Thread: NGK WB cold ambiant

Tuner in Training

NGK WB cold ambiant

I have a NGK AFX with NTK sensor perm mounted in my LSA. It it powered at key on. I have read that cold start (rich / moisture) can shorten the life due to thermal shock of liquid contacting the ceramic. True or internal fable? Reality is, the car is dormant almost all winter and started to move/make space in garage. I will remove the sensor in the fall if it makes a difference.

Thank you in advance.

How many times do you actually start it during the winter?

Is it mounted so that the sensor would just sit in water (i.e. at the grounding facing area of the exhaust), or at a different angle?

I'm using an MTX-L from Innovate Motorsports.. mine is mounted so that water wouldn't be resting on it or anything, but mine has been used daily for the last 4 or 5 months and is still fine.. plenty of starts in cold weather with condensation in the exhaust and no problems thus far

Wouldn't be a bad idea to recalibrate the sensor every now and then though.. assuming that model uses the LSU 4.2 sensor (not sure). The newer 4.9 sensors don't require calibration.

TRUE. If the water actually hits the sensor. My 1996 TA I would fail them once or twice during the cold winter, shortly after starting... but it's placement was way down by the trans after the Y-pipe... sticking horizontal! Lots of water down there. Now I have a 2010 Camaro and I put this one on the left side, right next to the stock sensor right after the manifold... no problems in 2yrs! Start it any time of year... drive it lots during the winter. I would just make sure you heat the exhaust up good... dont just start it, move it, then stop it. Then all that water is sitting in the exhaust... but I guess you could have even more water build up from idling for 10-15mins and not driving... so... good luck
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires