Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote with Roush, tuning HELP!

Advanced Tuner

Coyote with Roush, tuning HELP!

I currently have a 2014 GT, A6 with Roush canned 575HP tune. It has a stock air box, stock 47 lb. injectors, stock dual 60mm TB, and 85 mm pulley(exactly the way the Roush TVS2300 comes in the kit). I will be replacing the injectors with ID1000's, replacing the returnless fuel system with a return style with 3 pumps and a boost reference FPR. Also, going to smaller 72mm pulley . With closed air box, boost should be ~12.5 lbs.
    I know I have to plug in the ID1000 data for the injectors, turn off codes for fuel pumps, and increase voltage for pumps. Since my MAF is in the stock location and intake tube, my MAF table should be close, correct? What else should I look at?

Most things I've read state I should start with the stock tune for the coyote, instead of starting with the Roush tune. Do you guys agree or disagree?

I have the LaSota guide for HP Tuners and I have a better understanding of what I'm doing than when I started, but the Coyote seems to do things differently from the previous Fords. From what I can tell, some of the differences are: 1)There is no adaptive learning 2)There is no "load from failed MAF table 3)There are no IMRC's(on blower cars) 4)It does not use OL/CL like previous Fords(I'm thinking it has to do with the widebands that come equipped on the car). If any of these conclusions are wrong, please tell me.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction is deeply appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    The Roush Canned Tune as in the ecu being sent off to be flashed with the Roush Strategy? Mind posting up your stock file, most of the time, Roush turns off the knock sensors. Turn them back on, I have not gotten any false knock with the blowers. If the maf is in the stock location and you are using the Roush strategy, as long as the injector data is correct, your fueling should be spot on.

Advanced Tuner
    Ortiz, you are correct. Under spark>knock sensors>general> it shows 0 knock sensors fitted. Yes, it's the tune you get when you send the ECU to get flashed by Roush. I uploaded the tune to repository. I guess they are still having issues, since it's not there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I currently have a 2014 GT, A6 with Roush canned 575HP tune. It has a stock air box, stock 47 lb. injectors, stock dual 60mm TB, and 85 mm pulley(exactly the way the Roush TVS2300 comes in the kit). I will be replacing the injectors with ID1000's, replacing the returnless fuel system with a return style with 3 pumps and a boost reference FPR. Also, going to smaller 72mm pulley . With closed air box, boost should be ~12.5 lbs.
    I know I have to plug in the ID1000 data for the injectors, turn off codes for fuel pumps, and increase voltage for pumps. Since my MAF is in the stock location and intake tube, my MAF table should be close, correct? What else should I look at?

Most things I've read state I should start with the stock tune for the coyote, instead of starting with the Roush tune. Do you guys agree or disagree?

I have the LaSota guide for HP Tuners and I have a better understanding of what I'm doing than when I started, but the Coyote seems to do things differently from the previous Fords. From what I can tell, some of the differences are: 1)There is no adaptive learning 2)There is no "load from failed MAF table 3)There are no IMRC's(on blower cars) 4)It does not use OL/CL like previous Fords(I'm thinking it has to do with the widebands that come equipped on the car). If any of these conclusions are wrong, please tell me.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction is deeply appreciated.
    You don't need to change voltage to the pumps. The 2011+ Mustangs have a mechanical returnless fuel system, unlike the 2005-2010 Mustangs that had an Electronic Returnless. Under fuel system, you need to set the fuel pressure to match what you are going to run on the regulator.

I would start with your current tune.

There is adaptive learning, there is no load w/ failed MAF table, there are no IMRCs on the 11-14s (15s have them). It does use open loop but only briefly at startup. Once it goes closed loop, it stays there in normal cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortiz View Post
    The Roush Canned Tune as in the ecu being sent off to be flashed with the Roush Strategy? Mind posting up your stock file, most of the time, Roush turns off the knock sensors. Turn them back on, I have not gotten any false knock with the blowers. If the maf is in the stock location and you are using the Roush strategy, as long as the injector data is correct, your fueling should be spot on.
    The early Roush files has the knock sensors disabled, the later ones do not.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the info Eric!

Is the Adaptive learning switch the same as LTFT enable switch? Does this need to be off when tuning or logging?
    Does it need to be in forced OL while tuning or logging?

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Thanks for the info Eric!

Is the Adaptive learning switch the same as LTFT enable switch? Does this need to be off when tuning or logging?
    Does it need to be in forced OL while tuning or logging?
    Yes, the LTFT switch is for the adaptive fuel learning.

You do not need to force open loop. Just log and adjust for the correction the PCM is making.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Gotcha! Thanks Eric!

Advanced Tuner
    Another area I'm struggling with is the strategy and pcm code. The Lasota book says the strategy is the family and code is a member of that family. What's the difference between a strategy and a calibration?
    The strategy on my car is FSFR0EA and pcm code WYN3. So the process as I understand it is, 1) Read your pcm and save file. 2) Make changes to said file and save. 3) Load file into pcm. My question is, if I start with a different strategy say FSFR0A7 and make changes and load that into my pcm, what will happen?
    Last edited by txcharlie; 12-15-2014 at 02:40 PM.

I think the strategy determines the weighing factors and which mapped points are used. you can change strategies but I have noticed if you copy over a whole tune into your base sometimes it will cause a no start issue, I have tried to copy over a whole roush tune to a stock 2014 and it cause the anti theft light to flash and milage to look like this ------ instread of actual digits.
    GOD HELP US ALL....

Advanced Tuner
    So, it's best to read the strategy from my car, make changes and then load it back in?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    if you are using a stock strategy of 2014 GT i would rescale your MAF period to give you more range.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Do you mean increasing the number of entries? Do I interpolate them? And why is the scale backwards? More time = less air? Why do the last three y axis entries jump from 661 to 711 to 1400. So confused
    Last edited by txcharlie; 12-16-2014 at 09:35 AM.

lower the period to gain higher Hz reading of your MAF transfer you will need to also adjust the Hz curve as well.

Advanced Tuner
    The strategy is FSFR0EA which a Roush strategy I believe.

you can compare the roush Strategy and copy over necessary changes like:

Baro/map
    torque/inverse
    DD
    maf transfer

at minimum

Advanced Tuner
    Don't get hung up on the strategy. You already have a good one, so no need to change. Leave the MAF scaling alone unless you find you actually need more range. Chances are that with your mods, you will be fine. If not, you can then just re scale the higher airflow region without having to do a lot of rework.

Advanced Tuner
    Update....I have the return fuel system installed, setup with 1:1 boost reference. Id1000's are in. I have loaded the injector data and it starts and idles great. Having logged idle and rev the STFT are consistently lean by ~ 10% at idle. I made some adjustments in the MTF and logged again. The STFT are still about 10% lean at idle. I did not disable adaptive learning. Could that cause my adjustments to have no effect.
    Also, wondering if my fuel pressure settings are correct. My static pressure is 55lbs and running 13lbs of boost, so the FPR will increase fuel pressure to a max of 68lbs. At idle running ~10lbs of vacuum the FPR will decrease fuel pressure to 45lbs. I adjusted inferred rail pressure to 68lbs in the top cell(0 lbs flow), 45lbs in bottom cell(6 lbs flow) and 55 in the middle cells. As I type this I realize that must be backwards. Should be 68lbs in bottom cell and 45lbs in top cell, right?
    Do I change the "Inferred rail pressure low" table to 45 in all cells? Could this be the cause for my lean idle? PCM thinks the minimum rail pressure is 55, when it's actually 45?

Advanced Tuner
    No input?

If you are return style, the inferred fuel pressure should be set to whatever you set the fuel pressure to (vacuum off) as this is the delta pressure, not gauge pressure.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

I'm also under the assumption that the Fuel Flow values in that table aren't actually fuel flow but engine rpm in thousands. Am I correct in thinking that or did I pick up something outdated in researching this?