Thread: DBW Throttle not opening when engine is running.

Tuner in Training

DBW Throttle not opening when engine is running.

Hello everyone,

I bought a complete swap (engine, tranmission, pcm, wiring, etc) from an 06 GTO (manual transmission). Following swap guides and wiring information provided by the seller I managed to get my engine running. The seller sent the ECM (e40) with the settings I requested for the swap(disable vats, rear o2 sensors, abs, etc).

The engine did start and run, we plugged in HP Tuners to check settings and everything was correct. We did a little change (idle speed) to check writing, and during the wite procedure the fuse blew and we lost the computer. I checked and the electrician installed a 5amp fuse in position of a 15amp fuse.

A friend borrowed me another e40 ecm also from an 06 GTO (automatic transmission). we plugged it in and the starter didn't get signal, so what I did was to wire the starter direct as an old chevy. I thought it was because we didn't have a neutral/parking signal wired. Doing this, the engine runs.

The problem is the throttle blade. When the engine is running, it doesn't open much. reading from the throttle goes from 20 when not pressed, to 40 when fully depressed. If the engine is not running, the throttle does opens almost fully and readings goes from 20 to 88.

I bough another e40 ECM from a 2006 Monte Carlo, to give my friend his one back. Did a write complete with the information of the original ECM which came with the engine, but problem is still the same.

any ideas welcome.

There's a table that defines max. throttle opening vs. gear or pedal position if I remember correctly. Look for something like "opening rate limit" or something like that and see what's in there. It would be under the Airflow tab, electronic throttle (in engine section)

If you the whole thing to 100 it will disable it

Not sure that is the problem, but perhaps it will help.

Also, you'd be a lot better off posting the tune and a log file of this happening.. it's really tough to help without that.

Likely the ECU is in low power mode if there are codes set. My E40 on LS1 will start in low power mode. if I shut it off and restart right away I get out of low power mode somehow. I have a known MAP problem with the ECU.

I don't rape PE tables cause I don't know what I am doing anyway....

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    There's a table that defines max. throttle opening vs. gear or pedal position if I remember correctly. Look for something like "opening rate limit" or something like that and see what's in there. It would be under the Airflow tab, electronic throttle (in engine section)

If you the whole thing to 100 it will disable it

Not sure that is the problem, but perhaps it will help.

Also, you'd be a lot better off posting the tune and a log file of this happening.. it's really tough to help without that.
    Thank you, I will check as soon as my own copy of the VCM Suite arrives (hopefully next week).

Quote Originally Posted by DGA View Post
    Likely the ECU is in low power mode if there are codes set. My E40 on LS1 will start in low power mode. if I shut it off and restart right away I get out of low power mode somehow. I have a known MAP problem with the ECU.
    There are currently no codes.

I do have my doubts about the work of the electrician who installed the fuses and relays to get the engine running, I had to modify what he did in order to get the engine running, So I'll rebuild this by myself.

Tuner in Training
    a good update on this.

The engine is working great now

What I finally did was to forget about the current ECM setup (not done by me), and started fresh. Downloaded a stock tune from the HP Tuners database, and change the needed settings for the swap (disable VATS, EVAP, ABS, Sensors, etc, etc, etc).

Did a "write-complete" of this new file into my ECM and it worked like a charm. Now, it's time to start the engine tune, so start driving it and logging to make a better calibration for my setup.

The sad part is that using a file from the HP Tuners repository takes credits, but I'm still very happy about the results.

This is the second fire up with the new file, If you dont' understand spanish I just say it's the result of 5 minutes of messing with HP Tuners.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...73370799778590

Quote Originally Posted by V8Torrent View Post
    a good update on this.

The engine is working great now

What I finally did was to forget about the current ECM setup (not done by me), and started fresh. Downloaded a stock tune from the HP Tuners database, and change the needed settings for the swap (disable VATS, EVAP, ABS, Sensors, etc, etc, etc).

Did a "write-complete" of this new file into my ECM and it worked like a charm. Now, it's time to start the engine tune, so start driving it and logging to make a better calibration for my setup.

The sad part is that using a file from the HP Tuners repository takes credits, but I'm still very happy about the results.

This is the second fire up with the new file, If you dont' understand spanish I just say it's the result of 5 minutes of messing with HP Tuners.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...73370799778590
    NO! You can open your old file and use the "compare" feature to compare your old file to the new one you downloaded. Then go through and set everything back to whatever stock is. There is a compare summary feature that will show you what is different, line by line...

You did not need to use any licenses for this, but I'm glad to see it worked at least

If you want to open the file you downloaded, just hit no thanks when it asks about licensing. You can still open it and view it, but just cannot save/write it.

The compare feature is really what you should have used though. Just open the "old" file, then go to compare-->open compare file. Then open the "new" one you downloaded from the repository.

From there you can show the "main" file, "compare" file, or, the delta between the two.

I would set it to show the deltas, then just go through and set everything to zero. Save as a new file.. and write. No licenses needed.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 03-06-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I have the same problem and desperate to find a solution. It's an LS2/e40 swap from 2005 Vette Auto installed with manual transmission. I have tried to change all the tables in Torque management and different Throttle area limits. The only result I can get is maxing out the table #12850 ETC TPS limits which let me get 88% of TPS. With such setup I can't get Spark advance higher than 5*, changing spark tables gives nothing. In any variation Engine torque can't go higher than 200NM and I can see in Channels ETC cut and Fuel cut goes for TqRed. It looks like it has some extra torque management I can't see and change by HP Tuners.
    I'll be able to post some logs and tunes in a few hours.

Tuner in Training

tune and log

ls2_s13 new_no tq1_88%.hpl
    ls2_s13 no tq_new_speed_42%.hpl
    ls2_s13_noVATS_noTQ2.hpt

The only difference in tune is ETC TPS Max under the Torque management tab

Tuner in Training
    Is it possible that I can't eliminate Torque Management completely without TCM connected? I'm afraid of bricking ECM with Manual Transmission tune. Not sure what OS I can can write down safely and finding another Corvette ECM is hell of a problem over here.
    Any thoughts or ideas might help. Please.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    NO! You can open your old file and use the "compare" feature to compare your old file to the new one you downloaded. Then go through and set everything back to whatever stock is. There is a compare summary feature that will show you what is different, line by line...

You did not need to use any licenses for this, but I'm glad to see it worked at least

If you want to open the file you downloaded, just hit no thanks when it asks about licensing. You can still open it and view it, but just cannot save/write it.

The compare feature is really what you should have used though. Just open the "old" file, then go to compare-->open compare file. Then open the "new" one you downloaded from the repository.

From there you can show the "main" file, "compare" file, or, the delta between the two.

I would set it to show the deltas, then just go through and set everything to zero. Save as a new file.. and write. No licenses needed.
    I guess he meant that his file was bad in some way. Mine was completely stock (minus VATS, secondary O2's and all that DTC's after swap) and doing the same.

I solved this by wiring pin 18 (Yellow, ACC power) to a different switch which should be powered on, before main ignition switch (imitate turning on the key). If I hit main ignition before ACC power then I'll get this 'half throttle mode' again. I don't know the reason for this behavior especially when a lot of people say that they don't use pin 18 during swap. I checked every single wire going to ECM, did at least 50 'write calibrations' and at least 20 'write entire' some of which were with OS change procedure, imitated brake pedal, clutch pedal, VSS and everything else that could affect this problem. When I hooked up pin 18 to main ignition switch Accelerator pedal or fuel pump stopped working, to make it work I had to disconnect battery.

I hope this helps someone or lead to find the reason of this issue.
    Last edited by Jay_od_ua; 12-13-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I had the same problem and I am so thankful for this post about pin 18 the yellow wire on ecm e40. Does anyone have another way to fix this issue. Thank you.