Thread: Need help with cam tables please, throwing codes.

Tuner in Training

Need help with cam tables please, throwing codes.

tune2.hptLOG EX CAM 0 7MIN.hpl

hi, please take a look at these files and let me know what you think.

At roughly 7 mins into the log file the numbers for "exhaust cam angle" in the Table Display goes to 0 but in the Histogram Display-exhaust cam, it keeps on reading?
    did i do something wroung setting it all up?
    I just want to get rip of the codes and dont care much for actual tuning of these tables unles you guys think there is a problem with them.

I am a newb at tuning and read all the tuning help info threads on here and watched the videos. But I am still at a lost most of the time and its a very steep learning curve for me...

my Goal: safe 20-22psi for autocross duty
    The tune is a ZZP file. i changed the DAL tables for lower boost, lowered revlimiters and put some torque managent back... now i want to start tweaking it but need to sort this out fist.

thank you in advance
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 12-24-2014 at 11:50 AM.

I can look at it later tonight. I run a flat 23psi for road racing. 22psi steady with quick boost response should be np. Key to power limitations will be octane which directly affects timing. Here is typically what I've found you can run safely (*E47/E85 peak timing numbers are from info on this site. I've only tested up to 110 octane which can run up to 25° with no kr):

octane peak timing

91 11°
    93 13°
    100 18°
    110/E47/E85 23-25°

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't look at your log but took a quick glance at the tune.

For starters, under Airflow > Variable Camshaft >Intake Camshaft; make your Base Angles the same for Main (Warm), Main (Cold) along with Knock and Main (Warm), Main (Cold) for Catalyst Heating. Do this by copying your Main (Warm) table to the other 4.

Do the exact same thing for the Exhaust Camshaft. (Copy your Main (Warm) Exhaust cam settings to the other 4.

Next move onto Spark > Advance; Your Main Spark Advance tables need to be the same so copy the In Min. Ex Min and paste it to the In Max Ex Min, In Min Ex Max and In Max Ex Min

After you've done that I would suggest going through the LNF videos again and working on the tune yourself. You should easily be able to reach your goal.
    Last edited by JimmyS; 12-24-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't look at anything but do not change any idle tables unless you are turning off cat warmup and your going to spend a lot of time until it is done correctly. You can cause the car to run poorly at idle and you don't want that. So leave the Cam tables etc stock for idle until idle is the only focus of your tuning.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the tips so far.
    ok i loaded the new file with the in and ex cam warm tables copied to the other 4 tables and did another 10min log...

And the p0014 code came back 5mins into the log again.

same problem still there... same as before
    in the scanner i had the Table Display - Exhaust Cam Angle, and the Histogram Display-exhaust cam table, open to monitor when the numbers in the Table Display goes to 0.
    5mins into the log the Table Display - Exhaust Cam Angle goes to 0 but the Histogram Display-exhaust cam table was still reading fine??

for the cam angle numbers... are the numbers in the editor suppose to be the same as the histogram i have setup in the scanner? because my numbers are wayyyy of?

ps... the car seems to idle and run fine. no drivability issues whatsoever...??
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 12-24-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Without looking at the tune yet, do you have a stock tune you can flash and do a log with to see if it's the tune or another issue?

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have my computer right this moment so I apologize for all the guesswork but most likely:

The Histogram is set up wrong and is showing desired, while the scanner is set up to show actual.

Or something similar.

I would guess that the cam sensor is probably faulty. Not sure if the exhaust and intake cams can be swapped but that is what i would look into after verifying if I was correct on the scanner/histogram.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    Without looking at the tune yet, do you have a stock tune you can flash and do a log with to see if it's the tune or another issue?
    no i dont but good idea, i am going to look for one on here today and copy the cam tables. it maybe the cam sensors or something...

Tuner in Training
    logdrivetowork.hpl

this is a new log with both cam des and cam angle readings on a short drive from cold all the way to 200f...

looking at the Table Display:
    Everything seems great for the first 7 mins, then right at the end sitting idle, the ex cam angle readings go to 0 but the ex cam des is still reading? also in the ex cam angle histogram, it is still reading numbers but they are way of from the ex cam des.

i am looking into getting new cam actuators today... should i get the sensors too?

thanks
    Last edited by Z06VENOM; 12-29-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I would look to see if you can swap the sensors before I went and bought one.