Thread: E10 Stoich and PE question...

Advanced Tuner

Question E10 Stoich and PE question...

Ok so... Ive been tinkering and FORGOT that we use E10 in Maryland (well... DC, MD and VA)...

So, after searching all over the place, I have found that 14.13 is stoich for E10. Ok. Got it. I understand that. Where Im confused is...

Should I do PE EQ ratio like this: 14.13/12.0=1.1775

Or like this: 14.68/12.0=1.2233

Im confused. I dont wanna blow my poor G8 up. LOL

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 11-04-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Do yourself a favor and forget afr and learn lambda. In your case 1/EQ = Lambda. Lambda is universal for all fuel types so .89 lambda is the same on gas as .89 lambda is on E85 or E10. Are you NA or Forced Induction? Ideally you should play with different mixtures to see what performs the best.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks LSxpwrdZ. I've been reading all day and I see now to learn Lambda. Sheesh. Confusion. Now I need to get a wideband that shows lambda because I don't think this Innovate mtx-l shows Lambda.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Thanks LSxpwrdZ. I've been reading all day and I see now to learn Lambda. Sheesh. Confusion. Now I need to get a wideband that shows lambda because I don't think this Innovate mtx-l shows Lambda.

Thanks again.
    If the wideband outputs a 0-5v signal you should be able to make HPtuners interpret that as lambda. Which you should do. Lambda is much easier thing to work with, especially with fuel stoich deviation. Lambda of 1.00 is stoich, you should probably never see anything much over 1.00 (but you may see oscillation up to 1.02 or 1.03 in Closed loop with fuel trims, or some lean spikes up to 1.05-1.10 during transients or other things). On the other side of 1.00 you are just looking at what lambda to run in PE which is less than 1.0 (rich). Typically anywhere from .95-.75 lambda for PE depending on a whole bunch of factors.

Also, FYI, 91-93 AKI (whatever is highest at your pump) will usually be less than E10. Usually about 5-10% ethanol. They say 10% max, and lower AKI fuels are probably close to 10%, but based on what I have read "Premium" is usually always less than 10% ethanol by a few percent.

Advanced Tuner
    I have yet to learn lambda, its on my next to do list.

For now I just set my PE a little richer, since my lc1 wide band is preset for pure gasoline, I just tune for a slightly richer A/F .

Im commanding 12.5 in PE

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxspeed96ct View Post
    I have yet to learn lambda, its on my next to do list.

For now I just set my PE a little richer, since my lc1 wide band is preset for pure gasoline, I just tune for a slightly richer A/F .

Im commanding 12.5 in PE

The whole country year round uses E10 unless you buy a specialty fuel. In AZ I have tested at different times of the year the premium gasoline. 10% on the nose every time. So I have not see a few percent less. My car seems to run strongest NA at 12.1 or so to 1. .85 lambda
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    The whole country year round uses E10 unless you buy a specialty fuel.
    Not true. We have 100% gas very plentiful in Oklahoma City. It costs about .25-.30 more per gallon than E10. Used to be about .10 more per gallon until about 6 months ago.

The whole country year round uses E10 unless you buy a specialty fuel. In AZ I have tested at different times of the year the premium gasoline. 10% on the nose every time. So I have not see a few percent less. My car seems to run strongest NA at 12.1 or so to 1. .85 lambda
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Not true. We have 100% gas very plentiful in Oklahoma City. It costs about .25-.30 more per gallon than E10. Used to be about .10 more per gallon until about 6 months ago.

Interesting to see it being right at 10%. I should test Colorado fuel. We just went to winter fuel recently... UGH.

I have one station near me that sells E0 91 AKI year round, but its about a dollar per gallon more than any other 91AKI.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    If you are paying more for it would you not consider it a specialty gasoline? I believe the EPA moved the whole country to E10.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

If you look at any factory calibration that is 2014 and newer the OEM is targeting 14.22 at stoich. The variance from station to station will be made up with closed loop adjustments.

Also note sure what your doing but unless you want 14.22 at WOT don't use stoich in your PE table.....
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline MS View Post
    If you look at any factory calibration that is 2014 and newer the OEM is targeting 14.22 at stoich. The variance from station to station will be made up with closed loop adjustments.

Correct. All fuel by EPA mandate year around is E10 unless you buy specialized fuel. In AZ at all times of the year in Tucson it is spot on.

Also note sure what your doing but unless you want 14.22 at WOT don't use stoich in your PE table.....
    Never have. Never will. 1.17

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Senior Tuner
    If you are paying more for it would you not consider it a specialty gasoline? I believe the EPA moved the whole country to E10.
    91 octane gas costs more than 87 octane gas. Is 91 octane gas a specialty fuel? I would consider a specialty fuel something that is not available at most gas stations. 100% gas is available at most gas stations here. 93 and 100 octane gas is available at only 2 or 3 stations in Oklahoma City and so I would consider those a specialty fuel here. E85 is not readily available here either. Only a few stations have it. Or fuels like Rocket brand that you buy in cans. But 100% gas? That is pretty normal gas for us here. Most stations have pumps for both E10 and 100% gas. People here complain that when they travel out of state that they have to buy the E10 crap because they are so used to still buying 100% gas here. It's all I buy.