Thread: WOT Hemi Timing

WOT Hemi Timing

I have my WOT tables calibrated and am receiving reported timing of 4-8 degrees higher. I set my WOT and PT Base the same for now and have zeroed out my ECT cold and IAT cold tables also for now. No matter what I change I still keep receiving the same timing values give or take 1 degree on every run. I have not changed my commanded WOT from my original settings, I am just looking to find the extra timing being added. Any ideas?

Bad383TA

Advanced Tuner
    Mind posting up your calibration file so we can get a better look at what you're working with?

I don't have the calibration available at this time to upload. However this is what I have found with my commanded timing problem. I have all the add/subtract tables zeroed out and have all WOT, Base and MBT timing tables set to the same thing, the minimum Table is also set about 15 below my requested. I am still seeing timing levels 4-8 degrees higher then commanded and the same values regardless of dyno pull. I came to the conclusion that something must be in the background that HPT has not yet made available. I have that other tuning software that we often refer to but can't stand its functionality (so I hate to use it). I looked into the tune with the other and found another WOT timing table that HPT does not have. (WOT Spark With VVT at Lock Pin) I dont yet understand this table. The engine that I am calibrating has VVT locked out due to a large camshaft. I made the values in This VVT lock Pin table what i wanted for commanded and finally I received them. I don't know why VVT lock pin is used and at these power levels I don't wish to experiment with it. I just need HPT to add the VVT Timing tables to the Beta so I can be 100% HPT HEMI Tuned! I also found the stock retard/knock values to be extremely sensitive pulling timing all over. If I loosen these tables up a bit the car picks up 70 rwhp and 60 rwtq, it can't be real knock with these power gains.

Happy Hemi Tuning
    Bad383TA

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome! Wish I had access to "other tuning software" in order to be able to help find other tables that could be useful in my application. I know there are other useful tables out there (torque management x gear, for example), but without something to show for it, I don't feel like I can push for it all that much.

I just bought a new interface just to do Dodges. I have been tuning Dodges on the Diablo software for several years now. I will start playing with HPT next week and see if I can be of any assistance.

Potential Tuner
    Hey bad383ta, Im tuning a Hemi right now and gettin a lotta knock that doesn't seem like real knock (ie ihave dropped timing the amount of the KR, but it still knocks).

You mentioned "I also found the stock retard/knock values to be extremely sensitive pulling timing all over. If I loosen these tables up a bit the car picks up 70 rwhp and 60 rwtq, it can't be real knock with these power gains. "

Which tables did you "loosen" and how much did you "loosen" them?

Thanks in advance. (not pun intended)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by evo_jay View Post
    Hey bad383ta, Im tuning a Hemi right now and gettin a lotta knock that doesn't seem like real knock (ie ihave dropped timing the amount of the KR, but it still knocks).

You mentioned "I also found the stock retard/knock values to be extremely sensitive pulling timing all over. If I loosen these tables up a bit the car picks up 70 rwhp and 60 rwtq, it can't be real knock with these power gains. "

Which tables did you "loosen" and how much did you "loosen" them?

Thanks in advance. (not pun intended)
    Be extremely careful, the distance between the valve relief and the top ring is about 3mm. the factory knock sensors work well. these things run in knock from factory. Unless its forged...? don't adjust it. I have tuned plenty of force and non forced 300c's and SRT8's. Also in relation to WOT spark and part throttle spark, you guys are looking in the wrong area.

Advanced Tuner
    What year? Some years have "glass" pistons as others don't.

Has it got forged pistons ?
    mine is a bit noisey when cold and sets off the Knock sensors with the resulting KR retard , so I set the activation temp thresholds much higher and dulled off the knock sensitivity gives the pistons time to heat up and stop the clatter which happens when the oil temp goes above 85 c,