Thread: Need help understanding TCC apply/release table (2009 CTS-V)

Potential Tuner

Need help understanding TCC apply/release table (2009 CTS-V)

I have a pullied and cammed automatic 2009 CTS-V. I'm looking at trying to adjust the converter lock-up characteristics and am not sure that I am correctly reading the way the TCC tables work. Essentially, I'm looking at the stock tables with no adjustments for gears 1-4 in sport mode and drive mode, and they don't make sense to me stock, which makes me think that I'm confused. Here are the stock tables:

Please tell me if the following interpretation of these tables is correct, because the way I'm understanding it doesn't make sense to me. In Pattern B (drive mode) and in Pattern A (sport mode), in 1st and 2nd gear, the converter never locks up, because the threshold mph to apply the torque converter clutch (TCC) is 151 mph. In 3rd and 4th gear, it will lock up at the mph's indicated for each throttle position.

In sport mode (pattern A), if you are at half throttle (50% TPS), the TCC will lock up in 3rd gear when you reach 50 mph. Even if you are floored (100% TPS), in sport mode (pattern A) then the converter will still lock in 3rd gear if you are going 52 mph or more. However, in normal drive mode (Pattern B), which I would expect to be TIGHTER not looser, the TCC won't lock up until 85 mph if you are at 100% TPS in 3rd gear (???). 4th gear seems to work the opposite, but more then way I would expect between sport and normal drive mode: In sport mode (pattern A), the TCC won't lock until 92 mph if you are floored, but in regular drive (pattern b) it stays locked over 37 mph in any throttle position.

Am I reading these tables correctly? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding anything here or I've misinterpreted anything.

Thanks!!
    Rich

Potential Tuner
    Okay, now I'm even more confused. Here are the same two tables, together with the WOT TCC apply/release tables:

The WOT values don't match the 100% TPS values in the other tables! They aren't even close! It does make a little more sense that the sport mode seems to unlock the converter at WOT in all 4 gears, but it still seems odd the way the pattern b table works. It's unlocked at high TPS but when you go WOT it then locks? Look at 3rd gear apply mph's in pattern B at higher TPS's compared to the WOT lock up point. I don't get it...

Senior Tuner
    Don't you love GM calibration engineers?

From what i see and have done myself.....you are reading those tables correctly. That's why being able to tune these things ourselves makes them better and cleaner than stock. If i remember right.....one of my many tuning books/binders i have had, read that it is best to copy your 100% values onto your WOT tables to stay consistent. Whether it helps....i don't remember.....didn't pay too much attention to which table @ 100% the tcm favored on the last 6 spd i tuned some time ago.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 02-05-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Find the Bluecat tuning software on this site. It does an amazing job helping you tune the A6 transmissions.
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692