Thread: What do "No Throttle" and "Throttle Only" mean for transmission torque management?

Advanced Tuner

What do "No Throttle" and "Throttle Only" mean for transmission torque management?

I've been trying to understand what each of these values really mean for the transmission torque management settings. I've found two completely different definitions so far:

First one:
    - "No Throttle" means that torque control will be managed by spark adjustments.
    - "Throttle Only" means that only the throttle but no spark adjustments will be used for torque management.

Second one:
    - "No Throttle" is TM only on coast down or situations where the trans shifts under "no throttle" situations.
    - "Throttle Only" is TM only while the throttle is applied.

Can anyone confirm which definitions are correct?

Thank you!

the first one

The fields are the "suggested" method the ECM should use to manage torque
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you! So basically, "No Throttle" = "Spark-based" torque reduction and "Throttle Only" = "Throttle-based" torque reduction?

Any particular way to determine which "method" is best? Just trying to understand the settings a little better and why you'd use one over the other. Although, I'm guessing that it's just not as simple as "picking
    one or the other and that I'd need a lot more knowledge in order to determine when to use one and when to use the other - agreed?

Thanks again - appreciate the feedback!

usually trans torque management will want to use spark because you need a pretty quick reduction in torque for a short time (eg. shifting). If the torque reduction is longer term then it may use throttle as well.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you - thank makes perfect sense! :-)

A few more questions for anyone that knows - I'm having a hard time understanding what these parameters really mean:

The transmission "Limit TqMgt" settings. When enabled (trans temp below the "Enable Temp" value), does this "limit" the amount of torque management for each of the "modes" (upshift, downshift, etc)?

The Torque Reduction "Sync Down Skip" setting - can't seem to find what this one means...

Sorry for all of the questions - trying to learn what I can and not much info out there on some of these settings.

Thanks much!