Thread: Need help with 6.0 swap idle tuning issues

Potential Tuner

Need help with 6.0 swap idle tuning issues

I have a 2002 6.0 that I swapped into my 78 Camaro and I'm having trouble getting it tuned correctly. I have purchased the Master EFI Tuner GM EFI how manual written by Dan Maslic and followed the suggestions there along with other information I have gathered from reading plenty of post. However, I'm still having issues. My main problem that I can't seem to correct is initial startup, if I do not give the car gas and then let it idle back down slowly then it will try to hunt for an idle and then go dead. If I slow the idle down with the throttle to the point that the ecu catches it then it seems to be steady and will even catch itself when blipped, even though it is fluctuation by quite a few rpm which I believe the hunting is mostly due to the fact that I haven't figured out everything with the throttle cracker and follower. The engine when installed has long tube headers, cold air intake, and a comp cams XFI XE-R 281HR. Everything else on the engine is stock.

Attached are the latest log file where you will see that I had to get it started and then I blipped the throttle a few times to show that it would catch, also the latest tune I used.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sounds like you need a tad more air or less fuel in your idle areas.

Try adding 2 grams to your base running airflow table P/N.

Also your VE table in your idle areas looks a little rich for a cam of that size.
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the information powerzone. I was at a loss as to which tables I should try to tweak for the warm engine starting conditions so I hope this will help me get back in the right direction. I will try your suggestions and update with the results. I would like to add that from cold starting conditions it starts up and idles fine without any assistance.

Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by custom22 View Post
    Thank you for the information powerzone. I was at a loss as to which tables I should try to tweak for the warm engine starting conditions so I hope this will help me get back in the right direction. I will try your suggestions and update with the results. I would like to add that from cold starting conditions it starts up and idles fine without any assistance.

Thanks again for the help.
    Since your cold start up is fine and is not having any issues, make sure to only add the 2 gram increments to the P/N engine coolant temp that relates to the temp when you are having these issues.

I would still suggest fine tuning your idle areas of your VE and MAF tables.
    Last edited by POWERZONE; 01-05-2015 at 01:16 AM.
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Hey Powerzone, I had a chance to try your suggesting last night and they worked awesome. Car is cranking and idling really well at various temperature ranges. I started with the 2 grams as you suggested and then made a few minor adjustments to some of the higher temperature ranges and it seems to be doing fine. I am currently still working to fine tune the MAF and VE tables, but it seems to be making great progress. I just wanted to thank you again for the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by custom22 View Post
    Hey Powerzone, I had a chance to try your suggesting last night and they worked awesome. Car is cranking and idling really well at various temperature ranges. I started with the 2 grams as you suggested and then made a few minor adjustments to some of the higher temperature ranges and it seems to be doing fine. I am currently still working to fine tune the MAF and VE tables, but it seems to be making great progress. I just wanted to thank you again for the assistance.
    Glad to help!
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Do a search for Russ K idle config and you can get your base running airflow for idle dialed in.