Thread: Lnf guys.. Horsepower and mods ??

Tuner in Training

Lnf guys.. Horsepower and mods ??

Hey guys, 1st off let me say thanks for the help so far with my newbie tuning questions. I watched Cobalt's tuning vids and got my car pretty lined out so far. I'm sure my tune is still very conservative but wow so much fun to drive now!
    I see a lot of people posting that you can get 400hp out of a these cars pretty easily.
    My question is how?
    What mods are you doing?
    How much Hp can the stock turbo handle? How much can the motor handle?
    Is 400hp still pretty safe or right on the edge?

I guess my main question is.... I have a 08 Solstice GXP Auto with 73k. Its my daily driver that I would like to hit the track with on the weekends and spank my buddy's Mustang on the street. What modifications would you suggest for me and what 1/8th or 1/4 times (here in Texas) are realistic for that set up.

Catless dp, e47, Cobalt SS Brembos or other calipers. Stock brakes you will not stop or slow on track.

Tuner in Training
    Got the down pipe. Trying to find info on the SS brakes now. I have already noticed the brakes are weak. I've looked in to some kits but didn't want to spend $3k for front and back. So I am very interested in the cobalt ss swap.

Just finished it. Swap in less than 30 min after the wheels off. Only thing you have to do is open up the center of the rotors. Real easy at a machine shop. Everything else bolts on.

Rotors are 1" larger (much more swept area), Brembos are fixed for way better brake feel instead of that mush potato and no stopping with the stock calipers, pads are at least 30% larger (didn't measure exactly), and Brembo pistons have 36% more surface area fo 36% more brake force per caliper for the same applied pressure (yes I did calculate the area of the pistons vs stock).

Tuner in Training
    Awesome! Where did you get your parts?

Tuner in Training
    Do they work with stock wheels?

Though they're just a dealer's parts department, crateenginedepot.com has the kit put together for ~$900. Calipers bolt on directly. Don't need the Cobalt brake lines. Use Solstice braided.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...olstice-70919/

Also, you'll have to switch the calipers to the opposite side to keep the bleeders on top. Cobalts run front calipers in front of the rotor, Solstice runs them on the back side.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bil doe. All the searches I do looking for solstice info seem to pull up the solstice forum but there is sooooo much conflicting information on that forum. Even that link you posted is ton of conflicting info over the 6 pages. Last page ending with 'you dont need upgraded brakes just good pads even for racing'. $900 is crazy pricing for stock breaks. I found remand SS calibers for $70 each and cross drilled&Slotted rotors with pads for $170 for front pair.

Anybody who says you can use stock or autox pads and dot3 fluid on track has a) never been on track, or b) one of those people driving so slow on track they should have stayed on the freeway. Don't play cheap with safety equipment. It's your life.

I have the brakes mounted. The calipers bolt on. Open the rotor center to 70mm and the rotors fit fine. Install took me <30min not including swapping the banjo bolt and brake line over.