Thread: Easiest way to swap from T-56 to A4?

Tuner

Easiest way to swap from T-56 to A4?

My 04 GTO was originally equipped with a T-56, and I have recently swapped/wired in a 4L80E. What I would like to do is basically convert my current tune over to an A4 platform, keeping all of my engine tune/parameters the same, but I am not sure the best/easiest way to do that. The transmission is wired up as if it's a 4L60E so a stock A4 GTO transmission section(s) would suffice; even wired up the TCC PWM to the TCC On/Off in case I needed the functionality.

1.) I've been told that I can just take a stock A4 file and copy the information over using the compare file, but I suspect I will be left with having to purchase more credits to modify/upload a file with a different OS ID. Not entirely sure how that works, but I think that is the reason I've had to purchase quite a few credits for my car (8?) over the last three setups I've had tuned due to the shop not maintaining the same OS ID the last two times.

2.) From what I've read on segment swaps, the same OS ID is needed. I am not sure where to find an OD ID that will match my current (or past?; my OS ID is different now than it was stock).

In either of these cases, would I have to disable VATS?

If at all possible, I would like to keep from purchasing another set of credits for this car because as I said earlier, I have bought quite a few so far. I have tuned this car before when stock and with H/C/I, but since I've moved into the stroked/FI realm, I've traditionally had a shop do all of my tuning. I would like to take it back to them but trailering the car 3.5hrs away becomes quite a nuisance so I am going to try to get back into tuning it myself again. If this doesn't workout, can anyone refer someone that would be willing/capable to remotely tune my car?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

... first time tuning an auto... this should be fun

Tuner
    I am getting really desperate here... apparently I am in a much tougher spot than I originally anticipated. It has come to my attention that even after all of this hard work and persistence I have shown with this transmission swap and electrical modifications that I am now limited by the tune, nothing else.

The tune from the repository that I planned on segment swapping with my current GTO tune apparently won't work since it doesn't share the same OS ID. Can someone please create or even provide a stock A4 GTO tune that I can use on my car?

If there is an easier/better way to accomplish getting an auto transmission tune combined with my current engine tune (and maintain full functionality), please let me know!!!

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Posting your file would be helpful.

Tuner
    Sorry about that... I've been meaning to post my tune, but I've only had internet access with my work computer and phone, neither of which contain my tune. I'll post it shortly. Thanks!

Tuner
    I've attached my file now. Please let me know if there is anything else that will help.

Pertinent Mods:

402ci based LS2 10.5:1 SCR
    Procharger F-1A @ ~15psi
    1:1 FPR
    80# Injectors
    4L80E Transmission (was a TR-6060 in the attached tune)
    3.55 Rear Gear
    295/35/18 (now a 345/35/18 MT DRs; 27.5" Diameter)
    D585 Truck Coils

More mods listed here... and yes, I was going to sell it a while back hahaha.

Thanks again!

GTO Tune TR6060.hpt

Tuner
    ... I just performed a segment swap (Transmission and Transmission Diagnostic fields) with a stock A4 GTO using v2.25, and everything seems to be kosher at this point although the numbers under the two fields in the segment swapper screen don't seem correct.

Is there any way I can know if the segment swap was successful without driving? I'm afraid to upload the tune in my ECU for fear of it messing something up.

Also, it seems as though some of my rewiring/soldering was unnecessary, mainly the shift solenoid signal swapping from a 4L60E setup, since there is a 4L80E selection available under the Transmission - General Tab. Is this fully functioning?

The transmission selector is only a toggle for calibration information much like the engine drop down is. It is only there as an indicator of what the calibration is. Switching it to 4L80E will do nothing to the actual tune.

I have a 4L80E GTO file if you need it. The GTO uses an odd OS and there are no truck tunes that came with an 80e that I know of that has the same OS. The file I have was manually swapped in Hex.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    The transmission selector is only a toggle for calibration information much like the engine drop down is. It is only there as an indicator of what the calibration is. Switching it to 4L80E will do nothing to the actual tune.

I have a 4L80E GTO file if you need it. The GTO uses an odd OS and there are no truck tunes that came with an 80e that I know of that has the same OS. The file I have was manually swapped in Hex.
    Ahhh, ok... I was thinking the trans selector would actually change the shift solenoid signals like some have done with the 05/06 GTO models.

What would be the difference between a 4L60E tune and a 4L80E tune besides the gear ratio tables? Just curious because I finally tracked down someone that performed the swap from a M6 to an A4, and they ended up doing a full rewrite to a stock automatic GM file, using a Tech 2, then going from there.

Thanks!

Tuner
    Which ever route I go, I want to try to keep from losing any functionality (ex. VATS) and keeping all of the linked modules happy. If I can do all of this without having to purchase more credits, that would be an advantage also.

In your case there isn't an 80E segment available for the GTO OS. I do have a GTO file that was manually segment swapped and has worked on other cars as intended if you would like that emailed to do a write entire with. Doing a write entire will overwrite the entire PCM with the current loaded file leaving nothing behind from the previous. You will need to do a CASE relearn once the write entire is finished.

You will have to make sure the 80E transmission is wired similar to a 2500 6.0L LQ4 4L80E truck...
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Senior Tuner
    In your case there isn't an 80E segment available for the GTO OS. I do have a GTO file that was manually segment swapped and has worked on other cars as intended if you would like that emailed to do a write entire with. Doing a write entire will overwrite the entire PCM with the current loaded file leaving nothing behind from the previous. You will need to do a CASE relearn once the write entire is finished.

You will have to make sure the 80E transmission is wired similar to a 2500 6.0L LQ4 4L80E truck...

Tried pming you, your box is full. Would mind posting or pming me the the segment number of the trans and trans diagnostic segments in your 4l80 swapped file?

Sorry about that... I'll just post the file... no sense in hiding it from anyone lol.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 01-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    ShorTuning

Senior Tuner
    Thanks. Curious where the compatible segments came from, I don't have any that match.

I've wondered the same thing... I was told that it came from the next to ken OS 112587603 which alot of 2004 trucks and SUV's had.
    ShorTuning

Tuner

Thanks again for the information!

My 4L80E is actually wired up as if it's a 4L60E becuase I heard the 04 computer wouldn't use the 4L80E segment swap like the 05/06 cars can run; I did the usual wiring modifications for the TCC PWM & TCC On/Off, 3-2 downshift solenoid, and 2-3 upshift solenoid.

Thanks for posting the file! I can't access it on my work computer and was curious... is it a file for a 2004 or 2005/2006 GTO?

Quote Originally Posted by LaTechGTO View Post
    Thanks again for the information!

My 4L80E is actually wired up as if it's a 4L60E becuase I heard the 04 computer wouldn't use the 4L80E segment swap like the 05/06 cars can run; I did the usual wiring modifications for the TCC PWM & TCC On/Off, 3-2 downshift solenoid, and 2-3 upshift solenoid.

Thanks for posting the file! I can't access it on my work computer and was curious... is it a file for a 2004 or 2005/2006 GTO?
    This is a 2004 P59 Gen3 GTO Tune with a 4L80E segment swap. It will not work with your configuration since you have done the wiring changes to make use of the 4L60E calibration. Just change the gear ratios on a stock 2004 GTO 4L60E tune and you should be ready to rock.

The 05-06 are completely different than the 04's. They are classified as Gen4 and have a seperate module for the engine and transmission which is why it is much easier to do an 80E in them.
    ShorTuning

Tuner
    This is a 2004 P59 Gen3 GTO Tune with a 4L80E segment swap. It will not work with your configuration since you have done the wiring changes to make use of the 4L60E calibration. Just change the gear ratios on a stock 2004 GTO 4L60E tune and you should be ready to rock.

The 05-06 are completely different than the 04's. They are classified as Gen4 and have a seperate module for the engine and transmission which is why it is much easier to do an 80E in them.
    Ahhhhh!!!!! That would have been so nice to know that before I did all the modifications because the only 2 reasons I did the modifications was 1) I was told that only 05/06 GTOs could run a 4L80E segment swap and 2) I was wanting to use the PWM for the TCC On/Off (the more I think about it, I believe I will just end up running the PWM at 100% anyways).

Yeah, that is why I was asking since they are different.

If all else fails, I will remove the PCB I have everything soldered to and revert back to this tune. Thanks again for posting it! I will try to grab it later today when I get to my computer.