Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Widebands Lie. Or Don't Ignore Your Narrowbands!

Just curious, but do you need to replace the entire PLX setup (i.e. gauge and module) to run the new Gen 4 Bosch sensor? I too bought the PLX Gen 3 setup about a year ago, and recently had seen the information on the new sensor. It would be nice if the new sensor was a plug & play deal, but I'm thinking I might be a little optimistic on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyCool View Post
    I think like anything the longer the cable the more lag you'll get.
    Probably not much at 9,820,800 feet per second :-D

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWMD82 View Post
    Just curious, but do you need to replace the entire PLX setup (i.e. gauge and module) to run the new Gen 4 Bosch sensor? I too bought the PLX Gen 3 setup about a year ago, and recently had seen the information on the new sensor. It would be nice if the new sensor was a plug & play deal, but I'm thinking I might be a little optimistic on that.
    Excellent question, sorry I never got back to this.

I actually wondered the same thing because my PLX module is buried behind my dash. I know for a fact that the connectors on the widebands are different, so you can't just plug in the new sensor to the old harness. From what I read about the new Bosch sensor, part of the speed increase is in the controller, which makes perfect sense. So my answer or guess would be you have to use the new controller with the new wideband.

I did ask PLX, but it wasn't one of the tech guys I had on the phone so I wasn't very confident on the answer. He said the controllers are different. I think the only ways to be sure are to actually ask on of the tech guys at PLX, open up the controllers and look at what's inside or just try plugging in the new wideband and harness to the old controller and see how it reads.

Thanks for the reply. The pictures on PLX's site look identical, but it would make sense if there were internal control module differences and different 02 sensor connectors. Getting to my controller and swapping out the sensor harness really isn't a big deal at all if I need to. As long as the module power wiring and compatibility with my DM-6 gauge are unchanged, then I'm okay with that. I really don't want to replace and re-wire that stuff.

Of course, PLX hasn't gotten back to me yet. Hopefully they'll give me a solid answer in the next few days.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    On this particular LSA car I have about 5k miles on it since the swap and I'm on my 543'd tune revision and my 477'th log!
    A bit off-topic and don't tell this to anyone.

I mean, 1.5 hours at dyno should be enough for any engine combination to get everything dialed in perfectly. :-)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles View Post
    A bit off-topic and don't tell this to anyone.

I mean, 1.5 hours at dyno should be enough for any engine combination to get everything dialed in perfectly. :-)
    Lol. They must do things a little differently in Finland! We drive our cars on the street here, not on dynos.

BTW, Merry Christmas Everyone!!!! What's Christmas like in Finland Pekka?