Thread: cant get 3rd gear

Tuner in Training

cant get 3rd gear

so i have an 2001 2500hd lq4/4l80e swapped into an 87 k5 blazer, i have a vss pulse generator and all, long story short it would shift normal pop dtcs go to limp mode in 2nd and i could clear it and be fine for a few mins then limp mode again, i deactivated the DTC that kept popping and it drove great for a big loop through a few neighbor hoods (5-7 mile trip) down shifted at WOT like it should, shifted 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, on way home it popped another DTC, i turned it off and then had issues and could not get it to go into 3rd gear, just 1st like normal then 2nd, no 3rd, if i command 3rd it still wouldn't go in, if i tried 4th it act really weird, just rev up and all, i immediately un-commanded 4th as i did not like what it did, i put it back to an old tune, messed with stuff couldn't get it into 3rd, on my scanner it shows it shift into 3rd from 2nd (using the histro gram that tells you what gear your in) but never physically goes into 3rd, i recently replaced both shift solenoids hoping this would fix it, friend and i took it out and would not go into 3rd, showed it went into 3rd, but physically didnt go in like before, this has been a month of messing with tunes, checking wiring etc, any help or any suggestions, id appreciate as im at a lose with it atm. im going to post my tune if you all dont mind looking at see if i did something stupid or missed something, thanks!!

1987 K5 Tune 2 shift pressure.hpt

Senior Tuner
    From your description sounds like you burned it up. What is your tire size/brand/model, gear ratio, vss output, and vss install location?

Tuner in Training
    14 bolt ff with 4.56 gears, 38.5x15R16 SS boggers, VSS out put looking at tune is, "VSS pulses per (mile - 8,734), (rev - trans - 2.6602)" "VSS output pulses per (mile - 4.000) (mile - ABS 128,000), in the tune the final ratio i have as 3.73 and trans revolutions as 2,426.6600. under gear tire calc i have it as 22.91 and 3.73 gears, TBH i gave up on this between holidays and started getting back into it as of now so idk why its set as that but if i was to guess was cause its what made it correct on speedo.

the VSS is a dakota digital pulse generator installed into where the speedo cable goes into

even if the tune is absolutly terrible if i cant command it into 3rd would point at the transmission being shot correct? : \

Senior Tuner
    Most likely trans is shot yes. Your speedo section is incorrect, and it sounds like you have a transfercase with a speed gear in it to take into account as well.

Tuner in Training
    i was afraid of thats what this was coming to, i was hoping i could throw a manual valve body in it as a last resort but guess not lol, i only paid $150 for tranny, would it be worth getting it rebuilt/how much does one usually go for? or just throw a TH500 in it?

Tuner in Training
    Th400*

Tuner in Training
    Adjust your force motor tables in Trans I just had exact same prob it would act like it was slipping in 3rd even when commanded I turned mine to 500 and fixed it

Does that mean you changed the entire table to 500?