Thread: Help with SD tune, I feel like Its trying to refeance the MAF

Advanced Tuner

Help with SD tune, I feel like Its trying to refeance the MAF

I have a 06 TBSS , trying to tune in speed density.

I have the high / low fail set to 0, the maf enable RPM maxed out at 8192
    The maf is actually unplugged (iat breakout)

and the SES at - 2 no mil light ( I'm unsure of this , some set it to 0 ?)

As I go WOT the truck is lean from idle to about 2800 rpm . No matter how I rich in up the cells nothing changes. Almost seems like its trying to initially reference the maf on initial wot from a dig.

Any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxspeed96ct View Post
    I have a 06 TBSS , trying to tune in speed density.

I have the high / low fail set to 0, the maf enable RPM maxed out at 8192
    The maf is actually unplugged (iat breakout)

and the SES at - 2 no mil light ( I'm unsure of this , some set it to 0 ?)

As I go WOT the truck is lean from idle to about 2800 rpm . No matter how I rich in up the cells nothing changes. Almost seems like its trying to initially reference the maf on initial wot from a dig.

Any suggestions ?
    Thats the issue. Should be set to 0. If you don't want a SES light then un-check enable SES.

Same settings for P0101, P0102. P0103.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you.

Looking forward to logging some runs tomorrow .

Advanced Tuner
    Did some runs last night , same problem but the low Kpa numbers are not consistent . Showing I'm very lean and then it goes super rich and levels out after . No matter my corrections it doesn't change much .

The commanded afr is accurate

My PE delay is 3200 which is my stall speed . But that shouldn't be the problem since I see the right commanded afr in the scanner .

My next question is , could be wideband be to far back causeing delayed readings ?

I have it in the secondary 02 bung . (I'm catless)

Advanced Tuner
    bump, anyone else ?

I have p0068 values maxed out so it never enables . can this be giving me issues ?

You still have your Dynamic airflow set at 3600 and 3500. Bump them up to 8192 and 8191, and why is your throttle increase rat table set like that? 100% that fucker
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

Did some runs last night , same problem but the low Kpa numbers are not consistent . Showing I'm very lean and then it goes super rich and levels out after . No matter my corrections it doesn't change much .

The commanded afr is accurate

My PE delay is 3200 which is my stall speed . But that shouldn't be the problem since I see the right commanded afr in the scanner .

My next question is , could be wideband be to far back causeing delayed readings ?

I have it in the secondary 02 bung . (I'm catless)
    Okay, so a few things.

Do you have the wideband O2 sensor being logged in HPT? If not, consider it. There is really no better way to calibrate than by using lambda (and lambda error).

Then...

It doesn't appear you are running in open loop, so are fuel trims enabled and controlling fuel? You should disable closed loop and STFT and LTFT during calibration, log the lambda error from the wideband and then makes changes based on the lambda error.

I would first calibrate the MAF sensor. Search for guides on doing this. You need to move Dynamic Airflow>High RPM Disable to max and min to disable and enable the MAF sensor only. First start with the enable speed below idle speed, so that the engine is only using the MAF sensor for airflow calc. After you have the MAF sensor calibrated, create a histogram based on the VE table and in that histogram/VE table, log "calculated VE" values based on MAF data. The VE table should not look like this. It should be smooth.

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 8.18.46 PM.png

This is more what is should look like:

By creating a VE table based on ACCURATE MAF sensor data you will have a very good and smooth starting point for then calibrating the VE table (which it sounds like you are attempting to do). To calibrate the VE table you need to fail the MAF (as discussed above). When you have the MAF failed, you should have High RPM Disable set to max (8192) so that only the VE table is in use. I am not sure what changes you have made expecting fueling changes while in SD mode, but the bread and butter of fuel control comes from the VE table.

The PE delay is just an RPM limit in which PE is delayed below it. Nothing to do with stall speed, but I can see your reasoning here (the engine will immediately hit that speed before major load is applied). As far as PE engagement, the one thing you may have overlooked is the PE Throttle/Pedal TPS Threshold. This is based on some interesting and kind of complicated math (search around). Anyway, you probably want it lower than 87%. Experiment with around 20-40% TPS here.

The wideband should be within about 12-36" of the combustion chamber ideally. You should consider moving it to the front bung (you don't need the front O2 sensors when in open loop if you are tuning via lambda/wideband, but keep the sensor on the side without the wideband active so you can verify rich/lean conditions vs the wideband data in the other bank.

Good luck!
    Last edited by griffincox; 10-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GXPLS4 View Post
    You still have your Dynamic airflow set at 3600 and 3500. Bump them up to 8192 and 8191, and why is your throttle increase rat table set like that? 100% that fucker

I'll set that , I originlay thought it didn't matter with the maf fail set to 0.

The throttle rate is like that stock. I figured I should need to mess with that .
    For better response should I 100% the entire thing or just the higher position areas ?
    Last edited by Maxspeed96ct; 10-24-2014 at 08:40 AM.

My whole table is 100%
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GXPLS4 View Post
    My whole table is 100%

done, look forward to doing some pulls this weekend
    Last edited by Maxspeed96ct; 10-24-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I did some of pulls today, and when launching from a dead stop The low rpm high KPA numbers were still coming up lean on the histogram but I know it was just a delay.

around 2400 rpm the numbers level out , so I just did the 99 kpa 2400 rpm and below cells by hand. And according to the butt dyno its damm good.

My next question is, how flat should the A/F be ?

No matter how much I correct, Im still between 12.3 and 12.6 range as im commanding 12.45 .... Is it normal for the A/F to fluctuate that much ?

I must add for mods I have 4" intake , exhaust and mild cam.

I did some of pulls today, and when launching from a dead stop The low rpm high KPA numbers were still coming up lean on the histogram but I know it was just a delay.

around 2400 rpm the numbers level out , so I just did the 99 kpa 2400 rpm and below cells by hand. And according to the butt dyno its damm good.

My next question is, how flat should the A/F be ?

No matter how much I correct, Im still between 12.3 and 12.6 range as im commanding 12.45 .... Is it normal for the A/F to fluctuate that much ?

I must add for mods I have 4" intake , exhaust and mild cam.
    What are you correcting?

Have you calibrated the MAF and VE tables? If so, then actual lambda will be within a few percent of commanded lambda in every operating condition.

Advanced Tuner
    Just correcting the ve against my wideband % error in the histo.
    there's no maf in the truck .

When I launch from a dig the wideband just doesn't register fast enough, it's displaying my idle a/f in the histogram for the split second I mash the throttle. I think it has to do with how fast the stall flashes .
    The idle to 2400 rpm 99kpa area is what I have trouble with .
    Once I hit about 2500 rpms the histo corrects itself and the everything is accurate again.

I'm debating on doing a short 3rd gear pull with the conveyer locked from 1500rom to about 3000 just to get one accurate log in the 99kpa low rpm range of the ve

I've switched to the innovate lc1 wideband and I must say I like it a lot better then the aem . It seems to register faster and bounce around less . I haven't gotten a chance to mess with the innovative logging software yet .

Just correcting the ve against my wideband % error in the histo.
    there's no maf in the truck .

When I launch from a dig the wideband just doesn't register fast enough, it's displaying my idle a/f in the histogram for the split second I mash the throttle. I think it has to do with how fast the stall flashes .
    The idle to 2400 rpm 99kpa area is what I have trouble with .
    Once I hit about 2500 rpms the histo corrects itself and the everything is accurate again.

I'm debating on doing a short 3rd gear pull with the conveyer locked from 1500rom to about 3000 just to get one accurate log in the 99kpa low rpm range of the ve

I've switched to the innovate lc1 wideband and I must say I like it a lot better then the aem . It seems to register faster and bounce around less . I haven't gotten a chance to mess with the innovative logging software yet .
    Sounds like you could be seeing some delay between the wideband and your laptop. The closer the wideband to combustion, the less latency.

Do you have a log showing what you are experiencing? Is your VE table more smooth now? It should be very smooth across the entire surface.

Advanced Tuner
    I agree there's some sort of delay, I just cant figure out why. Im logging just the necessary pids, keeping it to a minimum, my wideband is in the front 02 bung.

Is it my computer ?

Here's a pic below of one of my short dig runs, as you can see it claims the 99kpa low rpm cells are extremely lean. But ive verified its a delayed reading , seem like its still loggin my idle af for a split second.

Then at about 2400 rpms the reading seems to catch up as the converter isnt slipping as fast then.

I ended up just adjusting those cells by hand, the truck feels good but Id like to make sure its right. Im debating on command locking the converter for a short 1200rpm to 3000rpm pull, just not sure which gear to do it in.

I agree there's some sort of delay, I just cant figure out why. Im logging just the necessary pids, keeping it to a minimum, my wideband is in the front 02 bung.

Is it my computer ?

Here's a pic below of one of my short dig runs, as you can see it claims the 99kpa low rpm cells are extremely lean. But ive verified its a delayed reading , seem like its still loggin my idle af for a split second.

Then at about 2400 rpms the reading seems to catch up as the converter isnt slipping as fast then.

I ended up just adjusting those cells by hand, the truck feels good but Id like to make sure its right. Im debating on command locking the converter for a short 1200rpm to 3000rpm pull, just not sure which gear to do it in.

This could just be actual lean condition (transient or otherwise) or the fact that PE fueling has been commanded (something less than lambda 1.0) and the actual lambda hasn't caught up. In my experience it takes the fuel bump about .25-.5 seconds to register on my system which is a fast Mac (OS X 10.10), emulating windows 7 and using a NGK Powerdex AFX.

How many counts are in these cells? In my vehicle with a 2500-2600ish RPM stall speed, I certainly can't register much data in the fields. At that load/manifold pressure the engine is immediately at 2000 rpm+.

You should post a log so we can see whats going on.
    Last edited by griffincox; 12-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    It's not a actual lean condition because I've tried dramatically increasing those cells and my readings don't change . I can tell from watching the gauge before I nail the throttle the lean a/f it reports in hp tuners is actually my idle a/f .

I usually try to get at least 3-4 counts going wot .

My loggs show exactly what that histogram pic shows .

I have my Pe delay at 3200 , but yet looking at the histograms it shows its commanding pe right when the tps limits are set aka as soon as I nail the throttle . Is that normal ?

Is there any way to log pe delay ?
    Last edited by Maxspeed96ct; 11-05-2014 at 04:45 AM.

Is it my computer ?

Is there a program settings option to change data transfer rate to/from laptop? I know my Forscan software has a data rate variable in settings. Higher rate = more data points, and more accurate outcome for plotting charts.