Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does HPT support using a junkyard ECU for COYOTE engine swaps?

Does HPT support using a junkyard ECU for COYOTE engine swaps?

Last I heard SCT couldn't get past the PATS system so junkyard swaps were impossible without the complete wiring harness and all the computers connected.

Has HPT solved this?

To be specific, I want to take a junkyard engine, transmission, and harness out of a 11+ F150 5.0 and with it in my 1972 Mercury Comet (Ford Maverick sister car) but I can't find a solution that supports both the engine and transmission. Finding a 100% complete truck to pull the entire harness and computers seems impossible.

Thanks,
    Daniel

I'm thinking it's possible that police or some fleet vehicles don't have pats, there must be programming that does away with it. in the beta editor I think there is a PATS disable feature.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    Last I heard SCT couldn't get past the PATS system so junkyard swaps were impossible without the complete wiring harness and all the computers connected.

Has HPT solved this?

To be specific, I want to take a junkyard engine, transmission, and harness out of a 11+ F150 5.0 and with it in my 1972 Mercury Comet (Ford Maverick sister car) but I can't find a solution that supports both the engine and transmission. Finding a 100% complete truck to pull the entire harness and computers seems impossible.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Lund Racing has gotten around this issue and have done a few Coyote/6R80 swaps into Foxbody cars. I have interest in this as well as I have some friends who are looking to do similar in some Fairmont/Zephyr wagons.

It may be a trial by error deal working with HPT on. The big thing is getting past the cluster in the dash.

Advanced Tuner
    Lund claims to have some fabled "super user" level access in SCT that is above the calibrator access that SCT claims is the highest you can get. My point is, if it's possible, I have faith that Eric will figure it out and pass it on to the rest of us. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrebs27 View Post
    in the beta editor I think there is a PATS disable feature.
    That's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Lund Racing has gotten around this issue and have done a few Coyote/6R80 swaps into Foxbody cars. I have interest in this as well as I have some friends who are looking to do similar in some Fairmont/Zephyr wagons.

It may be a trial by error deal working with HPT on. The big thing is getting past the cluster in the dash.
    I'll have to ask them, I need to know everything I must have to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by PST View Post
    Lund claims to have some fabled "super user" level access in SCT that is above the calibrator access that SCT claims is the highest you can get. My point is, if it's possible, I have faith that Eric will figure it out and pass it on to the rest of us. Lol.
    I've heard that some tuners are "favored" by SCT and get access to more functions. I've had good success with SCT but I want to be able to do my own tuning on this car for a few reasons:
    1. It allows me to make the vehicle behave exactly how I want it to.
    2. I plan to do muliple stages in power development. N/A in the beginning, Nitrous in phase 2, then either turbo or supercharger.
    3. Being able to change everything myself just gives me that much more involvement in the project which means the fun and pride factor will go up and maintain my interest that much longer.
    If I have to pay someone to do it I will (I really like the coyote/6r80 combo in my truck, the supercharger it has doesn't hurt either!), but I'd rather not.

I have a good understanding of how the new E-Pats system works on the newer cars, and it is not as simple as disabling the switch. We currently do not have a way to disable the system, but in a few months, once the new 2.25 Scanner is out, we will be able to easily disable the Anti-Theft.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    but in a few months, once the new 2.25 Scanner is out, we will be able to easily disable the Anti-Theft.
    Oh baby! How much will a complete setup cost me?

Oh baby! How much will a complete setup cost me?
    You can get an MPVI Standard for $499
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

You can get an MPVI Standard for $499
    Will that only allow me to tune ford vehicles like an sct device? I have several ford and gm vehicles is why I ask and it'd be nice to tune them all just by buying new credits.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    it will allow you to tune gm, ford & dodge vehicles, same interface, same software.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    do yourself a favor and get the pro interface.. that way you can bring wideband and other sensor data into your logs.

in a few months, once the new 2.25 Scanner is out, we will be able to easily disable the Anti-Theft.
    This means a complete anti-theft bypass so I will be able to pull an engine and trans from a wrecked mustang and swap them to an older car without anything else than PCM and engine harness? (No cluster, key and other modules)?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by PST View Post
    do yourself a favor and get the pro interface.. that way you can bring wideband and other sensor data into your logs.
    The non-pro won't read the factory widebands?

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    This means a complete anti-theft bypass so I will be able to pull an engine and trans from a wrecked mustang and swap them to an older car without anything else than PCM and engine harness? (No cluster, key and other modules)?
    I would hope so or it's useless.

One more thing that crossed my mind as I was calling around for complete pull outs yesterday, how would you program the computer without having the OBDII port that is part of the dash harness?

Anyone know if the OBDII is directly tied into the ecu or if it goes through a body computer before reaching the ecu?
    Last edited by mechanicboy; 12-19-2014 at 05:04 PM.

The non-pro won't read the factory widebands?
    I think when the newer version of the scanner is released you will be able to read the factory widebands. What PST was referring to is that most other cars don't have built in widebands so you have to datalog it manually though voltage from a gauge. it's also nice to have the option of piping direct voltage into HPT to log something you might not be able to through OBD.

Interesting! Really wanting to do a swap in my S197. Sub'd
    1968 Chevy C10 SWB - Project
    2018 Denali L5P

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Hammer View Post
    Interesting! Really wanting to do a swap in my S197. Sub'd
    That's even more work I'm sure, at least if you want the stock interior pieces to work like a/c, tach, ect.

Tuner in Training
    I have a good understanding of how the new E-Pats system works on the newer cars, and it is not as simple as disabling the switch. We currently do not have a way to disable the system, but in a few months, once the new 2.25 Scanner is out, we will be able to easily disable the Anti-Theft.
    Eric, could you give us an expected date for the new scanner release? pls This is good news for my coyote XW Falcon project. Being able to defeat the Pats means I can the 6R80 transmission and the Copperhead PCM

Quote Originally Posted by XW Coyote View Post
    Eric, could you give us an expected date for the new scanner release? pls This is good news for my coyote XW Falcon project. Being able to defeat the Pats means I can the 6R80 transmission and the Copperhead PCM
    Keith is working hard on releasing the new scanner. Once the software is in place, I have to do definitions for each and every OSID we support, likely starting on the newer stuff and going backwards. I have no definitive date for this.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Eric, for the update. Probably won't need anything till the middle of 2015. At least knowing something is on the way gives me confidence to tell the car builder to go ahead and modify the XW chassis to take the 6R80 transmission. Being able to defeat the Copperheads PATS was my biggest concern with running the Coyote - 6R80 combo in the 1970 Falcon project.

I was planning on running 8 Stack injection on this build which we have discussed before. As there is no aftermarket TCM available for the 6R80 the factory PCM is the only way I can control it. I'm still working on your other idea of running the Aussie PCM. Having trouble with obtaining part numbers from Ford to cost it out

Thanks

Neil

Neil
    Last edited by XW Coyote; 12-30-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I was just wondering if there is any updates on the progress of the PATS disable function

Thanks