Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fan help

Tuner in Training

Electric Fan help

I searched and tried what others have for their settings with dual electric fans, I can control them both, in VCM controls but for some reason every time I start the motor, the 1st fan runs and stays running, no matter what temp. I know its probably something wrong I put in the fields that control the fan just not figuring it out, Thanks in advance for any help. Here is the copy of the tune.
    Installed11-24-14.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Would there be a better place to find out more info about Hp tuners I could look to try and fix this?

Mine is the same way. It has done it ever since it was flashed with HPT. It was originally setup with Tunercat I believe, and it worked fine at that point. No matter what temps I change or enter, it always turns on as soon as I start it, so I will keep an eye on this, but as far as I know, there is no fix for this.

grab a file for a 99 LS1 camaro stock file. there is one in the repository. do a compare with the file that you have in the PCM now to that file. change any necessary data to make them the same. When I did the swap on my 93 notch I had to do this to make it work correctly. you can leave your fan on and off temps where you want them.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you will try that now, just wondering if you changed all the settings, or just the ones under the "fans" tab, as of now I have it set to no ac fitted under the "ac" tab.

I just changed the settings under the fans tab. I do not know if the settings under the AC tab will effect anything. But it is worth a shot changing them to see what happens...

Tuner in Training
    So I tried that, no luck, then went on to change every single option in the ac/fans/general tabs, after that I give up. Nothing I do short of going into VCM controls and switching the fan to off stops it from running. So I think my next step is to just hook both fans to the 2nd fan relay and just let them both come on at the same time.

are you just doing a calibration change or a write entire?

Tuner in Training
    write entire

Senior Tuner
    Are there any DTC's when the engine is running?

I wouldn't screw with the wiring and have the work like that...I'd fix it so they work correctly. It could also have to do with the AC Type fitted selection...instead of leaving that set to no AC, set it to analog like an F-Body.

Post a log of the engine while it's running, including DTC's. I'll figure it out for you.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 12-19-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    I did set it to fbody analog, also tried every setting I could think to change, checked dtc's while running, and there are none, I will change the tune back to the original, get a log file and will post it in a few minutes. Appreciate any help.

Tuner in Training
    This is the tune that is in there now, and a short run file of a cold start till it warmed up enough to drop the idle, the fan running the whole time
    Installed11-24-14fbodyfans.hpt
    fan.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Do you have any credits left on your interface? Are you willing to flash in a complete new base file? I think the solution is a setting we can't see, that going to an F-Body base file will fix.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    And if that's the case...give me your engine/transmission combo. I might be able to make you a new 2001 file with the same VIN in it from an F-Body or Y-Body base code as I have unlimited 2001 trucks...but I'd have to do that using a donor file from a car I've tuned.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 12-19-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    My engine/tranny is 2000 6.0 lq4 with th350 (have it set to non electric auto) I have the 2001 base file that was used when the egr, rear o2's, and evap were eliminated. I had licensed it and saved it before any changes were made to it. (labeled Newtune) Also have the tune that was on the ecu when I got it from the junkyard licensed and saved (junkyardtune)
    I have 2 credits left now.
    Would it be better to put the stock tune back in it and see what codes come up when I run it? And then start removing stuff like egr, evap etc?

Newtune.hpt

Junkyard tune.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Also I am not against a new base file, the only changes that have been made now were to make it a standalone, no actual fuel/timing tuning has been done yet.

Try changing the AC Recirc setting to "Fan 2"

I had a customer at my job get his VATS and emissions and such removed and had an issue with his Fan running constantly. we double checked wiring and reflashed the same tune onto a different PCM and same issue. we changed this one option and it solved it. Its worth a shot IMO. not sure if you already tried it.
    FAN_SETTING.jpg

Senior Tuner
    I'll try to send you a new base tomorrow. To be honest...might as well update to 2002 code, it's better for future tuning anyways. I think starting with an F-Body base program will make your problems go away.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Try changing the AC Recirc setting to "Fan 2"
    That how it is set already.

I'll try to send you a new base tomorrow. To be honest...might as well update to 2002 code, it's better for future tuning anyways. I think starting with an F-Body base program will make your problems go away.
    Thanks for taking the time to help Mike.

Senior Tuner
    I went through and tried to build you a starting file...but to be honest, I'm not sure if it's problems in your DTC section.

My advice, use these 2 files to build what you need. Start with the F-Body M6 file as your base, use the 2500HD file to copy in what you need for spark/fuel/idle for the LQ4 to run...leave all of the trans stuff alone (set to manual).

Leave all of the fan stuff alone too.

Now...start the thing, see what it does, and monitor DTC's. Run it through a few driving cycles monitoring DTC's...you'll probably need to disable EGR/AIR related stuff, and skip shift DTC's (anything you disable, uncheck and set to 3 no error reported).

Any DTC's related to O2 sensors...do the exact same to bank 1 and bank 2...I noticed in your original file, you only have the insufficient switching code disabled on bank 1 but not bank 2. I think something dumb in the DTC section is causing the problem.

Don't change ANY fan settings until you verify that they're staying off and can turn on with VCM controls. Once you've verified that, change the on/off temps to your liking.

2002 M6 Z28.hpt
    2002 Silverado 6.0.hpt
    2023 Durango Hellcat