Thread: CTS V major spark retard when stabbing the throttle

Tuner in Training

CTS V major spark retard when stabbing the throttle

Good evening all, i am new to the V community and looking for a little tuning help.

When i stab the throttle from cruise to WOT i get some major spark retard as you can see in the below screen shot. I assume it is some sort of TM kicking in but i cannot seem to find the table that is controlling this.

also can i get an idea of how much total timing everyone with stock pulleys is running? I am @ 22.5-23.5 degrees and ~11.8 A/F and i am getting some knock retard in 4th gear. You can begin to see above.

I have attached my tune and corresponding data log for anyone to view and critique.

Thank you for any help.
    12-18-14 knocks in 4th, added fuel need to recheck WOT for knocks.hpt
    drive home.hpl

Senior Tuner
    I've tried reducing the spark limiters tables but so for have not nailed it to what I feel is an acceptable level. But I haven't spent much time with downshift either. Maybe somebody has worked through these tables.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    There are a number of TM PID's you can log to see which one is active and what it is using for control.

Being an A6 my guess would be thats your Transmission TM kicking in if there was a downshift, traction control can also pull the timing back as well.

Easiest thing is add the TM PID's to your table and log them, then you'll know for sure.
    2009 CTS-V Sedan
    Lingenfelter 650 kit, ID850, AR 1.875" Headers, SW 3" Exhaust, Hptuners pro

I get hung up on this all the time and have to retrain myself. Make sure you actually have an issue, you may have some torque management going on. Do yourself a favor and highlight the problem, than look at the time stamp in the bottom and see how long this actually happens. I have caught myself spending hours trying to fix and issue that last a whole quarter of a second or less.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, i will look at the time stamp and see how long it is occurring.
    When this terrible rain here in Houston goes away i will try to log some transmission PID's to see what is kicking in.

on the CTS V boards some people think it might be burst knock. Does Burst knock engage when there is an actual knock event or only when there are major MAF changes?

Thank you all for the replies.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    make a new config, and log all torque management types and burst knock and retard. there is also some tables under SUPERCHARGE under torque management that you may want to take a look at.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    ok, thank you for all the help