Thread: Help starting issue

Tuner in Training

Help starting issue

car starts and runs and drives. but when you 1st start It for the day(engine cold) it takes about 3 trys then it starts. now im new to tuning but trying to learn. below I will post what I have.

2002 5.3l
    2 bar sd
    4l80e
    76mm turbo
    80# seimans injectors
    e 85

im just trying to get this start and stahl problem figured out.

Tuner in Training
    74 views and no one with any ideas

74 views and no one could look at the tune or log......could be the reason........
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    well I would maybe figure someone might have sugestions. if everyone wasn't so picky about injector data then the tuning world for new guys would be easyer.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperperformance View Post
    well I would maybe figure someone might have sugestions. if everyone wasn't so picky about injector data then the tuning world for new guys would be easyer.
    Mess around with the Friction Airflow Intial and Startup Airflow initial (and associated decay values in the direction you are making changes) in the area's where the cold start has issues.

As far as picky about injector data, without it you are playing "pin the tail on the tune".....We all have either scoured the internet to find information, Paid for it or experimented till wee hurs in the morning to get the injector data to play so most are a bit "protective". But you can usually find what you need or develop from existing tunes, the data to support your project.

Turns out the 80 Siemens are especially tough to get to idle....

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 11-16-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    just want yall to know im not trying to be rude at all. just frustrated. I hate that in order to learn this stuff you run into stuff that almost top secret mean while we baught this program and are givin a basic instruction but nothing like this. iv don't countless searchs and looked for many videos. then we get people that put restriction on us like don't let anyone see your injector data.

us new guys to the tuning world that don't have someone right there to show us wanna learn to.
    Last edited by sniperperformance; 11-16-2014 at 07:18 PM.

just want yall to know im not trying to be rude at all. just frustrated. I hate that in order to learn this stuff you run into stuff that almost top secret mean while we baught this program and are givin a basic instruction but nothing like this. iv don't countless searchs and looked for many videos. then we get people that put restriction on us like don't let anyone see your injector data.

us new guys to the tuning world that don't have someone right there to show us wanna learn to.
    And not being rude back at you but buying the software doesn't come with a right of passage.......we have all spent 1000's of hours reading, studying, buying information and experimenting.....and failing :-)

In a previous thread I posted the way I think an issue/question should be presented....

So I (state what you did) because I believe (state what led you to go this route) but instead of it doing (state what you thought it would do) it did this (state what happened and how it was different than you thought) so what if I tried this (state a theory or hypotenuse).....

Ed M

[email protected]

look over this tune. This combo uses siemens 80# injectors and idles very good. I experimented with the numbers for the injector data until it worked. I think Greg Banish also furnishes data for these injectors if you want to purchase his tuning DVD. This particular combo should be similar to yours -

stock short block 6.0 w/317 heads unported
    84mm turbo
    3bar sd tune
    air to water intercooler + meth injection for cool intake air temps
    stage 3 turbo cam

this combo in a 99 mustang ran 7.32 @ 143mph in the 1000' 2 weeks ago at our local track at 18#'s boost

this combo is on gasoline (110 octane race gas) and I must say on E85 I think you will be out of injector very quickly
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    uuummmm I pretty sure im failing and going down the same path of trial and error. you mean to tell me no one else was there to give you ideas. lead you in a certain direction to help you learn. my questions wasn't please tune my car for me. it was simple. and at the same time honoring a request from a kind person who helped me out.

I build race engines, cars. this isn't tuning a carb and I guess somewhere along the way things have changed in the world of hot rodding. we used to help others find there way. we didn't do the work for them, but we certainly gave a kinder hand than what gos on today.

would I like to share my data. you bet yah!!! but im also a honorable man who intends to keep my word. if you came to me with a issue I would certainly try to lead you in the right direction, without a second thaught to it

but thankyou for your response
    Last edited by sniperperformance; 11-16-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Camaro View Post
    look over this tune. This combo uses siemens 80# injectors and idles very good. I experimented with the numbers for the injector data until it worked. I think Greg Banish also furnishes data for these injectors if you want to purchase his tuning DVD. This particular combo should be similar to yours -

stock short block 6.0 w/317 heads unported
    84mm turbo
    3bar sd tune
    air to water intercooler + meth injection for cool intake air temps
    stage 3 turbo cam

this combo in a 99 mustang ran 7.32 @ 143mph in the 1000' 2 weeks ago at our local track at 18#'s boost

this combo is on gasoline (110 octane race gas) and I must say on E85 I think you will be out of injector very quickly
    thankyou very much. I will look it up. im just having a hard time getting the car to start. sometimes it takes a couple trys to get is to start. if its cold out the 1st attempt is wont even try. the second attempt it will start run a second, then stall. 3rd time it starts and runs and idles great.

I will look at you injector data and your tue and see what more I can learn from it. thankyou so much for your help. as far as my injector and e85. this is just a get me going setup for now. im only going for 10-12 psi for now. till I can afford a better injector.
    Last edited by sniperperformance; 11-16-2014 at 08:00 PM.

uuummmm I pretty sure im failing and going down the same path of trial and error. you mean to tell me no one else was there to give you ideas. lead you in a certain direction to help you learn. my questions wasn't please tune my car for me. it was simple. and at the same time honoring a request from a kind person who helped me out.

I build race engines, cars. this isn't tuning a carb and I guess somewhere along the way things have changed in the world of hot rodding. we used to help others find there way. we didn't do the work for them, but we certainly gave a kinder hand than what gos on today.

would I like to share my data. you bet yah!!! but im also a honorable man who intends to keep my word. if you came to me with a issue I would certainly try to lead you in the right direction, without a second thaught to it

but thankyou for your response
    And all I said initially was to please post a tune and a log if you want some help....that is the mantra of this forum.....there is even a sticky dedicated to it. I also gave you 2 area's to work in an effort to improve your cold start issue.

Without the tune /log data, you will only get guesses as to what it might be. There are 10's of elements that combine to make shit work in these tunes and we really need the data to help develop a short list of educated suggestions.....

Ed M

[email protected]

I would say you are possibly letting frustration get in the way a little. It is quite overwhelming with a ton of information to almost decipher. It is not that this community does not want to help out but so many have spent endless hours and still spend hours learning what good would it do to any of us who are new to EFI tuning if they said "change this it will fix it". I want to know what I did or did not look at to find the answers. This community is extremely helpful and has been for years as shown by the countless answered questions, but they need the information in order to help. The very first post that you should have read " Sticky: If you want us to help with a tune or scan issue post your .hpt file, log & .cfg too.
    Started by jimmyblue, 10-19-2009". By posting the information then it will tell more of the story. Now PLAY NICE.

2006 Escalade LMM Duramax Tuned
    2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L
    56 GMC 100 Status Unknown

thankyou very much. I will look it up. im just having a hard time getting the car to start. sometimes it takes a couple trys to get is to start. if its cold out the 1st attempt is wont even try. the second attempt it will start run a second, then stall. 3rd time it starts and runs and idles great.

I will look at you injector data and your tue and see what more I can learn from it. thankyou so much for your help. as far as my injector and e85. this is just a get me going setup for now. im only going for 10-12 psi for now. till I can afford a better injector.
    make sure you open the file with 2.24 I opened it with the 2.25 beta and the VE doesn't display correctly.

Look at the Idle base running airflow tables - startup and friction airflow tables. This combo starts nicely and idles good - you should be able to compare and learn a lot from this tune.

hth and good luck
    JP

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    And all I said initially was to please post a tune and a log if you want some help....that is the mantra of this forum.....there is even a sticky dedicated to it. I also gave you 2 area's to work in an effort to improve your cold start issue.

Without the tune /log data, you will only get guesses as to what it might be. There are 10's of elements that combine to make shit work in these tunes and we really need the data to help develop a short list of educated suggestions.....

Ed M
    I understand. that where im in a pinch. I was asked not to show the data for injectors. is there a way I can hide that so I can post and get help. I would love to post it up

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrperformance View Post
    I would say you are possibly letting frustration get in the way a little. It is quite overwhelming with a ton of information to almost decipher. It is not that this community does not want to help out but so many have spent endless hours and still spend hours learning what good would it do to any of us who are new to EFI tuning if they said "change this it will fix it". I want to know what I did or did not look at to find the answers. This community is extremely helpful and has been for years as shown by the countless answered questions, but they need the information in order to help. The very first post that you should have read " Sticky: If you want us to help with a tune or scan issue post your .hpt file, log & .cfg too.
    Started by jimmyblue, 10-19-2009". By posting the information then it will tell more of the story. Now PLAY NICE.
    yes sir I completely agree im frustrated I have been sitting on this car for 2 years. and I have been threw all the hp tuners resoures (which have helped a lot). along with ls1 tech. trying many different tunes. lots of tial and error. and I guess that where it upset me. is I have had this car drivable for 2 year and cant get no where. time feels like it running to a end for me. and would love to leave this car behind for my son(reason I built it). but my biggest problem is having this info and being held back on not being able to post it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Camaro View Post
    make sure you open the file with 2.24 I opened it with the 2.25 beta and the VE doesn't display correctly.

Look at the Idle base running airflow tables - startup and friction airflow tables. This combo starts nicely and idles good - you should be able to compare and learn a lot from this tune.

hth and good luck
    JP
    thankyou so much I will try and compare and study more and learn.

Tuner in Training
    please understand yes I may be frustrated but im not mad at no one. this car is my responsibility and I would love to be the one to tune it. but I don't want to come across as mean or rude to no one.

you guys as tuners know what I mean when I say I was told not to share the data, as iv seen a lot of people talk about not doing so. it completely sucks

I understand. that where im in a pinch. I was asked not to show the data for injectors. is there a way I can hide that so I can post and get help. I would love to post it up
    You can zero out the injector data in the tune you want to post and tell us where the data came from. I know its like spy work, you could show several values in the tables so we can "interpolate" the balance of the injector data. Or you could pm your tune to a few of us who already have much of the data from Greg Banish etc..

Ed M

[email protected]