Thread: having trouble adjusting timing

Advanced Tuner

having trouble adjusting timing

Hello, im in the process of tuning a 2013 f150 with a 5.0. Truck is totally stock but customer wants a little more power out of it without mods. I am basically new to ford tuning and i come from a GM background.

However im trying to add timing to it and it just doesnt work but the main problem is i don't fully understand all the timing tables. What i did was add timing(about 6 degress) to all the 17 borderline knock tables and also added timing to all the 16 MBT spark tables(also 6 degrees) and the result i got was no more timing. I then lowered the BLK tables to stock and left the MBT tables at the 6 more degrees and i got 3-4 more degrees resulting in 28-29 total timing. I then added more timing to the MBT tables and left the current tune at 21 more degrees over stock which didnt give more timing then 3-4 total degrees over stock.

My question is which is the main timing table and were do i need to add values to gain more timing? I heard people leaving the MBT tables stock but that didnt give me any better results. Also what are the "optimum power" tables under BLK spark and MBT spark?

The problem is commanding more then 28-29 degrees of timing might be a little too much.

There are adders and subtractors for timing as per the Variable Cam position.

Are you logging any knock?

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Senior Tuner
    Borderline should be the main table your after there. Something I've noticed in tuning a friends Mustang here is smoothing those timing tables, all of them, made for a much smoother accel and overall feel to the car. Seat of the pants I could just feel it was not right, figured Id give smoothing their tables a shot and see how it felt. Well the result was really good, worth taking the time to do it imo
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin' View Post
    The problem is commanding more then 28-29 degrees of timing might be a little too much.

There are adders and subtractors for timing as per the Variable Cam position.

Are you logging any knock?
    Was logging -2 degrees knock at WOT but why would it read -120 something degrees knock at part throttle?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Borderline should be the main table your after there. Something I've noticed in tuning a friends Mustang here is smoothing those timing tables, all of them, made for a much smoother accel and overall feel to the car. Seat of the pants I could just feel it was not right, figured Id give smoothing their tables a shot and see how it felt. Well the result was really good, worth taking the time to do it imo
    Okay, ill see what i can do. Are you just smoothing them with the tool hpt has or are you smoothing manually?

Also why does it have all the mapped points? Do they have something to do with the variable cam?

Quote Originally Posted by askkmb View Post
    Also why does it have all the mapped points? Do they have something to do with the variable cam?
    Yes, each Mapped Point has a intake and exhaust cam position associated with it. So for Mapped Point, the Spark, Torque, and VE will vary.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Okay got it. Also how do you adjust optimum power to come on sooner? Here is the stock tune:1. 13 ford f150 stock 5.0.hpt

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    what fuel you are running, thats alot of timing
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    what fuel you are running, thats alot of timing
    87 octane but im at 6000 feet above sea level so i usually run more timing then someone would at lower altitude. But this is only about 4 degrees above stock.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    how is your "engine Load" readings
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Ill get a log on here soon.