Thread: Idle flare going from gear to P/N

Idle flare going from gear to P/N

Tuning a freshly cammed 98 f-body and having a time idlling. It flares up when going from in gear to park or neutral. It's also going on cruise @ 2k. When I got the car you had to keep your foot on the gas just to keep it running so its came a long way but I'm just trying to work out the bugs before I get started VE tuning. The cam is a TSP 233/239 618/623 on a 112+2 Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

New tune, a little better.

Senior Tuner
    Two things to start. Timing between Idle and Cruise tables needs to be blended. There is way to large of a gap there and its going to make things very jumpy. With idle timing blended to regular tables, run Russ K's Idle Airflow again and try it out. Unless you've got a converter that is not set for that cam your tuning, timing and airflow tables should fix most of this. Is there a reason your Primary VE values haven't been transferred to the Secondary???
    Last edited by MMGT1; 02-23-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Two things to start. Timing between Idle and Cruise tables needs to be blended. There is way to large of a gap there and its going to make things very jumpy. With idle timing blended to regular tables, run Russ K's Idle Airflow again and try it out. Unless you've got a converter that is not set for that cam your tuning, timing and airflow tables should fix most of this. Is there a reason your Primary VE values haven't been transferred to the Secondary???
    Thanks, I'm sure that will help. I've been having a hard time to get this car to smooth out but happy with no learning that after the owner drove it 5 hrs away to work that the whole time it had an intermittent bad TPS. The car has a 639" lift cam and a bone stock converter so I'm sure that has a lot to do with the issue I'm having too.

Senior Tuner
    Get a stall asap, your going to have nothing but trouble. Lots of choices out there but I'd shoot Chris at Circle D a email and give him your mod list. He'll set you up right
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    After doing some idle tuning on a '98 with a 227/234 .614/.612 LSL/LXL 110 +2 and a 7.25" race clutch I'm sure with a stock stall you'll have a lot of issues. A few things did occur to me though looking at your tune:

In the Idle - Airflow tab:

Throttle follower decay - we had to increase these numbers more than you have to get rid of the cruse control.
    Throttle follower delay - why do you want to increase the delay before the decay starts at higher mph? We decreased ours (M6 may be different than an auto)

Throttle cracker - we also reduced these more than you have.

In Spark - Advance

Overspeed - We cut these values in half and that helped a ton with idle stability
    Underspeed - Same as above

Hope that helps. We had a hell of a time with ours....

Jason

Senior Tuner
    With a stock stall what you have to do to the RAF when a cam is involved makes things very hard. It will shift hard into drive from neutral or park after running the idle trim config for tuning(Russ's). I reduced shift time at reported Tq for idle to help it a bit. It works but its not right, need a stall asap myself. Must be a terrible bog your dealing with as well off the line. Ive done a small cam and the stock stall is making me crazy.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    With a stock stall what you have to do to the RAF when a cam is involved makes things very hard. It will shift hard into drive from neutral or park after running the idle trim config for tuning(Russ's). I reduced shift time at reported Tq for idle to help it a bit. It works but its not right, need a stall asap myself. Must be a terrible bog your dealing with as well off the line. Ive done a small cam and the stock stall is making me crazy.
    No bog at all, this thing screams, its just that dang flare when going from gear to P or N.