Thread: 2004 GMC Envoy I6 4.2L.... cant change dash speedo no matter what I change

2004 GMC Envoy I6 4.2L.... cant change dash speedo no matter what I change

am I missing something or is there a table missing in HPT??

I bought this thing used, and it appears to have larger than stock tires on it and the speedo is off by about 5%

I can get it to read correctly in HP tuners by changing values.....I just cant get it to show a change in the dash speedo no matter what I do.

Capture.JPG
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Are you trying to change pulses? Have you tried changing tire size "gear/tire calc"?

other than the speed Limiter... these are the only settings in the Speedo Section...

I have tried changing every single value in this section....none of them does anything to the gauge cluster.
    I can make the HPT Scanner Report the correct values, but it doesnt effect the dash cluster no matter what I do.
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    So the screenshot you posted is not from your vehicle? Could you post the whole tune?

Yes.. the screen shot is from my vehicle...
    And there is no need to post the tune...
    There are no other tables in the speedo section other than the speed limiter...lol

Advanced Tuner
    It doesnt work for the 02-05 P10 PCMs. You might be able to get it to work occasionally, but I've spent hours on my personal 02 TB with little to report other that headache. I gave up and decided to live with it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    Yes.. the screen shot is from my vehicle...
    And there is no need to post the tune...
    There are no other tables in the speedo section other than the speed limiter...lol
    But what about the gear/tire calc tab? Are there no options you could change in there?

Tuner
    Lets hope your dash isn't going bad. If you put the stock value back in, does the dash start working normal again.

If yes.
    Try the speedometer again and select gear/tire Calc. In the two boxes under New the first box well be Tire Size, inter the new Tire size your car or truck has. In the second box it is the Gear Ratio, Inter you Gear Ratio of your ride. After the Numbers are plugged in Hit Commit. In the same section were you inter the Tire size if you looked under current the new tire size should be posted.
    In the Speedometer Click on general and look ware the changes were made by the program. If you feel good about it, Flash your ride again and hope for the best and take a ride around the block. I really hope everything works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by askkmb View Post
    But what about the gear/tire calc tab? Are there no options you could change in there?
    that tab is BLANK!!!!!
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by 507 View Post
    Lets hope your dash isn't going bad. If you put the stock value back in, does the dash start working normal again.

If yes.
    Try the speedometer again and select gear/tire Calc. In the two boxes under New the first box well be Tire Size, inter the new Tire size your car or truck has. In the second box it is the Gear Ratio, Inter you Gear Ratio of your ride. After the Numbers are plugged in Hit Commit. In the same section were you inter the Tire size if you looked under current the new tire size should be posted.
    In the Speedometer Click on general and look ware the changes were made by the program. If you feel good about it, Flash your ride again and hope for the best and take a ride around the block. I really hope everything works out for you.

you think I'm new????..LOL
    I guess you dont know about how I helped with the design of the software...LOL

its ok... I forgive you ahead of time.

also, I never said anything about the dash not working...
    it works fine... its just that the parameters in the tune do not effect the physical speedo....
    Confirmed by ScarabEpic22 a few posts above....
    Last edited by S2H; 12-16-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    that tab is BLANK!!!!!
    Well you got me lol. And its weird. Just one more thing to try, but i dont know if it could be the case. If you look at your gauges, is the needle at 0 if parked or is it under/over? Is the speedo all the way off by 5% or does it increase as you go faster?

Tuner
    I love learning. Thank u.

Quote Originally Posted by askkmb View Post
    Well you got me lol. And its weird. Just one more thing to try, but i dont know if it could be the case. If you look at your gauges, is the needle at 0 if parked or is it under/over? Is the speedo all the way off by 5% or does it increase as you go faster?

the speedo matches for the values it would show with stock size tires.....

so its not just a needle offset...
    but I see your logic and I appreciate thought.
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Thats weird. I wonder if the speedo doesnt operate through the pcm and goes directly from the sensor to the gauges?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    It doesnt work for the 02-05 P10 PCMs. You might be able to get it to work occasionally, but I've spent hours on my personal 02 TB with little to report other that headache. I gave up and decided to live with it.
    i think the ipc uses the speed signal off the abs module (via class 2 databus)

i have the 4.2 motor trans and pcm and speedometer from a 04 envoy swapped into a 98 wrangler and i can change the settings just fine unlike my 04 trailblazer daily driver

one of these days ill have enough spare time at work to flash the abs module to a vin with a different ratio and see the effect to prove my theory