Thread: GM Hot Cam HELP!!!

Potential Tuner

GM Hot Cam HELP!!!

I am trying to tune a truck with 5.3 and GM Hot Cam. Does anybody have a tune for this setup?

This thing has become a pain in my butt and been the hard thing I have ever tuned.

Please help!!

Post your tune and log, tell us the problem you are having, and maybe we can guide you through.
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Someone just did this recently, there is a whole thread on it. Do a search, if I come across is it Ill post the link.

Potential Tuner
    Here is the last tune I loaded. You may seem some crazy changes but that is what I had to do to get anything to happen. I thought I was headed in the right direction when I got idle to lean out but now the stumble has me messed up.

True MAF Tuning.hpt

Please Help I have tried everything I can think of.

Idle was running extremely rich now I got it to lean out but when you roll into the throttle it goes lean when it is about 2,000rpm and then drop to about 13.0. The idle is giving me the main problem.
    Last edited by Brett313; 02-07-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    You really need to start over. The MAF curve is destroyed and the secondary VE must exactly reflect the primary VE. Whenever a change is made to one the other must be changed. The idle airflow table does not look like it can be correct at all. Also you are still in MAF/SD blend mode. No way you can dial in either mode unless you set it in both individually.

After seeing your over/under table and some other things, I suggest you reload your stock file and start over. There are too many corrections to list that you need to make.

Start off with the following thread:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...e%20management

I will suggest some things:
    Do not set your PE throttle tables that way.
    You need more inital timing at idle, 20-22 is a good start.
    Fix your timing in your high octane and idle spark advance tables around the transition areas so you can have a smooth transition between spark tables. Poor spark timing tables combined with a poor VE tables and MAF tables can cause poor idle, surging, and bucking.
    Your VE and MAF tables need work and make sure you use the smooth function within reason.
    That over/under at -30 is excessive.
    You probably will need to work on your base running airflow table.

Get these things under control, then we can discuss adaptive and proportional tables.
    Last edited by POWERZONE; 02-08-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    [email protected]

Tuner
    I wouldn't put that cam in a 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by Brett313 View Post
    Here is the last tune I loaded. You may seem some crazy changes but that is what I had to do to get anything to happen. I thought I was headed in the right direction when I got idle to lean out but now the stumble has me messed up.

True MAF Tuning.hpt

Please Help I have tried everything I can think of.

Idle was running extremely rich now I got it to lean out but when you roll into the throttle it goes lean when it is about 2,000rpm and then drop to about 13.0. The idle is giving me the main problem.
    Did you ever get it running right ?

Quote Originally Posted by 02statesman View Post
    I wouldn't put that cam in a 5.3
    Im about to use the hot cam from my 6.0 in a 5.3.. id like to understand why you wouldn't .. i have no other cam to use besides the stock 5.3..

i know in the 6.0 i had off idle power loads more tq than the stock 6.0 cam..

iv heard a few people talking about no go with hot cam in 5.3.. but yet iv also seen people put it in a 4.8 and make more power..

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Im about to use the hot cam from my 6.0 in a 5.3.. id like to understand why you wouldn't .. i have no other cam to use besides the stock 5.3..

i know in the 6.0 i had off idle power loads more tq than the stock 6.0 cam..

iv heard a few people talking about no go with hot cam in 5.3.. but yet iv also seen people put it in a 4.8 and make more power..
    You will be just fine. It will have excellent low to midrange power. If using a truck intake, your intake will limit your rpm anyways.

Put it in and roll bro.
    [email protected]