Thread: I could use some advice on getting my idle under control

Tuner in Training

I could use some advice on getting my idle under control

Hey Guys,

I am new to tuning with HPT, but have had some experience street-tuning my 3rd-gen RX7 using the PFC and a WB(No MAF). HPT is whole other animal and way more complex! I have 2003 C5 Z06 with Heads, Cam(228/232 115LSA), LT headers, FAST 90/90, Vararam CAI and a pulley. The car has been tuned by a local tuner for WOT and part-throttle cruising and has been for years. However, drivability has been crappy and idles insanely rich. I cant keep the windows down at stop lights. I also have/had a hanging idle. I have tried taking the car back to the original tuner to adjust the tune without success. I also took the car to another shop and had it retuned and ended-up getting a hanging idle. Took the car back and they couldn't fix the issue.

This why I broke down and bought HPT and and AEM wideband. I have been reading the forum a lot and recently purchased Greg Banish's Tuning DVD from another forum member(Thanks Jim!) I am just waiting for it to arrive.

I tried to lean-out the idle cells in the main VE table and I downloaded Russ K's config and followed the procedure here:http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ve-idle-config
    The idle was better sitting in my driveway. It wasn't smooth but it the AFR's weren't as rich(14.5-16.5) But, when I drove the car, the idle would get way rich (10.5 AFR's) as if some setting is off. I the care will also die if the A/C is turned on.

Can someone please a take a look at my logs?

TIA,

John

rich idle.hplLS6 with HeadsCamLTs.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Here are the Scan and VCM files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    who the hell are you taking this to? i can post a file by modifying yours and you can copy over the differences if you like. What throttle body do you have? and injectors and head?
    Last edited by cesar; 12-14-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Cesar,

i would appreciate it if your could modify my files. I have been really frustrated with the two so called tuners that I have paid to tune my car. I am taking baby steps learning how to tuning my car and only modifying the idle cells.

John
    Last edited by jpandes; 12-14-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hi John,

I'm sorry to say the tune you posted wasn't done properly per what's considered best practices around here. Compared to a stock '03 Z06 file from the HPTuners repository, your power enrichment tables are modified all the way to redline, yet your MAF table has only been modified through 5875Hz (high part throttle) and the VE table is only significantly modified below 2000RPM. The high octane spark table doesn't appear to have been calibrated for best mean torque (an eddy current dyno, aka load-bearing, is best for this though and your tuners may not have had access to one).

I would suggest keeping a copy of your current tune for future reference, then revert to a stock tune and start over from scratch before using the methods on the DVD. Do you know if your Z06 has the stock fuel injectors? If not, it'll be more efficient in the long run to correct those tables before working on the MAF & VE tables.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list