Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 Cobalt SS 2.4LE5 SC build.

06 Cobalt SS 2.4LE5 SC build.

I originally posted this to the lounge, no hits so I'm moving it here.

We(NADC Hi-Po class) got the super charger, intercooler, heat exchangers and 2 pass system installed. (GMPP Stage II, 3" pulley)
    This is an LE5 2.4, with VVT and I wanted to keep the VVT function, so I have to use my ECM(E67).
    I asked for info about pinouts for the additional sensors...(Baro, SCIP, TMAP, IC pump signal and boost control)... no takers.
    Did a little research, we found that an 06 Cad STS-V has a 4.4SC and it used the same ECM. So we wired in the additional sensors using the Cad pinout.
    We are tuning using HP Tuners.
    12/22/14 Dyno time! Most of the new sensors worked, except the IAT2.
    This ECM does not have a real PE table...what a learning curve!
    We got most issues worked out...Part throttle is good on MAF Lo...
    It was very difficult to work on the MAF Hi with out getting into Knock Retard.
    Got that worked out today! We posted 253HP and 303Trq on our Mustang Dyno. Now for street testing.
    Any one have any ideas about IAT2?
    The ECM shows 32* no matter what...it does not change.
    Also we get Knock retard 3-4* on the first WOT attempt, but not much on 2nd or 3rd attempt. thanks

Advanced Tuner
    You have IAT2 circuit pinned? IAT2 Low Reference(ground) C3(grey) pin#34 Circuit#6120. IAT2 Signal C3(grey) pin#56 Circuit#6118. A good test is to find those 2 pins and get a voltmeter and measure to see if you continuity from the ECU pins to the IAT2 Sensor pins. ECU C3 Pin#34 should have continuity with Pin A on the sensor. And ECU C3 Pin#56 should have continuity with Pin B on the sensor. If all is good there, check to make sure the sensor is good it self.

Advanced Tuner
    And there is a PE table for that ECM. It is under Fuel/Power Enrich/Power Enrichment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    And there is a PE table for that ECM. It is under Fuel/Power Enrich/Power Enrichment.
    Thanks Mark,
    I have checked the circuit, I have continuity (1865 ohms=74*) and it is pinned just like you said. I am using the TMAP sensor.
    I had the low reference pinned to the Map low reference, so I piggybacked the IAT2 low reference to it...no change.
    What is puzzling is that the scanner indicates 32* no matter the condition.( open circuit should equal -40*)
    I will check that PE table.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried removing the sensor and view the data with a heat gun putting hot air close to the sensor to see if it will move at all with a big temperature difference quickly or not? I would give that a shot. If still not working correctly. I would think has to do with signal wiring or the sensor itself. The low reference being pinned into the MAP low reference is fine. It would work correctly that way still. Is the MAP sensor part of the sensor working correctly?

Have you tried removing the sensor and view the data with a heat gun putting hot air close to the sensor to see if it will move at all with a big temperature difference quickly or not? I would give that a shot. If still not working correctly. I would think has to do with signal wiring or the sensor itself. The low reference being pinned into the MAP low reference is fine. It would work correctly that way still. Is the MAP sensor part of the sensor working correctly?
    We checked the sensor at two different temps, one reading was 1235 ohms, the next was 1835 ohms. the MAP side works great.

Advanced Tuner
    At both readings(1235ohms and 1835ohms) the data still only showed 32*?

Yes, 32* never changed.

Advanced Tuner
    That is strange. I would leave towards the wiring for the signal from the sensor to the ECM.

Advanced Tuner
    Any update with it?

Any update with it?
    No, spent most of today getting new class ready.

Oil light came back on after about 5 seconds yesterday, so I made an adapter to check the oil pressure...50-70psi...and light still comes on.
    Not to worried, now that I know oil pressure is good.

I,m wondering if I have to enable this input?? I say that because it is pinned correctly yet the value is fixed at 32*. Normally when the circuit is opened it indicates -40*.

Advanced Tuner
    For the oil pressure, go to Engine Diag/General/Oil Press/Temp. You can change the settings for the oil pressure sensor or switch. Which ever one you have installed. And for IAT2 make sure the inputs are correct for the table for IAT2 under Engine Diag/Airflow/IAT Sensor. Also you can go into Engine Diag/DTC's and you can enable the codes for the new sensors.

For the oil pressure, go to Engine Diag/General/Oil Press/Temp. You can change the settings for the oil pressure sensor or switch. Which ever one you have installed. And for IAT2 make sure the inputs are correct for the table for IAT2 under Engine Diag/Airflow/IAT Sensor. Also you can go into Engine Diag/DTC's and you can enable the codes for the new sensors.
    Thanks, I found the cause for the oil light, sure enough we hit sensor instead of switch. Fixed!

When you say IAT2 inputs, I'm not sure what you mean...I've checked the table, it seems to match the IAT main table (resistance).
    I had not thought about enabling the Diag codes.

I am newbe to this side of the computer diagnosis(tuning)...what a learning curve!

I checked my DTCs...the IAT2 were already enabled... I'm stumped!
    Last edited by JMsquared; 01-06-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: more info

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah the table for the IAT and IAT2 should be the same on your car. And as long as those are the same, it should be working correctly. I would just double check the signal circuit from the sensor to the ECU to make sure everything is okay there.

Well, I may have found my IAT2 values...listed under MAT(Manifold air temp) in HP tuners scanner. Sure enough the temp changes, however it is measured in Kelvin.
    305K equals 89.6F

Advanced Tuner
    If you right click on the value of MAT in the scanner, you can change the units from K to F.

Mat

If you right click on the value of MAT in the scanner, you can change the units from K to F.
    Mark, thanks for the help, I switched the scale to F* all is well so far. I am continuing to tune timing and fuel.

Advanced Tuner
    No problem. Keep us posted with the results with the car.

Running out of injector?

No problem. Keep us posted with the results with the car.
    1/02/15 Off the dyno and onto the street...when this thing comes on WOw...the engine pulls thru the clutch anytime the SC is working, 4500-6000RPM. We have continued tuning, backing off timing, and adjusting MAF to bring detonation under control.

I found that the injectors are running at 80-100 duty cycles around 6000RPM...I've seen 13.6 AFR at WOT.
    I checked fuel pressure under those conditions, the lowest was 57psi (dropped 4 psi). The injectors are GM Stage 2, I had no concern about running out of injector.

Clutch no longer holds, so we have to suspend Hi Maf and WOT tuning until we replace the clutch.
    I want to install an LSD, and figure out how to install the Intermediate shaft/equal CV shafts.
    We are probably going to adapt the intermediate shaft to the F23 trans

How do I post a tune for evaluation?( I'm PC illiterate)

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Just click on Go Advanced next to Post Quick Reply, then click Manage Attachments, then another window will come up and click Add Files, then you have to get your tune from whatever file or if it is on your desktop and then just click on the file you want. It will then be added to Attachments, just hit Insert Online, then Submit Reply. And that's how you post your tune file or scan log or any of type of file that is supported.