Thread: 4.3 V6 supercharger camshaft conversion

4.3 V6 supercharger camshaft conversion

I have been running a 6psi Wynjammer supercharger on my stock engine for 4 years. I have made tweaks as needed to run it within reason. I have an engine file attached as to how it is setup using a stock camshaft. (NOTE: Using Accel Supercoil, TRG55 plugs, JBA shorty headers, stage 2 street/strip 4L60E transmission with 2600rpm stall TC, have posi 3.73 rearend diff, stock tire height.)

When I put a new stock 4.3L V6 engine in my truck, I am going to remove the stock cam and add a supercharger cam to compliment the low boost range I am running in. Could someone help me with the necessary changes I need to make to my current engine profile to compliment the supercharge camshaft profile? My concerns are proper idle and modest drive-ability once the engine is in. I will tweak as I drive it daily. Please see below:

Stock Cam Profile
    191/195 @ .050”, 260/263 adv, .414”/.429” lift, 111 lobe sep, 106 int center line

Supercharger Cam Profile
    218/224 @ .050”, 270/277 adv, .492”/.501” lift, 114 lobe sep, 114 int center line/114 exh

NOTE: I am running only a stock MAP sensor, so the method used to compensate for the boost is by bringing in the Power Enrichment at 1500rpms. This has worked "OK" for 4 years. I will eventually convert to an aftermarket system. But, in the meantime, I will need to get this engine up and running to drive. I am aware of many other aspects, however, feel free to bring them up as "Future" concerns once I get the engine up and running.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Why not upgrade to 2 bar o/s and add a 2 bar map? Pretty straight forward, your o/s is same as v8, just follow a v8 tuning guide.

My apologies... It would help to state that this is a 2003 S10 with a reprogrammed stock blue/green PCM.

Mechanicman:
    I am using the stock MAF on my current setup. Is the upgrade you are speaking of a MAF or SD setup?

Senior Tuner
    sd setup.

I doubt your maxing the Maf with only 6 psi on a 4.3 engine. The idle tuning is the same as the Gen III V8's

Russ Kemp

Russ K: Sorry this has been almost 9 months (Life has prevented this projects from happening)... However, you said that "The idle tuning is the same as the Gen III V8's"... Would this be for the new cam I list above (not the stock cam) with 4-6psi of boost on the 4.3L V6?

If so, where could I find the Gen III V8's tune? Thank you in advance for any assistance you could provide.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by natewhite1 View Post
    Russ K: Sorry this has been almost 9 months (Life has prevented this projects from happening)... However, you said that "The idle tuning is the same as the Gen III V8's"... Would this be for the new cam I list above (not the stock cam) with 4-6psi of boost on the 4.3L V6?

If so, where could I find the Gen III V8's tune? Thank you in advance for any assistance you could provide.
    Yes, because the V6 operating system uses the same control methods and table structure as the LS engines. Your cam is nearly the same size as my turbo cam, but you have slightly less intake duration (and less overlap) so it wound be that difficult to get it dialed in.

You can also convert the stock ECU to run a 2 Bar custom OS (SD only) for more adjustability under boost if you decide to increase things, but if you stay at 4-5 psi, the MAF configuration will be just fine. You may consider going up to a LS2 MAF with the screen left in.

Finally, power enrichment at 1500 RPM is quite premature for a centrifugal SC. It likely isn't really making boost till about 2000-2500 RPM. Adjust your PE trigger to 85-90 KPA and set your TPS trigger really low so that PE only happens at high MAP. Increase your enrichment ramp to 1.00.
    Jaime

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    For clarity I'm pretty sure Russ means you follow the basic methodology of tuning your PCM as if it were from a V8, not necessarily using the same table values found in a tune for a V8.