Thread: Stalling During Startup

Stalling During Warmup

Hey Guys,

48 hours deep into tuning and I have already ran into some issues go figure.... I recently added headers (boy how fun that was) and I figured I shall tune the Regal. So I do some maf tuning in open loop and upon the initial startup, there is some serious hesitation going on. Initial startup AFR is around 13 or so and then about 30 seconds later the AFR jumps to 17-18ish and then boggs down and stalls. After a few attempts at starting again and as the coolant temps arise, things are pretty normal besides the fact that my AFR is pretty constant at around 17. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time and have a wonderful day

Jeremy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SleepinRegal; 12-06-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    01' Regal LS - ZZP SSM90 Swap, N* w/ LQ4, ZZP Fenderwell Intake, ZZP SS Intercooler, Bosch 42.5#, Speed Daddy Headers, Some Underdrive Pulleys, Walbro Pump w/ Racetronix rewire, Triple Edge Performance HD 3.25 tranny.

You know the saying, "Once the mod bug bites, it never goes away". I can finally agree with that now

Well you wildly changed the VE table( massive change over stock) thats pretty much useless on a MAF based car. You also lowered the MAF readings by alot compared to stock. I am willing to bet that the car will run like normal if you switched to back to stock.

Also just looking at the tune, you are commanding 14.7 AFR while in PE. Unless this is the reason you made the VE table so different, the MAF sensor is far more acturate and easier for tuning on a 3800 in my eyes. And PE enable is at 0% throttle all time, thats not very good either.

What I've said is just my opinion, I see no point to ever touching the VE table on a 3800 powered car even with a wideband and open loop. The maf sensor can do the job better in my eyes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Well thank you for your time and the great input

From now on I will just maf tune and not screw anything else up.
    01' Regal LS - ZZP SSM90 Swap, N* w/ LQ4, ZZP Fenderwell Intake, ZZP SS Intercooler, Bosch 42.5#, Speed Daddy Headers, Some Underdrive Pulleys, Walbro Pump w/ Racetronix rewire, Triple Edge Performance HD 3.25 tranny.

You know the saying, "Once the mod bug bites, it never goes away". I can finally agree with that now

Ok after flashing the pcm with the stock settings, afr was looking great at about 13ish but when I gave it just a little gas the car stalled. After the second try to start, I get back to an AFR of 17-18ish again.

I literally just finished installing Speed Daddy Headers and I am now thinking I have an exhaust leak somewhere. I'll check in the morning. Also I shall mention that I have the wideband plugged into the rear stock o2 bung since the exhaust is now catless.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is your front o2 sensor unplugged or did the wires get burned?

Because the o2 volts never change from like 450-600, they dont move up and down like normal. That can cause a big fueling problem.

Also don't forget to zero out the "ADD vs RPM" is you want to command a lower AFR like you have. Because that will take 11 afr and minus whatever the add vs rpm table wants and make it lower and lower as time goes on.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 12-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

A little update...

After some logging in the scanner I noticed that the front o2 remained pretty stable at idle, but when I give it a little gas the O2 starts cycling like normal (I think this is what it is supposed to do) or if I turn the heat on it will cycle as well

I believe I have narrowed this issue down to the cat test the pcm does (I think gm integrated this for 01+ 3800's) and since I don't have either a cat or the rear O2 plugged in, the pcm is almost literally "dumping" fuel trying search for the cat (My LTFT's are like -15ish).

After some extensive research and a few homebrews later I have tried the following with absolutely no luck:

1) Downloaded the Tiny Tuner app to try to delete the cat that way, but since you have to convert your .hpt to .bin for the Tiny Tuner to read the file, I am not even confident on how to even accomplish this.

2) I tried to just plug in the rear o2 and let it hang but with the same results.

Thinking about just splicing the rear 02 wires with the front ones and go from there
    Last edited by SleepinRegal; 12-07-2014 at 05:53 PM.