Thread: 90 irocz Ls1 swap idle issues

Tuner in Training

Fresly Built Ls1, Cammed,Stalled

long storie short followed a couple tuning guides but cant seem to dial in idle at this time

brief overview of engine
    mild ported 243 heads
    new rebuilt block 99 ls1
    ls6 intake
    ported maf ends 4" cold air intake
    ported stock trottle body
    42lb injectors
    3600 stalll shift kit etc
    long tubes
    EPS Cam 228/23- .600/.600 112

first intial strat it wouldnt start at all just backfire like crazy check plugs and was runnig pig rich only really ran while feathering trottle
    fyi this is first time tuning for
    so i research abunch of how to guides , and messwith hptuner a bit for past 3 days
    been mainly messing with the spark and idle airflow
    well i got it to run starts idling above 1000rpm fine but once she starts to warm up and rpm drop below 900 and below starts to get rich and backfiring then eventually cutsoff

also while idling its not a very steay idle it jumps around up or down but not by much around 50-100 rpm or so

i know im probably doing evering thing wrong lol but highly interested in learning just need some guidance

been using krambo tuning and idle guide which got me idling but rough idle at that but alot better than before
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zach/90\irocZ; 02-23-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Going to double check headers and any leaks that's throwing of O2 which in turn is leaning out and adding fuel which will then stall engine at lower rom level

Tuner in Training
    Figured out why I was leaning , don't use Allen header bolts doesnt create a good seal for header , going to dial it in some more in coming days was trying to tune around my issues stated above, it so I'm start from scratch to see if it be closer to how I like
    L
    Ran from cold to 220 no back firing at all till it reach around 220 and it backfire here and there

Should I start over to get more accurate idle airflow or that wouldn't change much

Next step is to hit the street and dial in STFT and LTFT ,PE

Tuner in Training
    ok so still having idle issues

it idles but once it drops it starts to backfire due to rich or lean im not sure then I just shut engine off in fear of hurting engine
    Iac hover around 140ish to 200 even at operating temp
    I tired adjusting throttle blade screw and zeroing out the TPS I even tried drilling throttle blade out just seems like I cant lower my iac counts to get a stable idle

I would really like some help with this been going at this for like a month here and there
    I changed out coils and spark plug wires all sensors are new but haven't replace any I installed cam dot to dot
    Im sure im missing out important info

to keep it from backfiring I have to gas it
    if i let car run once it gets up to temp it starts to backfire then eventually dies

I did a short drive around block but just don't feel likes it ready to take a drive to get a good datalog
    it backfires really loud from exhaust
    here is my logs

22feb20148.hpl drove around the block with this log

22feb20146.hpl these log are in park
    22feb20145.hpl

will try to drive and get a longer data log with this tune
    Last edited by Zach/90\irocZ; 02-23-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Tuner
    Zach,

It seems you bit off more than you can chew for the first time. Do yourself a favor and read these 2 books... thoroughly ... then give it another shot. I will say, that you need to put down the drill and gather all the data you can on the injectors, but for god's sake read these 2 books. I'd suggest some other material, but these two books are less than $40 combined. You can find them on Amazon (paperback or through kindle app), GooglePlay Store, iBooks so you could download and start reading tonight.

Link to the 2 Books (paperback... electronic versions for computer/phone you can easily find with a search on your device's store)
    http://www.amazon.com/Greg-Banish/e/B001JOVJT2

I'm not one to complain about grammar, but try to use some punctuation so that someone can follow your train of thoughts. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but that's probably *part* of the reason you haven't gotten a reply from someone. You seem willing to learn, but you need to take the time to read these 2 short but very very sweet books. I did an LS1 Swap a long time ago so I understand how hard it is to keep the excitement at bay long enough to think logically.

Good Luck.

Side Note: If you don't put the effort into understanding what's actually going on (reading those books, which are about the cheapest approach to the real answers your looking for), it will be very apparent all the people here who probably already know what your problems are. Buy a wideband O2 sensor, and read the 2 books again while you wait for the wideband to come in.

Again, Good Luck

Charles
    Last edited by A_W_O_L; 02-24-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    Murphy's Laws of War:
    Bullets Have The Right-Of-Way
    Friendly Fire....Isnt
    If It Is Strong Enough The Enemy Cant Get In....You Cant Get Out
    Tracers Point Both Ways

Advanced Tuner
    Which 42 lb injectors do you have? First thing you need is to have the proper injector data in your tune. Do you have a return style fuel rail or returnless? Going by your tune your injector data flow rate vs kpa is setup for a returnless style fuel system.
    Your olfa table is also setup to run rich all the time.

Tuner in Training
    Yea I got injector data on injectors

Just did datalog and car was running lean actually so I added fueling so I got LTFT

Still backfires like crazy and at idle also
    I retighten headers hopefully that solves it

For starters, remove about 1.5 g/sec from your RAF table in both in gear and P/N. Next put your Adaptive idle Airflow Min/Max back to stock (-3/.5 g/s respectively). Try the attached ,cfg while logging

Ed M

RAF Tuning99plusLS1fbody.cfg
    Last edited by mowton; 03-01-2015 at 06:58 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    i have a similar config i do need to redo my RAF tho
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    For starters, remove about 1.5 g/sec from your RAF table in both in gear and P/N. Next put your Adaptive idle Airflow Min/Max back to stock (-3/.5 g/s respectively). Try the attached ,cfg while logging

Ed M

RAF Tuning99plusLS1fbody.cfg

Tuner in Training
    so i made some adjustments to the VE tables and not running as lean anymore, still need more adjustments.
    still having idle issues thow and when i control spark advance it clears up when i advance up to 40,
    but dies eventually but no backfire but that is too much advance also IAC comes in line between 40-60.
    But once advance drops to around 20-30 and idle goes to crap.
    I believe that the RAF needs to be adjusted Higher??
    now i think i have a vacuum leak i believe i know when i installed map sensor,
    it was loose so i will put some gasket maker on it and see if that helps with the vacuum
    all gaskets are new and torque intake down properly also.
    so things are moving forward slowly i guess but here are updated logs and tune
    I also did alittle drive and there hesitation and just lack of power,
    so i think that goes along with possible vacuum leak and or just bad tune.

1mar15 - datalog i was playing with the idle advance bi drectional control and as you can see a result of raising advance to 40 idle improves

28Feb15 - datalog just shows the improvment of LTFT with my added VE changes (added fueling due to lean conditions) , i eyeballed some cells and just followed the trend

Tuner in Training
    Ahh finally figure out I was doing everything right and turns out when I check the harness cylinder 5-6 and and 4-6 Ignition control wires where switch so technically was running on 4 cylinders also double check cam alignment

Runs and idles just fine now lol

Big sigh and relief and yes it is a big bite to chew but atleast I kept chewing to eventually digest lol

Thanks for the help guys