Thread: 99-00 vs 01-02 truck 411 pcms

99-00 vs 01-02 truck 411 pcms

I have been doing some reading on the 99-00 PCM vs the 01-02 pcms (might just be the 02 pcms???). I have a 2000 rcsb with a 5.3 that I will be doing a turbo build on.

I am mainly concerned about the false knock issues people are having with the early pcms and would also like the extra tables that come with the later pcms.

My main question, I was planning on running a 3bar SD operating system through HP Tuners, would I still run into the false knock issues running that OS on the early PCM? Or since I am changing the OS I will get rid of that issue?

Should I swap to the newer PCM and then do the 3bar SD OS?

Is the newer pcms a direct drop in deal in (assuming engine, trans combo is the same)

Hope this question makes sense

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    99-02 pcms are same and fully interchangeable. It's the o/s that is issue. If you upgrade o/s should be fine. I run my 99 sierra 2500 on a 12212156(01-02) o/s and it works well.

Ok so this maybe a newb question but how do I go about changing the OS to a newer one? Then I can mess with it till I decide to go to the 3bar SD OS

Senior Tuner
    You will have to license your current file and license the newer file (4 credits) unless you have unlimited gen 3 trucks. Make sure you choose the right one. Find a 12212156 out of repository that matches your application and perform a write entire. You will have to disable vats or relink depending on application. You will not be able to make vins match with hpt.

Ok, sounds easy enough, I have access to a 02 computer for less then the price of the the credits to swap, will I need to do anything to the other PCM other then install, disable vats or relearn? That way I only have to license one PCM

Tuner in Training
    02' computer should be plug and play if it is from a newer truck and not something else. Vats should be fine.

Yeah that was the plan, just grab a PCM from a 2002 5.3 auto truck, I can get them for around $65

Ok just for a sanity check I have been doing some more reading and stumbled across this website.

I currently have two PCM's, the one that is in the truck and one that I got with a spare motor, I was not able to hook the spare PCM up to check the OS but looking at the hardware number on the spare it matches the hardware number on the one that's in the truck. Both computers show hardware number 16220610

According to this website I need to look for a PCM that has a hardware number of 9386530? Then check the OS on that ECM to make sure it's running a 12212156 OS.

I keep getting mixed reviews from people saying that the false knock issues are OS related and some saying its hardware related and that I need to go to the newer ECM to get away from it.

Here is the website I was looking at

http://www.lsmotorswap.com/ecu-tunin...e-numbers.html

Advanced Tuner
    With the red / blue connector PCM's you can swap OS's like a revolving door because I've done it. The hardware is so similar it doesn't matter. Is it possible the people who claim the false knock with those PCM's have never tried swapping the entire OS or adjusting the settings? Who knows. The internet is full of people who cry wolf asking for help ASAP then disappear without saying if their problem was ever resolved or what sorted it. Lots of things can cause false knock and many of them are mechanical.

By the way, there are knock sensitivity settings built in that have some adjustment, but I've never needed to change them (mainly retrofit and small cam applications).

There are a lot more available editable tables in the newer (12212156, etc.) OS than previous years but I can't remember what they all are.
    Last edited by gofastwclass; 12-12-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I've never had any false knock issues with any 99-2002 OS. I usually upgrade to the 12212156 2002 OS when I can on those older years because it has more features than the older stuff.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Alright, my main concern was that it would be hardware issue and that even after I swapped OS I would still have issues. I was planning on going to a custom 3bar OS after I turbo it. Does anyone know off the top of their heads if this ECM is upgradeble to the 3bar OS?

Senior Tuner
    Dude, your killing me! The pcm is capable, the software may not be. Not all o/s are. Pull the file and check if its 3bar yourself before you license it.

Tuner in Training
    Would there be any problem updating to a 3bar OS if I don't plan on installing turbos for another year? (I have money for the credits now, just still saving for some of the more expensive items and would like to play around with the real time tuning.)

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread just thought it was similar question.

Senior Tuner
    The enhanced OS is free now (update your HPTuners...just download it from the main website after you login and intall it again).

There's really no point in using it now...it's not an upgrade if there's no boost.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    The enhanced OS is free now (update your HPTuners...just download it from the main website after you login and intall it again).

There's really no point in using it now...it's not an upgrade if there's no boost.
    Thanks for the info!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post

Thanks again, what a fun way to spend the evening!!!!!! So much easier and didn't cost any credits...... Yay!!!!!

Yeah that makes it much nicer, I guess I will be switching to the 12212156 OS and messing with it till it gets boost, then apply the custom OS.

Thank you guys for dealing with the noob questions!