Thread: C6 Corvettes with F55 faults make some PIDs disappear

Tuner

C6 Corvettes with F55 faults make some PIDs disappear

If you're tuning a C6 Vette with F55 "Magnaride"– this will be a ZR1, a Z06 w. Z07 or a Z51 w. F55–and you have a current ride control fault which requests a 158-mph speed limiter from the ECM, here's a tip for you....

When that happens, for some reason, likely known only to the folks at GM Powertrain who write the system software, some PIDs which are ordinarily available become "disabled". The lack of these PIDs (notably commanded AFR lo- and hi-res) can make tuning difficult or impossible.

So, if you have an F55 car with the "Service Ride Control" message on the IP display, fix that first before you try and tune the ECM. Unfortunately, only dealers have a scan tester which can read the Suspension Controller's memory.

I had a ride sensor with a bent (self-inflicted) mounting bracket. That allowed the sensor to go "over-center" and that cause a C0615-08 "invalid data" error. Bent the bracket back, repositioned the sensor arm and the link and viola, no more DTC, all those PIDs returned and once more I was a happy HPTuner.

It took me a while to figure this problem out and in the process, Bill tried hard to help me to the point of suggesting a Team Viewer session to help me determine if the problem was a user issue.

Thanks, Bill, for HPT's great customer service.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 02-06-2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added content

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for documenting this anomaly. I'm sure this could save someone a bit of stress in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    If you're tuning a C6 Vette with F55 "Magnaride"– this will be a ZR1, a Z06 w. Z07 or a Z51 w. F55–and you have a current ride control fault which requests a 158-mph speed limiter from the ECM, here's a tip for you....

When that happens, for some reason, likely known only to the folks at GM Powertrain who write the system software, some PIDs which are ordinarily available become "disabled". The lack of these PIDs (notably commanded AFR lo- and hi-res) can make tuning difficult or impossible.

So, if you have an F55 car with the "Service Ride Control" message on the IP display, fix that first before you try and tune the ECM. Unfortunately, only dealers have a scan tester which can read the Suspension Controller's memory.

I had a ride sensor with a bent (self-inflicted) mounting bracket. That allowed the sensor to go "over-center" and that cause a C0615-08 "invalid data" error. Bent the bracket back, repositioned the sensor arm and the link and viola, no more DTC, all those PIDs returned and once more I was a happy HPTuner.

It took me a while to figure this problem out and in the process, Bill tried hard to help me to the point of suggesting a Team Viewer session to help me determine if the problem was a user issue.

Thanks, Bill, for HPT's great customer service.
    That is interesting and good to know.

A tech ii can be had out of China for ~$300 now and are of at least decent quality from some sellers.. I'm thinking about picking one up but who knows. It would be have around every now and then.