Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Economy Tuning Ideas

Tuner
    I did the mods EC mentioned above by matching his O2 values and when logging I am now getting 100 or maybe -100 in my LTFT, I dont know if I need to tweek the values or what. I am back to my original tune.
    Thanks
    Dave

Custom did you start the car up and still get those values??

Those are default numbers till you crank it on some OS's

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    yep it was driving down the road.. I have not tried any more on it.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
    I did the mods EC mentioned above by matching his O2 values and when logging I am now getting 100 or maybe -100 in my LTFT, I dont know if I need to tweek the values or what. I am back to my original tune.
    Thanks
    Dave
    I had this happen to me also....I had to reload the default imperial .cfg in the scanning software then rebuild my custom config.

Tuner
    Ok I will retry and setup my default config. I was using a custom that I had built and I think it went back to working when I reset my o2 values.
    Thanks
    Dave

This is probably a repost. I read 9 pages of this forum. Looking for some DFCO setting ideas. And maybe some open closed loop ideas. There is so many pages sorry for the repost.

I get 16 mpg around town in my truck and 18 highway I'd like to improve
    2011 2500hd WT all stock leveled 33 grabber at2 plow truck toy hauler... Learning to tune....

86 grand national stock motor, stock trans, te 44 turbo, splash of alky 25lbs of boost. Waiting to see the track.....

Tuner in Training
    How can I make a MPG average PID?

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    sens.112 is extremely important....Injector Pulse Width in milleseconds

if its not working then you are missing something while logging
    must log all of those parameters...

I have an updated one now too..takes into account IAT and ECT..

[SENS.20]/(([PID.6210]*0.132276)*[SENS.112]*[SENS.70]*8/(6175*(((([SENS.11]+[sens.10])/2)+273.15)/299.8167)))

this should get you MPG..and should compensate a little for fuel temperature a little bit..cause fuel weighs different amounts at different temperatures

seems to be accurate in my car...
    works perfect..last 4 tanks have been all within .5 of dead on for me...

basically its
    [MPH]/(([Injector Flow Rate]*0.132276)*[InjectorPulse Width]*[RPM]*8/(6175*(((([IAT]+[ECT])/2)+273.15)/299.8167)))

with everything converted so that the units match appropriately

You Must Log:
    Vehicle SPEED
    Injector Flow Rate
    Injector Pulse Width
    Engine SPEED
    IAT
    ECT

what i did was made a histogram using the MPG pid, though not sure how accurate the averages are.. it works and im happy with it. might want to take the hits per cell count down from 99, i just last used it with 99 hits before it starts logging on each cell, i could be totally wrong with this histogram but again im happy with it, think you would be too
    Last edited by Monty; 02-16-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Tuner
    After doing some maths and finding out I burn almsot a gallon every hour of idling, and I idle a lot in daily traffic, I would like to decrease my mpg a little.
    I'm tired of getting 8.5mpg in city This is 383ci auto with 3500stall 3.73 gears but still...
    So I have 2 specific questions:
    1) what's the minimum idle rpm you can set without losing driveability?
    2) what mpg you can achieve on highway at 60-65mph?
    3) can I have DFCO with automatic tranny?
    LS1 383ci 98' FBody, turboed, 00' PCM, 4L80E, 90# FIC injectors
    110ci Nissan 200SX, 25psi, 370whp

Stock cars idle around 550, MPG at 60-65 depends on the setup but I have had supercharged 700+ cars do 25-30 at those speeds (alot depends on gearing). DFCO can be used with an auto trans.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Stock cars idle around 550, MPG at 60-65 depends on the setup but I have had supercharged 700+ cars do 25-30 at those speeds (alot depends on gearing). DFCO can be used with an auto trans.
    2012 Corvette ZR1 only gets 21mpg on highway, how do you possibly get 25-30mpg in heavier bigger car (and Corvette is lighter and smaller than most V8's) ?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetal View Post
    2012 Corvette ZR1 only gets 21mpg on highway, how do you possibly get 25-30mpg in heavier bigger car (and Corvette is lighter and smaller than most V8's) ?
    Getting better fuel mileage depends largely on your right foot. Also depends if you do highway or city and at what speed (ie your right foot again). I have a 2004 Silverado extended cab 5.3L 3.73 gears, eaton style roots blower and can get about 20mpg at 70mph. At 55 mph, I can get about 24 mpg's. I also drive it like a granny until power is absolutely needed.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky_1 View Post
    hello guys,

I have read through this whole thread a few times now trying to figure out what the best settings are, or should be as a general rule. It seems everyone has gotten off track though, instead of worrying about what to adjust for economy we have been more worried about "how" to monitor the economy. I am not saying its not needed, I am just saying its getting tougher to wade through the mess.

So, has anyone on these past 11 pages gone through, played with different settings, and have some numbers they can come back and post? If nobody has anything then my next mission is to go back through, dig up every table and cell people talk about, and come up with some numbers that are in there, or have been tried in there.

Its my hope that someone (perhaps me) can at least identify all in one post where the important cells are, and some sort of range to make on them.

If anyone has started something like this all ready then please let me know.

I just came in from doing a bunch of changes to my 07 Chev Express 3500. I will be monitoring it over the next couple weeks to see what my average economy goes up to. So far I have averaged 16.8 L/100km with a good blend of mixed driving. Stay Tuned for some results.
    Stinky_1,

For what it is worth, I have been playing around with strictly timing in the "cruise" range in the High Octane spark tables. The range I have played in is the 0.12 - 0.32 g/cyl and rpm range from 1400 - 2200 rpm's. I have noticed a slight change in mpg's (maybe 1mpg or so) and have noticed a slightly smoother running engine and smoother powerband. I think in this range I am around 40 degrees of timing, but I run 93 octane. There might be some more timing that I have left on the table, but I did my tuning when it was about 75 F outside, so I am cautious as higher ambient temps could put me into the knock arena. I hope this helps some.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mpr'srpm View Post
    Stinky_1,

For what it is worth, I have been playing around with strictly timing in the "cruise" range in the High Octane spark tables. The range I have played in is the 0.12 - 0.32 g/cyl and rpm range from 1400 - 2200 rpm's. I have noticed a slight change in mpg's (maybe 1mpg or so) and have noticed a slightly smoother running engine and smoother powerband. I think in this range I am around 40 degrees of timing, but I run 93 octane. There might be some more timing that I have left on the table, but I did my tuning when it was about 75 F outside, so I am cautious as higher ambient temps could put me into the knock arena. I hope this helps some.
    On light load, lean areas you are able to run more timing. I wouldn't exceed 40*. A trick you can do for fuel mileage is lean out the light load area until it starts to barely cut out, then add timing until the motor runs smoothly again
    Deep into tuning Hondas',
    Looking to move on to Chevy gassers

Potential Tuner
    Honduh,

When you mention lean out the light load area, are you referring to the VE tables, closed loop O2 tables, something different or a combination? I may not have mentioned, but my truck is FI with a roots/positive displacement blower. What have you seen or experienced with timing higher than 40* in the "cruise" range? Thanks again.

Tuner
    BTW I've checked highway consumption, got about 17mpg at 60-65mph and ~2400rpm (3.73 gear)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune View Post
    Here are some settings I used to improve a 2001 Z06 Vette's MPG.

Attachment 190
    Can I do similar on a 3.6 TT VSport?

Tuner
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was trying to open up the attachment EC_tune has in #10 post and I can not. Does anyone else have this issue, am I doing something wrong or do I need to contact tech support?

Tuner in Training
    Did the same for me. Probably because it's such an old post.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BionicWS6 View Post
    Did the same for me. Probably because it's such an old post.
    same here i'm still trying to get that file from post 10 but not available. will someone help?