Thread: Hp tuners has horrible customer service!!

Tuner in Training

Hp tuners has horrible customer service!!

Here's my story. A couple weeks ago my buddy bought a modded 2006 pontiac gto (bigger cam, intake, exhuast, etc) and asked me to tune his car. I hook my hp tuners software up to it and do a Read Entire. The tune in the car was not a factory tune so I started to change some tables to get it to start up easier and blah blah blah. I get the car running decent but its still runs like crap randomly. So I use my own 05 GTO Stock tune since its already in my cables tunes and write entire it to the car. After its completed the car wont start, just cranks and cranks. I hook my vcm scanner up to the vehicle only to discover it wont connect... I then realize it must have bricked the ecm. I contact HP tuners only to get a response of they dont offer any repairs. Thats fine ill bite the bullet and buy a new $500 ecu from gm. I receive the ecu a week later and install it into the car, I relearn the theft deterrant system and connect my cable to do a read entire so I can start tuning again only to realize I need to purchase credits again. No biggie Ill just contact HP tuners and see why I have to purchase credits for the same vehicle that their system system bricked the ecu up on. Here are my emails from them,

William:Single vcm licenses are for a single vcm , not multiple, so when you try to tune a new pcm the software will ask you to license the new pcm.

Me:Can I get a credit towards 2 credits since hp tuners locked my old ECU up?

William: Unfortunately not for multiple reasons, but the first of which being that you did a write entire with someone elses file from what I can tell in my emails.

Me: It was my personal 05 gto Stock tune. Not a modified tune at all, the first one pulled from the car

Me: I feel I don't deserve to pay another $100 for 2 credits toward a vehicle when it was already licensed and I wrote another E40 tune to the car that was my original stock tune to it. If something is different between an 05/06 gto then you guys should disclaim that. I also feel that if you look and see that I've spent hundreds of dollars on licenses for many different vehicles with no problems then that shows a loyal customer. If you can't help me out I won't be purchasing any more from you guys and will steer as many people as I can from purchasing your product and use a different brand. It's also pretty bad that I have had to go thru this much effort to get a credit towards a measly 2 credits. I can understand me paying for the new ecu but a new license.... I mean come on now...

If you try and write a tune from a 98 camaro into a 02 it wont let you as the software is different, but in the 05/06 gto it'll let you. How are we supposed to know this as novice tuners? You think with the money I have spent with them and the people I have convinced to get their product they could help a good customer out. Its not like i'm asking for $500 to replace the ecu... I have still yet to get an email back from them also. This is going on to the BBB, Ripoff report, Facebook, Forums and any other social media site I can find.

Sincerely, Jose Sabala

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its been covered several times on our forum that flashing someone elses file into a pcm runs the risk of frying it, with E38/E67's we even had to put a sticky in the gen 4 section as it will essentially tunerlock the pcm if you write a newer file to an older pcm and vice versa. You say its our fault that your pcm fried yet our help file says to read the pcm and modify that file, it says nothing about read the file from your pcm then take a file from someone elses vehicle and write that as your own.

If it were a fault of our software we have no problem issuing credits but in this case it was not our software's fault.

Here is some additional information regarding this http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...0-with-HPT-Why

Also to touch on your point about 98's vs 02's 98 LS1's use a completely different pcm and while it may look similar the internals are different as are the operating systems ie segmented vs single segment so comparing them to E40 is like apples to oranges in this case.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 10-20-2014 at 01:49 AM.