Thread: Can an s6-40 ZF transmission generate a speed signal recognized by an LS pcm?

Can an s6-40 ZF transmission generate a speed signal recognized by an LS pcm?

I'm doing a startup tune for a customer who will be bringing us his car to tune soon. It has a ZF transmission from a 1994 corvette and an LQ9 engine/harness/pcm combo. Will the speed signal given to the pcm work with the ZF's sensor?

I found the following information on the ZF: VEHICLE SPEED INDICATION SYSTEM (VSIS) - The C4 Corvette VSIS uses a pulse-signal-reference generated from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). The VSS, when equipped with a 15 tooth (T) drive gear (on output shaft) and 42T driven gear turning the VSS combined with a 3.45:1 differential ration, produces 4000 pulses per mile traveled. The VSIS is calibrated to 4000 pulses equaling one mile. When the differential (final drive) ratio changes, so does the pulses generated over each mile.

Sorry for the Newb questions. I did an efi connection swap on an LT1 powered c4 a while back and never could get any signal from the ZF's vss to the ecu. I'm not sure if that was due to the settings in the tune under the speedo tab, or if it just doesn't generate the right type of signal or what.

Any help or advice on the matter would be much appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    I would think so. You would need to change the number of VSS teeth in the tune which is 17 for a T56 for example.

We just installed a Jerico in Caseys '98 4th gen and installed a Ford sensor and an 18 tooth spur gear from Boston gear. Works great.

How many wires go to the ZF VSS?

Jason

It has a drive and driven gear like an earlier ford transmission I suppose..... I'm not sure how I'd input the data in the hpt file to reflect the ZF's sensor. I don't really have an understanding of how the values in the tune file are calculated. What is th difference in 'general VSS pulses per mile' and 'VSS output pulses per mile'. Understanding 'VSS pulses per rev - trans' is simple enough if it actually had a reluctor with a set number of teeth/cogs.

Two wires go to the ZF vss I believe.

Advanced Tuner
    The VSS "gear" would be a ratio of the 15 tooth driving the 42 tooth. So I believe the gear would be 2.8 "teeth". This is what you would enter in the Rev-Trans box.

So it sounds like its a little different than the Hall effects sensor but you should get the same result if you carry through the gear ratios, tire size etc.

Jason

Advanced Tuner
    It just occurred to me that this sensor may not work like the Hall effects sensor. You may need to look at the vette ZF wiring schematic to see what is going to / coming from the VSS.

Jason