Thread: VE Tuning - Can't do all at once....

Tuner in Training

VE Tuning - Can't do all at once....

Guyz, lots of useful information on these forums. I've been doing quite a bit of reading before I start tuning my '05 Avalanche. I've currently installed a CAI, Granatelli MAF, and an exhaust system. Right now, just trying to get the most out what I've got.

The question is this: I don't entire afternoons available that I can spend driving and re-tuning the VE. Does it cause any issues if I do 1-2 tuning sessions in a day, then upload a safe tune (stock or HPP3 or whatever) until I get another chance to tune again? I don't really want to drive around with an uncompleted tune.....

Also, I've seen conflicting information on various forums regarding VE tuning. Do you reset fuel trims between each scanning run or not? I've seen info that says do, and others that say don't.
    Havalanche
    2005 Avalanche Z71
    5.3L 3.42 Gears CAI 3" Flowmaster
    6" Pro-Comp Lift 35x12.50x17

Tuner

Reset Fuel trims

G'day, welcome to the board.
    No, taking your time do make changes will not make any difference. It is the sensible approach.
    Make sure you make small adjustments at a time. If you do this, you should be able to leave the tune in the car.
    Definitely reset the fuel trims between logging runs.
    Just out of curiosity, what fuel consumption do you get from the Avalanche?
    cheers
    Brian

one benefit of doing it over days is that your vehicle will have time to learn fuel trims...
    I like this approach so that you can pretty much just start driving and start logging...you dont need to get 30 minutes of data..though the usualy drive to work for some people may be this long..your fuel trims already being completely learned will mean that you only need maybe 10 minutes worth of data...
    but do be sure to remember to reset after you write to the PCM...LOL
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    I'm averaging right at 12 mpg. I also have a 6" lift with 35" tires, so I know it is affecting power and mileage. I'm actually getting the same mileage as my previous truck ('90 Chevy P/U, 5.7L, 3.42 gears, 33" tires, headers, exhaust and 1200 lbs lighter), so I don't really know the difference. I know gears would help, but I don't have those finances available yet. It amazes me the Avalanche is much heavier, but quicker than the old ride (except on takeoff thanks to the TQM - working on getting rid of that also).....
    Havalanche
    2005 Avalanche Z71
    5.3L 3.42 Gears CAI 3" Flowmaster
    6" Pro-Comp Lift 35x12.50x17