Thread: Disable burst knock?

Disable burst knock?

Just wanted to get some opinions here, guys. Tuning my Magnuson Heartbeat equipped '13 LS3 C6. Right now, I have the burst knock settings all set to factory. Any reasons for or against deactivating the burst knock function? Let's hear 'em.

I have a TVS1900 LS2 and slightly tweaked burst knock for smoother overall application with less overall retard. Basically mine varies between 0-5* of retard on airflow spikes. under normal conditions I usually see 2-3 * pulled very briefly on large spikes in airflow.

I think it has an application for anticipating spikes in airflow, reducing timing briefly (the shape looks like your typical TM or KR application) and preventing knock retard from occurring, thus prevent it from decrementing to a lower value (between the HO and LO tables) permanently.

Advanced Tuner
    Many do disable burst knock, but griffincox is spot on. Burst knock is predictive knock prevention that works faster than normal KR can based on rate of airflow change from rapid throttle movements, and is to prevent KR from setting longer lasting retard. Similar to the effect of vacumn advance on distributor ignitions on fast throttle movements.

Thanks for the replies. I had forgotten that burst knock doesn't affect the octane table referencing. That was really my biggest concern. I may reduce it's base setting a little, but I think I'll keep it active for now.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting and I agree with the comments so far.

Let's say the fueling keeps the pace with transients (fast throttle opening). Let's say there is still real knock but just momentarily (and burst knock disabled from the tune). Now using/activating burst knock function to remove the real knock would seem to be the wise choice.

Another thing to consider is if the fueling doesn't follow transients fast enough (even if PE enrichment rate would be maxed). Again, using burst knock would help the situation.

Comments?

I disable Burst knock on anything NA since you will rarely see anything abnormal with airflow that would cause knock. If its boosted, i think its smart to leave it active since you can have things change erratically with airflow. The Gen III burst knock is kind of simple and probably needs dubbed down a little if you leave it, but the Gen IV's are nicer since they have the learn down feature. Generally i leave the Gen IV's active and just make the learn down a little more aggressive.

Tuner in Training
    For your application I would leave it on.
    SHUETUNING
    Powertraincontrolsolutions

Advanced Tuner
    desensitize....just shift all values one or two columns to the right (higher delta cyl)