Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbe lost! need advise

Potential Tuner

Newbe lost! need advise

I bought a 2001 Trans Am with a Trex cam, SLP longtube headers, 92 mm throttle body, green top ford 42 lb injectors, 4000 stall converter, 4;10 9 inch ford, it had been tuned but I think the injectors were add after it was tuned so it did not idle or drive well, So i thought I would step up to the plate and put my feeler gauge and timing light in the closet and step into the future and bought a HPtuner pro. when I got the flash part it said security access denied so It had a tuner lock on it according to the fine people at HP tuner. I bought a junk yard pcu put it in it starts and dies. I know all of this is probably above my pay grade. I will take it to a professional tuner with a dyno in the spring but I would like to get it in the ball park. I would love any input any one has for me. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    disable the vats or do the 30 min relearn. You can google both.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    disable the vats or do the 30 min relearn. You can google both.
    Thanks

Senior Tuner
    So you put in a PCM with a stock tune in it with all those mods and it starts then dies? It's not the VATS. On a 01 F-body if the key satisfies the VATS it doesn't matter what the VIN is in the pcm. You can swap PCMs between f-bodies and VATS relearn is not required. Your problem is the stock tune trying to run an engine with those mods.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    So you put in a PCM with a stock tune in it with all those mods and it starts then dies? It's not the VATS. On a 01 F-body if the key satisfies the VATS it doesn't matter what the VIN is in the pcm. You can swap PCMs between f-bodies and VATS relearn is not required. Your problem is the stock tune trying to run an engine with those mods.
    The O/P didn't specify it was stock fbody pcm, just a used one. I would still disable the vats to confirm it.

A better answer on my part would be post your tune.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 12-05-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    The O/P didn't specify it was stock fbody pcm, just a used one. I would still disable the vats to confirm it.

A better answer on my part would be post your tune.
    I am sorry I am new at this, the new PMC is out of a pickup

Senior Tuner
    Why would you think a PCM out of a pickup would plug and play in a F-body?

Potential Tuner

Smile

Why would you think a PCM out of a pickup would plug and play in a F-body?
    The guy at the junk yard did not say an thing about it not working. As far as not know it wouldn't work did you read the first part of the post when I said I was a newbe? I will admit I am ignorant "Lacking education or knowledge;not aware;lacking comprehension." I am not stupid, that why I am here asking questions.

Senior Tuner
    I don't care how new you are to this. Common sense should tell you that if you are going to replace a PCM in any vehicle with a used one it should at least come from the same kind of vehicle. Sorry if that seems harsh. There are ways to make a PCM out of a truck work in a F-body, but not just plugging it in without programming it first with a calibration for the vehicle it is going into. Especially as non stock a vehicle as you have.

Quote Originally Posted by hofdoug View Post
    The guy at the junk yard did not say an thing about it not working.
    Next time come here first and ask before you purchase. The guys at most junk yards have no clue about programing and most will say anything to get the part out of the door.

But to answer your question,

Post the tune as Mecanicman stated.

You probably will need to have the PCM flashed but we will not know until we can see the tune.

Don't worry, we all have to learn at some point.
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    go to the repository download a stock tune or u might find a tune kind of matching what you have. Not sure about vin but u can program vin and vats since u already bought the pcm u can try this might work. It could brick it but if you have no knowledge probably going to hurt something more excpensive then that ecu. and that is guessing its the right pcm I now out of a truck but you should be able to program it if parameters are the same. again give it a try.

You stated that you were not able to do a flash to the original ecu. I assume you were able to do a read?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EDH View Post
    You stated that you were not able to do a flash to the original ecu. I assume you were able to do a read?
    Yes I did

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffolkauto01 View Post
    go to the repository download a stock tune or u might find a tune kind of matching what you have. Not sure about vin but u can program vin and vats since u already bought the pcm u can try this might work. It could brick it but if you have no knowledge probably going to hurt something more excpensive then that ecu. and that is guessing its the right pcm I now out of a truck but you should be able to program it if parameters are the same. again give it a try.
    I not sure where the "repository" is and not real sure how to go about down loading to the truck pcm.

once your logged in you'll see a link at the top of the page for "tune repository".
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

If it was already tuned and the only thing wrong is the injector data then you should be able to reflash that truck PCM(as long as it's the correct one) to a 2001 trans am O@. From there you should be able to take the data from the original tune and input it in, rescale the injectors and it SHOULD be close.

Operative word is SHOULD.

Quote Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE View Post
    If it was already tuned and the only thing wrong is the injector data then you should be able to reflash that truck PCM(as long as it's the correct one) to a 2001 trans am OS. From there you should be able to take the data from the original tune and input it in, rescale the injectors and it SHOULD be close.

This.....

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE View Post
    If it was already tuned and the only thing wrong is the injector data then you should be able to reflash that truck PCM(as long as it's the correct one) to a 2001 trans am O@. From there you should be able to take the data from the original tune and input it in, rescale the injectors and it SHOULD be close.

How can he take any data from his original tune that is tuner locked?

How can he take any data from his original tune that is tuner locked?
    Many times you are able to do a read but HPT will not allow you to license the pcm to load a new tune on it. LS Edit does the same thing to us with HPT.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hofdoug View Post
    when I got the flash part it said security access denied so It had a tuner lock on it according to the fine people at HP tuner.
    Does not sound like he can pull the tune.

hofdoug, I sent you a pm. If you follow the instructions I can get you rolling in the right direction.