Thread: E38: 02 sensor DTCs stored even with codes "tuned out" ???

E38: 02 sensor DTCs stored even with codes "tuned out" ???

Okay, guys.... I'm a little confused here. Hoping someone has some wisdom for me.

I run headers and no rear 02 sensors on my 2013 LS3/E38 C6. After my original install, I went down the DTC list and deselected any codes related to the rear oxygen sensors. I've been driving the car this way for the last few thousand miles with no noticeable issues. The 02 bungs are plugged and the sensors disconnected, with the wiring harnesses taped up.

Just a few days ago, I was playing with a new Bluetooth diag tool I bought (EZdiag). I was testing it on my C6, and found a ton of rear 02 sensor codes stored. At first, I figured they were old and had just been there without my knowledge. No SES lights or anything, so I wasn't too concerned, but thought it strange since I've flashed the car a ton of times since the header install. I cleared them, but have been keeping tabs on the situation.

Yesterday, I did a scan with HPT, and found the rear 02 sensor codes there again. This time, I played around with it a little. I cleared them, and found two of them to keep coming back -- they'd clear, but return with a cycle of the ignition. The two codes that keep coming back right away are: P0036 (Heater control circuit bank 1 sensor 2) and P0056 (Heater circuit bank 2 sensor 2).

I went into my tune file and made sure that these two particular codes were deselected ("SES enable" box unchecked). I tried a flash entire, but the codes still returned. Just for laughs, I put those two codes back to how they were in my stock file, and my SES light came on after a couple starts.

So I'm confused.... I thought turning off these DTCs with HPT would prevent them from being stored. They won't trigger an SES light when "tuned out", but the codes are still there. Is this normal or not? I know it's not hurting anything, but it bugs me that the codes are there. I'll attach a recent version of my tune, too.

2013_GS_HB_headers.hpt

DTCs.1.txt

Okay, I think I'm partially retarded. I never realized the "error report" box had a dropdown menu where you could change the settings. I'd just deselected the "MIL in second error", but hadn't changed it to "no error reported". I'm guessing that was my problem.

Tuner in Training
    Old thread, but I am having the same codes (permanent) popping up. I have the box unchecked and set to "no error reported". How do these keep popping up?

Permanent codes do not just go away even with setting the DTC's to no error reported and unchecking the SES box.

They may stop showing up after tons and tons of drive cycles but permanent codes are well, permanent.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.