Thread: swapping pcm

Tuner in Training

swapping pcm

I have a 97 c5 pcm and trying to swap my 98 c5 pcm. My obd2 port does not work with the new pcm. As soon I put the old pcm I can use the obd2 port. Is their something I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by douniasg View Post
    I have a 97 c5 pcm and trying to swap my 98 c5 pcm. My obd2 port does not work with the new pcm. As soon I put the old pcm I can use the obd2 port. Is their something I am missing?
    They are interchangeable. The new PCM probably has some issues.

Tuner in Training
    The new pcm came out of my other vette that was running. Would the different vin # have anything to do with it?

Tuner in Training
    ttt

Tuner
    When in doubt, remove the chassis. Goto the junkyard and get a OBD2 port off a new vehicle. The more wires coming off of it, the better.

Now, go home, get the pinout diagram for the 98 PCM and connect the OBD2 pigtail to the PCM and connect a fused 12v power source to the PCM. Now connect HPT to the port and test it that way.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by douniasg View Post
    The new pcm came out of my other vette that was running. Would the different vin # have anything to do with it?
    The vehicle was running, but could you read the PCM through the OBD2 port before you removed the PCM? What if you install the 97 PCM in the 98 vehicle? Can you read that PCM?

Tuner in Training
    IIRC there's a pin in the DLC that you need to move.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
    The vehicle was running, but could you read the PCM through the OBD2 port before you removed the PCM? What if you install the 97 PCM in the 98 vehicle? Can you read that PCM?
    Yes, I could read the pcm through OBD2. I even have license with hptuners. The 97 pcm is out of my personal car which is highly modified and I switched to fast xfi. The 98 is my brothers which is having the problems. So we decided to swap pcms since I had laying around. But couldn't get it to work.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    IIRC there's a pin in the DLC that you need to move.
    Do have anymore info on this? I thought the 97 & 98 are identical.

Advanced Tuner
    I just checked GM Service Information on both 97 and 98 corvette. Pcm and dlc show same pin out for Power, Grown, DLC, and MIL for both years.
    04 Single cab Lq4/243 228r 112lsa, Long tubes, catless, Yank st3000.