Thread: Expensive loss

Expensive loss

Hey lads just wanted to give some the heads up regarding the HP tuners MVPI unit and its worth, just recently i had all my tuning hardware "stolen/lost" and this was the first part that can be majorly annoying loosing laptops/interfaces/files/codes etc etc and trying to deal with insurance companys that give zero fhucks.

The next part is equally annoying and iam not here pointing fingers but !!! As per the agreement of HP TUNERS/vcm suite the agreement we enter into at the start when buying this product is something to consider now from my loss before to could become yours !

So after licensing many many vin's/cars over my time i found out that its not as simple as buying a new MPVI unit and syncing it up with my account... Oh no its a good buy thousands of dollard worth of licensed vin's and hello buying/paying for them again !

One may say "yeh knew that" but i did think from the technology available in todays market you could block or lock the old MPVI serial number, add a new one and link it all up to the owners/workshops account and carry on like nothing happened, but apparently there is a flaw in the system where people have fraudulently used this method to benifit themselves, dont know how but apparently so ...

Now to be fair if u damage your interface hp can fix it or at least see u have it to replace but if it gets stolen ull end up out of pocket twice essentially. Fair bit pissed off because each and every licenses is bought off the customer page and logged against a vin so no idea how u can make up u had more cars licenced than u paid for but apparently theres a loop hole so no love to anyone who gets done over.

Making this effort to let people know that u need to look after these devices with greater care than " ill just get another one if its stolen" as ull lose out more than u initially think

Keep em locked up lads

Oh and if anyone see's a 2nd hand unit around take note of the serial number and let me know because it might be my very expensive unit and id love to get it back !!!

Cheers Aaron from JD TUNING
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Hopefully it turns up, Is there a way for it to alert HP when they try to buy credits or something like that? Where did it get stolen from? Surely can only be a few suspects or was a whole lot of stuff taken?

Hp credits can only be bought off the customer page or once loaded onto the customer page but that needs the serial number and password then the activation code off my email so doubtfull its any good to anyone

And all that was taken was everything needed for tuning nothing else so very suspicious indeed !!

Was a sure fire way to make sure i really did give it up once and for all hey lol

Iam sure itl end up in some punks hands who trys to gumtree it one day and iam looking cause i got nothing else to do now lol
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    It is extremely concerning that HP Tuners have flaw in the system that allows other people to use these licenses. They need to explain this to their customers.

If you accessed your email/HP tuners accounts,... from the laptop, then change the passwords on all accounts immediately. They are usually cached on the browser so the criminal can easily get access to this information.

All this extra headache added on top of coping with the theft. You have my sympathy.

To be clear, if somebody steals your cable and wants to use it, they need your application key. Treat your application key like a password... Don't share it. A stolen cable is useless without that key.

HPT's in a tough spot on stolen cables. What stops somebody from dumping a ton of money into unlimited licensing, then reporting the cable as stolen and having HPT replace it with all the credits? Now suddenly, somebody can have another cable worth tens of thousands of dollars for free. It would be too easy for people to be dishonest.

If you need to protect yourself against a stolen cable, then find an insurance company that will write a policy for the cable and it's value. Period.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylC View Post
    It is extremely concerning that HP Tuners have flaw in the system that allows other people to use these licenses. They need to explain this to their customers.
    Its not a flaw, the licenses are stored on the interface, wherever it goes so do the licenses, we can close the account so no further credits are purchased on it but if the person who stole it has access to the software & the app key ie if they stole the laptop too or by some other less than truthful means the interface can still still be used its a big reason this is ALREADY explained here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ment-interface stickied in our FAQ section for the last 7 or so years.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    To be clear, if somebody steals your cable and wants to use it, they need your application key. Treat your application key like a password... Don't share it. A stolen cable is useless without that key.

HPT's in a tough spot on stolen cables. What stops somebody from dumping a ton of money into unlimited licensing, then reporting the cable as stolen and having HPT replace it with all the credits? Now suddenly, somebody can have another cable worth tens of thousands of dollars for free. It would be too easy for people to be dishonest.

If you need to protect yourself against a stolen cable, then find an insurance company that will write a policy for the cable and it's value. Period.
    Exactly, had a potential customer do this recently, he got the interface from a guy who had reported it as stolen to his insurance company for the $ and then gave the interface to someone else as a pay off for a debt, wonderful world we live in.