Thread: noob question

Tuner in Training

noob question

soo ive been getting back into tuning, I had a question regarding tuning the ignition tables. ive been reading a lot that N/A 4cyl engines like to run 25-34 degrees of timing for maximum performance. guess my question is, when tuning the ignition tables, if the tables reads for example @ 7200RPM reading 27.8 and 28.2 but the actual timing reads 25 degrees at that RPM. when people say the these motors like to run 25-34 degrees of timing, do they refer to the ACTUAL timing or adjusting the tables from 25-34 degrees accordingly to RPM?

any help would be greatly appreciated, as im getting ready to take my car to the dyno and start tuning.

Thanks!
    The first LNF with Darton Sleeves!
    5857 runing strong! goals for the end of the year= 450whp... almost there
    goals for next year= 500whp.... will be there!
    Treadstone Stage 4 Kit
    Learning how to tune

Advanced Tuner
    They would be talking about demanded timing and actual timing. If it is demanding 27* and it is only running 25* then some other table is making that 2* difference be pulled from the actual timing. Example Torque Management, ECT, IAT, Knock, etc.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    They would be talking about demanded timing and actual timing. If it is demanding 27* and it is only running 25* then some other table is making that 2* difference be pulled from the actual timing. Example Torque Management, ECT, IAT, Knock, etc.
    ok so what the number on the table is its what the actual timing should be. if its not, then I have to adjust other areas correct?

I ask because last night I was data logging a base map and found out that tables are set from 4500RPM to 7200RPM @ WOT with the cells reading from 22 - 28 degrees accordingly, but the ACTUAL timing read 25 degrees at 7200 RPM... what should I be looking at to get those extra 3 degrees into the actual timing?

thanks!
    Treadstone Stage 4 Kit
    Learning how to tune

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that is correct.
    It could be any of those tables that could be pulling timing, mentioned above. Those are just some of the common tables that pull timing. Just need to find out which table or tables that are pulling the timing.

Advanced Tuner
    Might help if you give all of the info on what you're tuning.

Tuner in Training
    sorry I didn't post it cuz it really has nothing to do with HP tuners or GM car. im tuning a 2014 Honda accord i4 with a Ktuners program, I just had a general question and I actually found my answer. I had to play with the knock tables, knock tables were limiting the timing, so thank you Mark. this is my 2nd car I actually tune, as of right now car feels a lot stronger but I need to go the dyno to actually tune it right.
    Treadstone Stage 4 Kit
    Learning how to tune

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    K pro is nice software. Easy to make highly accurate tunes.

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't used the KTuner software. I have used a lot of the Hondata software. Just by reading about their software it seems very familiar to the Hondata software. Which is a really good setup. But I am glad I was able to help.
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    K pro is nice software. Easy to make highly accurate tunes.
    this isn't kpro, but its very similar with a little less features (perhaps because its a newer car) but it still allows me to do what I need to do.
    Treadstone Stage 4 Kit
    Learning how to tune

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    I haven't used the KTuner software. I have used a lot of the Hondata software. Just by reading about their software it seems very familiar to the Hondata software. Which is a really good setup. But I am glad I was able to help.
    Thanks
    yes ktuners is very similar. I came to this forum because there are more knowledgeable people and you guys are more helpful. there isn't much community support on ktuners and the kpro guys aren't as helpful as hp tuners community. once again mark, thanks for the help and I know that this wont be my last time here, as im still fairly new to tuning.
    Treadstone Stage 4 Kit
    Learning how to tune