Thread: 2012 F150 5.0L Brake-Over-Assist/Won't Powerbrake help.....

'12 F150 5.0L Brake-Over-Assist/Won't Powerbrake help, video included

Hey guys,

I'm working on doing a tune for a 2012 F150 5.0L, and I'm having trouble getting all the parameters adjusted to prevent the dreaded traction control light coming on during a power brake attempt. I've tried adjusting some of the Torque Management parameters, throttle parameters and others, but am having no success. I've made sure the traction control is disabled by pressing the button once, then holding it to turn Advance Trac off as well, but once I power brake a little and lift, it spins for about 3 seconds then the trac light flashes and it quits.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what tab/table I need to be working on, I will gladly work on learning it from there. Not looking for a handout, just some advice if possible.

Thanks!
    Last edited by 96gt4.6; 01-20-2015 at 04:21 PM.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Maybe try disabling it in the tune?

Go to Engine>Torque Management>Traction Control System and set to 0 to Disable.

You should also remove all other torque management or raise the values to avoid this happening.

Start with that and report back.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Tuner in Training
    Pretty sure traction control off will have no effect. This is a DBW safety feature, if you hit the brakes, it pulls throttle.

Kevin you are correct, I've tried changing some of the parameters for the Traction Control with no luck.

I'm obviously missing a parameter somewhere. I have traction control disabled, and then hold the traction control button until Advance Trac is off as well.

Here's a video demonstrating the issue. Right after the tires start to spin, the power is cut. I'm just not certain which table I should be looking for on this.

Thanks for the help guys.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Ford even has published some information on the subject:

BRAKE OVER ACCELERATOR FEATURE - 2011 - 2013 FORD AND LINCOLN PRODUCTS
    THE BRAKE OVER ACCELERATOR (BOA) FEATURE REDUCES ENGINE POWER DURING OFF-IDLEDRIVING WHEN BOTH THE ACCELERATOR AND BRAKE PEDALS ARE APPLIED SIMULTANEOUSLY.REFER TO THE PC/ED SECTION 1 UNDER POWERTRAIN CONTROL SOFTWARE FOR ADDITIONALINFORMATION ON BOA. PRIOR TO DIAGNOSING THE FOLLOWING CUSTOMER CONCERNS: LOSS OF POWER, HESITATION, ENGINE SURGE, AND/OR LACK OF THROTTLE RESPONSE WITHOUT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES, REVIEW THE BOA FUNCTION WITH THE CUSTOMER. THE CUSTOMER MAY BE CONTACTING THE BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDAL AT THE SAME TIME, MOST COMMONLY ASSOCIATED WITH TWO FOOT DRIVING
    '17 Whipple'd S550

The issue is similar to this thread. There isn't much available in the 2.24 Scanner to guide me either when I connect to this truck.

Eric, if you read this, I'd be willing to do logs immediately when I receive the notification if necessary.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...n-gear-limiter
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    Kevin you are correct, I've tried changing some of the parameters for the Traction Control with no luck.

I'm obviously missing a parameter somewhere. I have traction control disabled, and then hold the traction control button until Advance Trac is off as well.

Here's a video demonstrating the issue. Right after the tires start to spin, the power is cut. I'm just not certain which table I should be looking for on this.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Test if it closes the throttle while the vehicle is moving. If its related to the above BOA logic, then we can figure out how to disable it. BOA doesnt work above 40 MPH.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Will do Eric, i'll have a log this evening sometime. When I connect to this truck via the 2.24 scanner, it comes up as a 2012 Silverado, I take it that's normal?
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Ok, I logged every parameter I could find to do with the ETC system. The scanner ID's it as a Silverado, and PID list is very small, so hopefully this helps with what's needed. I also did a video to demonstrate.

Here is a log, along with the config, and current tune file I'm using. All of the settings in the tune are stock, less some throttle parameter work, speed limiter, and P/N revv limiter. I didn't want to change anything else until I get a grasp of what table/tab I need to start in to rid the truck of the 'limiter' or 'truncation' that's occurring.

Here's the tune file, along with a log file during the event in the video, and the matching scanner config file:

F150 No Spin.cfg
    F150 No Spin1.hpl
    Modified 10-23-14.hpt

Thanks for the help!

Al
    Last edited by 96gt4.6; 01-24-2015 at 08:48 AM.
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    Will do Eric, i'll have a log this evening sometime. When I connect to this truck via the 2.24 scanner, it comes up as a 2012 Silverado, I take it that's normal?
    Yes, it will be correct in 2.25 Scanner.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

^ Awesome! Can't wait till that 2.25 scanner drops, the 2.25 Editor is very nice!

Here's some information on one of my old threads that's coming alive again. I should get the chance to poke at the F150 again soon. The tune file I attached to this thread is stock on all the trans truncation and Torque Management tables at present just for those that might point that out. I'm simply trying to get a general direction as to which tab/area I need to work on, instead of taking the blunt approach and changing each table (that looks like it might have something to do with this issue) one at a time. With a write time of almost 4 minutes each time I flash the ecu, i'm trying to reduce my time spent 'guessing'.

The GM ECU's are easier to employ the 'guess and check' strategy on, as they have about a 30 second write time. But i'm not complaining! I love the fact Ford's are unlocked!

Thanks again to all that have helped!
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Tuner in Training
    Very interested in this too. I cannot powerbrake my trucks at all..... and doing it at the track repeatedly just makes the truck fall on its face. Of course brake drop and throttle stabs result in expected results of tire smoke but the BOA kills it if you try the two at the same time.

On the one Raptor forum I am on the one tuner is selling a "burnout" tune so it is possible to kill with SCT apparently. I definitely want to know how to do it as well. My one 6.2 truck is going heads/cams/long tubes and I want to be able to properly abuse it lol.

I too would like to integrate the Raptor "offroad" mode into my two trucks. I know a person can add the TCCM and the button but making it function correctly is another story.
    Last edited by Badass69; 02-03-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I've subscribed to this thread because I've purchased an F150 Coyote and 6R80 pull out for a car project. As I won't be using the F150 Cluster I want to be able to disable all the traction control stuff in the PCM

Still no luck. I've tried all the tables described below, with the same result. The traction light flashes right when it starts to spin. I even disabled traction control in the tune by setting the value to 0 as indicated.

Anyone else having any luck with this issue?

'17 Whipple'd S550

Tuner in Training
    I too have that setting at 0 and it did nothing for my truck. I still have an SCT and I ordered the "Burnout" tune from the vendor I mentioned earlier to see what happens. I don't know if all traction control functions will be dead or what. If they are that certainly would not break my heart.

Advanced Tuner
    In SCT the category to change is Drive By Wire > Max Torque At Given RPM In Park Or Neutral. Set to high number in order that no TQ reduction occurs during power shifting and burnouts.

I don't have a F series tune, but looking at a stock GT, A6 tune, I believe the equivalent category in HPT is Engine > ETC Torque Management > ETC Torque Max vs RPM. I would try maxing out the top 3 cells and lowering the top RPM scale to 600 similar to the attachment. If that doesn't work, max out all cells. Good luck!

TQ clip.png
    Last edited by txcharlie; 04-03-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Just tried as suggested above and maxed all the cells but I don't think it totally works. On wet pavement with the E locker not engaged I get a one tire fire with the brakes on which on wet ground I think I always could easily do. Pull the e locker on and its dead.. 1500 rpm and nothing more.... Now whether the e locker throws a wrench in I don't know. This is all on wet ground and the truck should light both that way... it seemed to even pull power on dirt with the e locker on power braking. The one tire is so easy to spin and it being wet out I don't see the truck not doing it as I had before without touching the parameters. Maybe it works though unless the e locker is on and that then somehow sets another limitation. The E locker is fed to the trucks TCCM so.. not sure there. The truck I tried has over 1500 lbs in the bed..... but my 6.2 lights them pretty easy regardless of that without the brakes....

My other truck with no weight would be the true test. I am yanking it's E locker in favour of a Detroit though so if this particular mod works without the Electronic locker in the rear engaged... well I will be grand!
    Last edited by Badass69; 04-03-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Any updates on this issue?

I have a customer that is disappointed his supercharged F-150 (auto) won't do a burnout.