Thread: 06 F-150 with Vortech, Negative timing above or at 100kpa (0 psi)

Tuner

06 F-150 with Vortech, Negative timing above or at 100kpa (0 psi)

Looking for some answers here. It looks like when I get around 1.5load (0psi,0hg) or anywhere getting close to it, the timing goes into the negative numbers. And as I get further up into the throttle it’ll just keep submarining into the negative. We seemed to have solved it by just 0’ing out pretty much every table there is and running straight off the MBT and Borderline knock tables for timing control (both the same numbers). Based off the stock 06 F-150 tune for everything with spark, is there a specific table that would be causing this? Also there is no knock detected so that’s not pulling. And we 0’ed that out first with the same results.
    I just don’t really like having to basically put all my safety spark retard settings to 0, but it looks to be the only way we could find to control spark so far and have reasonable results.

Any ideas?
    (Stock tune included here as ref.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Can't help without the current tune that is having the issue
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner
    I was using the stock tune then just took some timing out of the MBT and Boarder Line Knock tables so it wouldn't go over what I wanted. But it would just dip right into the negatives as soon as I would get into it. so there must be something in the stock tune that is causing it to go negative timing right away. No knock or anything else that I could see triggering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbofox View Post
    I was using the stock tune then just took some timing out of the MBT and Boarder Line Knock tables so it wouldn't go over what I wanted. But it would just dip right into the negatives as soon as I would get into it. so there must be something in the stock tune that is causing it to go negative timing right away. No knock or anything else that I could see triggering it.
    Try setting Engine > Spark > Advance > Spark Tip-In > Tip-In RPM Max to 0.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Try setting Engine > Spark > Advance > Spark Tip-In > Tip-In RPM Max to 0.
    Thanks Eric! I'll give that a try first. I know the IAT numbers seem to be -30 and -60 etc. Will they actually pull that much timing??!! Or is it more of some type of multiplier? I'd like to correctly have it pull timing if needed if the IAT's get out of control, but if i set it for (example) -5 at 200 deg. Will it pull that amount of spark? Or does it use another table and multiply etc to pull an amount of spark?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbofox View Post
    Thanks Eric! I'll give that a try first. I know the IAT numbers seem to be -30 and -60 etc. Will they actually pull that much timing??!! Or is it more of some type of multiplier? I'd like to correctly have it pull timing if needed if the IAT's get out of control, but if i set it for (example) -5 at 200 deg. Will it pull that amount of spark? Or does it use another table and multiply etc to pull an amount of spark?
    There is a multiplier table for ACT, ECT and CHT. It multiplies those two together to give you the amount of timing it will retard from base for these conditions

[QUOTE=Turbofox;365562Also there is no knock detected so that’s not pulling.[/QUOTE]

how are you logging knock?
    2008 Sky RL

Tuner
    Just looking at knock voltage at the moment. We have an idea with using the SCT stuff where the mv is at with knock etc. Plus just logging driving around what the values are it at least give a little idea of what’s going on knock wise.