Thread: e38 ecu compatability question

Potential Tuner

e38 ecu compatability question

Can anyone tell me about ecu compatibility?

BACKGROUND
    Swapping a 6 litre gen 4 from a VE commodore into a 3 series BMW.
    Bought the engine and TR6060 six speed with loom and ecu from a guy in Queensland. After a lot of complications with the seller it was finally delivered but the ecu/maf was not in the delivery. Rang the guy and he sent these missing parts subsequently.
    Stripped the top off the engine to check it out and install new cam, lifters, ........(definitely has 58 teeth reluctor and 4 lugs on the cam gear)
    Noticed the head gaskets were dated 2006. Hmmmm, it was meant to be from a 2010 year car. (Engine number is 7ND 06 272 0903, which from what I read is
    06 = 2006, 272 = 272nd day of the year and 0903 = 903rd engine of the day. Anyway I guess that confirms it's a 2006.
    (By the way, the throttle blade is silver.)

Service number of the e38 ecu is 12612384 (VIN reads 6G1EP42HX9L328612), 10th digit is 9 saying that it is a 2009 year.
    So, that looks like a mis-match. '06 engine, '09 computer.

What else can I say?
    The ecu finally got powered up today and the following curious parameters were noted.
    Accelerator pedal at rest = throttle blade fully closed, but reads 26.3 open
    Accelerator pedal fully depressed = throttle blade fully open reads 83.9 open
    MAP reads 17.5 psi

QUESTION
    What advice (besides the obvious don't buy stuff from unreliable sources) can you give me. I would like to find the best way to get everything working as it should and keep this project moving along.
    Thanks in advance

Senior Tuner
    Check the stickies at the top, tps will read like that, that's normal.

Sounds like you need to correct the MAP calibration, look up what sensor it is.

Advanced Tuner
    Engine might be numbered in 06, but would not have gone into the car until it was manufactured. GM-H had a lot of excess 06/07 engines when GFC hit.

Silver TB blade used up to about March/April 09 - BSI on Trim tag/VIN plate. ECM is an MY08/08.5. Engine number being 2009, could be MY10 car if manufactured late 2009. Odd combination but anything is possible .

No problem with that engine with that TB & ECM. Would guess it also has the non bolt on MAP, and original style oil pressure sensor with yellow seal on connector and black body on sensor.

Potential Tuner
    Mike and LSX,
    Thanks for your valuable information - It means i will move ahead now and fire it up as soon as i get through Christmas commitments.
    For what it's worth, here are photos of the sensors you spoke about.
    Oil Pressure Sensor.JPGMAP.JPG

Potential Tuner
    LICENSING QUESTION
    Finished off some wiring and primed the oil system today. Now ready to start the engine as soon as VATS is disabled. So i went to apply a license and the ECU currently reads as a "Non - Sedan" (see Snippet).

ECU Details.PNG
    I guess being a 'non-sedan ECU' is not a problem, but i want to check first because i don't understand if a non-sedan ECU represents any problems (i don't think so because manual transmissions are an option)
    If anyone knows the intricacies of licensing your guidance would be appreciated.