Thread: Throttle closing during shift 6r80

Potential Tuner

Throttle closing during shift 6r80

Working on a friends 2011 mustang with a 2.3 tvs on a 69 pulley. He has a dyno tune from a known tuner but the shifting has been an issue. We worked out most of the bugs on the shifting however it keeps closing the throttle and show torque source 4 at the shift. I am commanding the car to shift at 7,350RPM at 69MPH the trans limiters are set to 7,750 and the engine limiter is set to 7,500. Any help would be appreciated.below is a screen shot of datalog 2-3 shift i can screenshot whatever is asked for from the tune. If i lower the MPH it will shift without closing the throttle but the owner wants to shift the car closer to 7350rpm. Same thing is happening on the 3-4 shift. I will email tune and datalog if anyone can help narrow down the issue.
    datalog.PNGdatalog.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ctol981909 View Post
    Working on a friends 2011 mustang with a 2.3 tvs on a 69 pulley. He has a dyno tune from a known tuner but the shifting has been an issue. We worked out most of the bugs on the shifting however it keeps closing the throttle and show torque source 4 at the shift. I am commanding the car to shift at 7,350RPM at 69MPH the trans limiters are set to 7,750 and the engine limiter is set to 7,500. Any help would be appreciated.below is a screen shot of datalog 2-3 shift i can screenshot whatever is asked for from the tune. If i lower the MPH it will shift without closing the throttle but the owner wants to shift the car closer to 7350rpm. Same thing is happening on the 3-4 shift. I will email tune and datalog if anyone can help narrow down the issue.
    datalog.PNGdatalog.PNG
    Sounds like the shift points are set incorrectly and the car is hitting the rev limiter.

I would start by turning off RPM antic. shifts and lowering the shift points. Attached are some shift points I have setup on a local TVS car running a 3.73.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Sounds like the shift points are set incorrectly and the car is hitting the rev limiter.

I would start by turning off RPM antic. shifts and lowering the shift points. Attached are some shift points I have setup on a local TVS car running a 3.73.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input. We want to car to rev to closer to 7,350 so i will try commanding the shift to start earlier and see if that helps. I have the engine RPM limiter at 7500 and the trans limiters at 7,750 the are is shifting just under 7,400 but it is shutting the throttle off. I read the table that you have a screen shot of as when to start the shift but it appears on the logs as soon as the car revs over 7,350 it shuts down the throttle and shows torque source 4. If i lower the MPH for the shift it will not shut the throttle. I am trying to figure out what setting is shutting the throttle. I will try lowering the RPM shift point but we want the car to rev to 7300+ in that gear. I guess i could lower the RPM and slow down the shift to make it rev a little longer. I will also turn off shift antics as you mentioned and give it a shot and report back. This car has 3.55 gears in it just FYI. Really trying to figure out what is causing the torque source code to come on.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ctol981909 View Post
    Thanks for the input. We want to car to rev to closer to 7,350 so i will try commanding the shift to start earlier and see if that helps. I have the engine RPM limiter at 7500 and the trans limiters at 7,750 the are is shifting just under 7,400 but it is shutting the throttle off. I read the table that you have a screen shot of as when to start the shift but it appears on the logs as soon as the car revs over 7,350 it shuts down the throttle and shows torque source 4. If i lower the MPH for the shift it will not shut the throttle. I am trying to figure out what setting is shutting the throttle. I will try lowering the RPM shift point but we want the car to rev to 7300+ in that gear. I guess i could lower the RPM and slow down the shift to make it rev a little longer. I will also turn off shift antics as you mentioned and give it a shot and report back. This car has 3.55 gears in it just FYI. Really trying to figure out what is causing the torque source code to come on.
    TQ source 4 = ** 4 - Engine Speed Limiting

That tells me you are hitting a rev limiter. Your fix should be commanding the shift earlier. The log will confirm when the shift actually takes place.

Advanced Tuner
    PM sent.