Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 first attemp at a tune may need some adult supervision

MMGT1 thanks for the help I will figure it out
    Last edited by Redtruck1; 11-26-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Did you get the cfg. to run for you?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Not yet on the config file but have been playing with injection timing and engine timing. Moved the injection timing 1.7 and used mikes idle timing runs better but can't get idle above 750 now

MMGT1 Just started driving truck after long winter I have decided to install 2500 stall converter, truck runs great now I am having a chuggle at coast down feels like drive line slack. my question is will the converter fix this or is more tune needed.

Senior Tuner
    Are you scanning for DFCO? Make sure your not dipping in and out, can make it feel like that. If DFCO is good, or off for tuning, Id go back to looking at timing(tables blend nicely from idle to drive for example)and RAF and make sure it's right(You have to get that Idle Hito working). I leave DFCO on and just filter those cells from the log in histos. Once the stall is in it will make a big difference. Might be a little low there IMO. I'd go higher on the stall, 2800 at least. I'm going to look back and see if you posted what your cam size is.

GM Stage 2 cam right... I would order a 32-3400 for it, just my 2cnts, your call. It is still a very street worthy stall, you'd be surprised and you'll know you stalled it at that level. Who are you thinking of with your stall if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by MMGT1; 03-25-2015 at 10:02 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

still shopping stall don't know yet. think I figured out drive line feel, when I installed v8 in place of v6 didn't think of drive shaft with engine set back will check it out when I install stall.

Senior Tuner
    Couple buddies now have dealt with Chris at Circle D and the guys on LS1 seem to really like their stuff, he's good. If you talk to him he'll go through your build with ya and give you the right one. I'll be tuning one of his stalls in about two or three weeks. Car is being built right now, 83 ElCamino with a SS 6L a 4l80E and one if his 3200 stalls
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Many people run the Circle D stalls. THey are a good quality converter. I personally only run Circle D, Yank, or FTI.

Thanks just emailed Chris at Circle d let the fun begin.

Chris recommends a 3000 to 3200 stall that's higher than I thought I will give that a try in next couple of weeks thanks for the information.

Senior Tuner
    Yup, pretty much exactly where I thought he'd put you. You'll like the stall there. Only lock it in fourth above 42mph, you will gain a whole new love for your truck.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 03-29-2015 at 07:41 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I installed the circle D 3200 stall convertor for a couple of weeks now. WOW what a different truck such a big change I would recommend this to any big cam install. I still have a rich idle problem, with the emission testing for my tag coming up I need to change something so it will pass. The wide band shows 12.6 to 13.8 at idle and it defiantly has a rich smell. I have it idling at 983 now cant take it above 1000 for the emission test standard. Can the fuel mixture at idle be changed but not off idle?

Log your lambda error and change the VE table in the idle area. You can also change your stoich settings into be leaner then add just to achieve Lambda 1.

sorry layman's terms please still trying to learn

Are you logging a wideband O2?

yes

Okay so search lambda error setup and you will have to log AFR commanded hi res, commanded lambda and log your wideband in lambda. Setup user defined lambda error and the histogram gets copied then paste multiple to the VE table in the idle area. If you command 1.00 (typically 14.68) the histogram will show say 1.02 for example. That's a 2 percent error that gets pasted to the VE table. I run my AFR around 15.2-14.8 in the drivability to run a little cleaner and better mileage. Logging in lambda is an absolute easy way for us begging rs to correct fueling issues.

cool I will do this tomorrow will let you know how it turns out

Thanks!!!!!!