Thread: got my 2001 t/a ls1 4l60 w pcm and harness today, vats?

Question got my 2001 t/a ls1 4l60 w pcm and harness today, vats?

I read thru several forums and im am not sure what it would take to disable the vats totally for a foxbody swap.
    if anyone knows what all needs to be done it would be nice to have a clear guide for the initial tune to start the engine after these swaps.
    ive read so many diff things from bcms and everything else but all I have is the complete drivetrain, harness, ecu and time lol
    any help is greatly appreciated

btw, this is the first gm ive ever tuned, been all ford since birth lol... I feel like im going to hell for this swap but its starting to feel good...

disabling the VATS is fairly simple on these GEN 3 PCMs. just go into the editor and under System> General select VATS : NONE. there are also a few DTCs I disable in Engine Diagnostics that have to do with Key immobilizers and such.

After turning VATS off in the tune, you have to do a "write entire". Just doing a "write calibration", will not get it turned off. For a swap car, all you have to do is the VATS = NONE as stated above.
    2015 Corvette Convertible
    1992 GMC with 5.3 LM7
    Factory Five Roadster LS1 Tremec TKO

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    After turning VATS off in the tune, you have to do a "write entire". Just doing a "write calibration", will not get it turned off. For a swap car, all you have to do is the VATS = NONE as stated above.
    That doesn't apply to the older blue/red, blue/green connector Gen3 PCMs. Write calibration with VATS set to none will turn it off on those. VATS is under the System Tab on those. Only calibrations where the VATS is under the OS Tab does a write entire have to be used.

sorry for the misinformation on the write entire being needed. Thanks 2xLS1 for the clarification.
    2015 Corvette Convertible
    1992 GMC with 5.3 LM7
    Factory Five Roadster LS1 Tremec TKO