Thread: ATS/Regal ECU Pinout

Advanced Tuner

ATS/Regal ECU Pinout

Does anyone have info on the pinouts to these ECUs? Any idea if they're the same ECU? I don't know what their code is...

Thanks!
    Matt K

Tuner in Training
    best place to look for that is ALLDATA. that's where I got mine for the LNF, but not sure if its the same ECU

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Anyone have access that they could snag that for me?

Advanced Tuner
    They do both have a K20 ECU. ECU pin outs are different, but if you are wondering if a computer would work from one of them to the other. I would say yes, would just need to be programmed to change for the different sensors.

Advanced Tuner
    It's not so much that I want to swap between those cars. I want to swap the E69 in my Solstice out for the Regal ECU. Should be a matter of swapping the plugs on the wiring harness, getting a TF tune to get rid of the VATS and VIN learn, and making sure the right wires go to the right pins.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i thought the regal ecu had vats access in hpt. only the E69 is locked down to the bcm if i'm remembering correctly.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    I would say that should definitely be possible. You would just need connector view pin out of both ECUs. But just curious what is the advantage of going to the K20 ECU?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    i thought the regal ecu had vats access in hpt. only the E69 is locked down to the bcm if i'm remembering correctly.
    I will have to check that...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    I would say that should definitely be possible. You would just need connector view pin out of both ECUs. But just curious what is the advantage of going to the K20 ECU?
    There is a whole lot more control in the Regal ECU. Many more tables unlocked since it is used in very many vehicles. Also, I thought it was the E39 ECU? Might be wrong on that though. Pull up a map of the E69 Solstice GXP ECU and one of the Regal ECU, you will see what I mean. Mainly, the flex fuel control is what I am after, but also just so many other little things. It would be like running a standalone for DI, but will only cost me around $500.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry, yes you are correct. It is a E39 ECU. I have AllData and it was calling it a K20 ECU. Put I pulled a file for a 2012 Buick Regal GS and it does say E39. I also see that it does have access to disable VATS under HP Operating System. Well good luck with the project and keep us updated with the results. I would definitely be interested in seeing the results from switch to a ECU with more tuning support.

Advanced Tuner
    Will do, I want the pin outs to see how difficult it will be, I am not sure if all of the work would be worthwhile, or not...

Advanced Tuner
    2012 Buick Regal GS ECU Pinout. X1-Blue, X2-Black, X3-Grey.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Here is the rest of the pictures of the pinout for 2012 Buick Regal GS.

Advanced Tuner
    2008 Pontiac Solstice ECU pinout.

Advanced Tuner
    I hope those help.

Advanced Tuner
    That's what I need! Thanks for the help, I'll look over them in the morning.

Advanced Tuner
    I want to revisit this, since my car is down for the winter now for an engine build.

Is this something feasible with the Regal plugs? Is it as simple as pulling the pins off of the E69 plug and putting them in the E39 plug (I know it won't be that easy)?

The physical swap is the "easy" part for me to work through in my head, but what about a base tune? I don't quite understand how VATS and things work... does that mean I could run the E39 in my Solstice and have it communicate with the BCM for gauges and traction control and what not?

Tuner
    i am almost certain the pins won't be the same. unfortunately you can't just de-populate the E69 plug and put those pins into the E39 plug. you'll either have to make a jumper harness E69 to E39, or cut your E69 harness, or splice into every wire.
    Engine operation should be very easy, since the LNF is basically identical to the LHU according to that other forum thread.
    Gauges... i have on clue, i would be very interested to find out, given the size of the OEM, i sure HOPE that they carry the same protocol and you can just plug and play for the gauges. Most of that stuff should be over CAN anyway, with a little luck it uses the same messages.

Advanced Tuner
    I would be fine cutting my OEM harness, as long as I knew the gauges and stuff would work when I am done. I have no clue how to find the compatibility of the CAN signals, that and the VATS (which can be turned off in HPT on the E39) are the two things most confusing to me.

Did this get anywhere?

What about the E-92 ECU for the LTG Crate Motor?

--Christian