Thread: need help backfires and stalls after dyno

Tuner in Training

need help backfires and stalls after dyno

I have a 98 c5 with 408 mild cam and 40lb injectors. Did a mail order tune and the car ran decent. Decided to get a dyno tune and now if I go wot it dies and backfires. The tuner put the original tune back in and same thing happens. The afr drops to 10 once you wot. The afr is real erratic when driving normal jumps to 17 and goes straight to 10. I am getting a p1133 code o2 bank1 sensor 1. Did change the crank senor and checked for any exhaust and vacuum leaks. Not sure what to look for if its a tune issue or mechanical. I attached a scan log and tune file. I appreciate any help. Thanks
    cutt off scan.hpl 98 c5 408.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Try reposting your log, appears to be an error with it, I cant open.

Tuner in Training
    I finally was able to get another scan.I was talking to a few people and they think it might be the pcm. Let me know what you guys think before I spend more money. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Have a maf you can swap?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Have a maf you can swap?
    I bought another brand new one and replaced it. It didn't change the problem.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    tune SD
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Senior Tuner
    Your pegging your maf and injectors by 5000 rpm. The above advice is correct.

Again, what is the AFR at WOT pull? Most of log shows very rich. If super rich, you need to get that in-line before declaring defeat at wot. Not saying that you won't have to scale the tune for air flow (Tune right now is MAF only), but might save you the cost of a set of injectors.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    This problem happened after taking the car to the dyno tuner something he changed in the tune or damaged the pcm is causing the car to shut off at wot?
    Car ran extremely rich before taking it to him (afr pegged at 10)but did not die and cut off going wot. Injectors pegged because the computer is telling them to dump so much fuel? I tried running the car open loop by disconnecting the front 02's ( no change ) I turned off the maf (no change ) I am going to install new denso 02 sensors this weekend but doubt that could be the reason it's cutting off. The first dyno pull was a clean pull all the way to redline no shut down or backfire after he "tweaked" the tune the problems happened. The tuner claims all he did was add some timing and take away some fuel. I don't know

Did a certain Tuner in Houston do this tune?
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Look where I have the cursor in your log. Your TP is still at 100%, your IPW is still 19ms, and your O2 sensor voltages are dropping like a rock. I think that for whatever reason you are losing fuel pressure.

log.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Look where I have the cursor in your log. Your TP is still at 100%, your IPW is still 19ms, and your O2 sensor voltages are dropping like a rock. I think that for whatever reason you are losing fuel pressure.

log.JPG
    losing fuel pressure even though my fuel pressure gauge never drops below 60psi?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post

log.JPG

But don't it look like the sensor voltage drops after the engine has cut off?

Tuner in Training
    yes runs very rich at wot the afr is pegged at 10 even before it goes wot
    why is it doing that shouldn't it be in open loop at wot and go by whatever is entered in the tune?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Again, what is the AFR at WOT pull? Most of log shows very rich. If super rich, you need to get that in-line before declaring defeat at wot. Not saying that you won't have to scale the tune for air flow (Tune right now is MAF only), but might save you the cost of a set of injectors.

Ed M
    yes runs very rich at wot the afr is pegged at 10 even before it goes wot
    why is it doing that shouldn't it be in open loop at wot and go by whatever is entered in the tune?

it will only follow what is entered in the tune if the airflow is properly modeled (maf or ve)

Did anything physically change on the car? Are you positive your wideband is reading correctly? Log idle airflow and idle adapt PID's to see if the idle trims are out of place. Send me the logs when you get that done and I'll modify the file for you.

I sent you an email with some information as well.
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 12-10-2014 at 02:21 AM.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Ok, first off sometimes they will cut off when you are MAF only on the dyno with a big cam and you have not got your fuel right down low. Don't worry about that right now, fix the fuel every where else, then fix the VE table from 3600 and down turn your high speed air to 2500 and you will be fine. You shouldn't have to tell your tuner to do this. You have to check that WBO2, just a sanity check to make sure it is good.