Thread: First time tuning. could use a little guidance

Tuner in Training

First time tuning. could use a little guidance

i thought id make this thread as a reference for myself throughout this entire process.
    hopefully some others in my same situation can benefit from it as well.
    the vehicle is a 98 camaro, and it is only used for drag racing. so i will tuning it with a WB in OLSD.
    i have converted it to run 99+ pcm.
    and using a 00 pcm converting to 02 OS.

the engine is basically a cam only nitrous deal:
    SBE ls1 w/ stockish 243 heads. (performance valvejob only)
    236*/242* @ ~.610 lift 115 lsa
    ported Vicjr manifold w/ 90* elbow and 90mm TB. zex n2o plate.
    1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 headers w/ 3.5" collector. short pipe to dumped mufflers.
    th400 transmission w/ 10" converter. 4k rpm on hit
    spooled 12 bolt w/ 4.11

the car is actually finished and ready to go. all i need now is the basemap to start from. which has been by far the most daunting task for me so far.

i started with a stock 2002 file from a manual transmission camaro z28
    following the olsd startup guide by hptuners, so far these are the changes i have made:

-DTCs have been modified and set accordingly
    -MAF fail has been set to 0
    -EGR enabled (will be logging WB through egr circuit)
    -Primary VE table multiplied by 1.15
    -input injector data for 36# bosch white injectors
    -deactivated decel fuel cutoff
    -set PE EQ ratio to give me 12.5- 12.7 across the board (per initial suggestion)
    -set OL EQ to stoich
    -disabled CL enable table
    -disabled LTFT
    -disabled COT protection
    -copied HO spark tables to LO tables
    -removed TQ managment
    -removed cags
    -set gearing and tire size
    -removed vats
    -raised idle speed to 900 rpm from 111* up. will try to lower it once i reach that point.

Questions:
    1. there is a section to choose transmission type, i just put manual since its a rmvb th400 and thats how i remember ppl were doing it a few years ago when i first built the car. but theres an option for non electric auto. curious if selecting this is better for any reason?

2. does the pcm need to receive vehicle speed in order to be tuned or function correctly? i dont have a vsse hooked up atm.

3. no iacv. back when i built the car, there werent many aftetrmarket parts for the vic jr since it was just released. so we fabricated an aluminum elbow and used an accufab TB meant for a ford. is there anything i should modify in the tune to compensate for this?

4. i noticed there were still a few different spark advance modifiers still in effect in the engine tables. do i need to zero out these tables to not have any other influence affecting spark tuning, or do they need to be left alone for the time being?

5. even though the 02s dont have an EGR, i enabled it so i could use my wideband through the egr circuit in the pcm. however, i removed the DTCs from the list. do the DTCs for the egr need to be set like the MAF fail codes in order to be read?

i do still have a few questions, but my main concern is, will it be safe to startup the engine with this basemap?
    at this point, i just want to start it to make sure its mechanically sound, as well as check for leaks and make sure all other systems are in working order.

i still need to setup my scanner for the wideband. my brain goes blank looking at the formulas to set up AFR error. but i think im finally starting to grasp it.

i just want to shout out a thank you in advance. for years i thought i was in over my head, but its all starting to make sense now.

-BIG Willy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by big willy; 10-31-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added calibration file attachment

Tuner in Training
    could anyone lend a helping hand?
    very anxious to start this thing up!

Tuner in Training
    id also like to mention, the fuel system has been changed.
    a1000 pump feeding -10 to split -8 lines feeding each rail. adjustable FPR set to constant 60 psi. (non vacuum referenced.) also has -8 return line back to tank.

do i need to make any changes to compensate for this modified fuel system?

also, any ballpark changes to be made to idle tables for bigger cam and induction system?

any help would be appreciated.

im starting to feel like im asking the wrong questions here.

Tuner in Training
    anybody?
    am i asking stupid questions?
    i just dont want to have overlooked anything simple and cause any big issues if i start the car this way.
    help a noob out!