Thread: Timing issue and need tune review

Tuner in Training

Timing issue and need tune review

hi,
    Yesterday i was trying to tune a L96 6.0L silverado engine that was transplanted in a 4wd vehicle. Used a GM firebird/camaro v8 1999 ecu to tune the engine. I usually do speed density tunning so i followed the guide to enable the ecu to be in open loop and changed all sort of required parameters to start up the engine. Engine got started and perfectly idling at 1k rpm and an AFR of 14.2-14.5. now i faced a few issues and would like someone to review my tune file if possible. first when i set the ecm to open loop to tune my VE it had no effect when adjusting the Main VE primary table ( i think thats normal as the MAF sensor value is set to zero so its like the MAF sensor is failed). I was able to tune the VE from the secondary table and car was perfectly tuned in part throttle on the dyno. I even noticed two things with this tune the PE tables had no effect on the WOT AFRs and had to adjust the secondary VE table where the WOT is (90 & 100 Kpa) to get my WOT AFRs tuned. afterwards and here is where i got stuck. if i set both high/low octane spark timing tables it doesnt matter if i set both high/low to 10 deg or even 25 deg in the whole table as the car kept making the same hp and from the photos above you will notice my timing on the hptuner scanner doesnt follow up with the spark timing tables in the tune. i tried 10deg and 25deg to see if the ECM is following the timing values i have put in, but with no luck the ECM timing is pulled from somewhere else that i dont know from. i confirm this when i viewed my advance timing page on the scanner application.

Here are some photos:
    details.JPG
    details2.JPG
    timing issue.JPG
    timing.JPG

Please go ahead and critisize my tune. The car made 330whp on a dyno dynamics and feel there is still more room in making more power as the cars have lots of add ons such as fast intake, stock L96 injectors, 102 throttle, intake, headers, exhaust and even some mild camshafts
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by OMHP; 12-24-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Your still plotting the maf on the table view and it is screwing with your timing display(its actually running lower on the timing table then it is showing). Remove the maf pid and the timing will read correctly. You would be better off posting this under gen 3.

Because you used an older o/s, when the maf is failed the computer resorts the secondary ve table. You need a newer o/s or custom operating system to get around this.

Tuner in Training
    when you say a new OS do you mean a new base map OS from the donor car or you mean a newer version of the ECM im using? i will post this in the gen3 even though the engine used is a 2011 year model and thats the reason why i posted it here!

how can i remove the maf pid? do i just right click and delete the whole pid of the pid settings?

Tuner in Training
    remove the maf pid from the histogram display or from the table display (please refer to the photos i attached)?

Senior Tuner
    Table display is the master. Remove it from there and it can have no effect. To remove it right click on it with no scans loaded and click delete. save the config and your done.

Think of the o/s like windows. Every year a new version comes out and the higher the number the newer and "better" it is. Your running 9381344, 12212156 being the last and best o/s for this computer. Its not a required change, you can switch to custom 1 bar for free now and do the ve that way as well.

Tuner in Training
    so you are telling me to use the 12212156 OS? which vehicle year model is that? in summary my issue is that the car doesnt go into PE and doesnt follow the timing tables of the high/low tables!

if the exhaust manifold goes glowy red doesnt that mean that the timing is really retarded? i know my AFRs are dead on!

Senior Tuner
    Your timing will make more sense after you get rid of maf pid. Just giving you options for ve table, like I said you can use the 1 bar ve o/s to tune.

Tuner in Training
    by the way that print screen of the scanner timing advance table is when i was doing a WOT....does it seem my MAP settings are wrong? where should the readings reach to? the ecm goes at full throttle stays in the 0.44 g/cyl (cylinder airmass). shouldnt it go to 0.84-1.00 g/cyl?

using a P01 ECM. do you think i should consider trying a different newer ECM? this engine is a 2011 and i believe it has the VVT technology. The harness was modified to use an adapter somewhere in harness

i will remove the MAF pid and see what happens and upgrade my OS to the latest version recommended
    Last edited by OMHP; 12-27-2014 at 02:11 PM.