Thread: soldered wires & how they affect voltage between the sensor & vcm

Advanced Tuner

soldered wires & how they affect voltage between the sensor & vcm

I'm about to add an iat pigtail to a 2003 Silverado that no longer has a maf. If I were to buy a pigtail harness and solder it into the black and tan wires from the maf harness, is there a particular solder I should use? I just don't want to use the wrong one if it even matters. I know adding too much wire can add resistance and affect voltage, so I assumed a soldered joint could potentially be an issue.

Advanced Tuner
    PROPERLY soldered, typical 60/40 rosin core solder will do absolutely nothing as far as resistance.

The fact that you are asking this makes me question if you know how to properly solder though. If you can, excuse me, but if you have never done it or you've done it once before, you're better off crimping with high quality butt splices.

Advanced Tuner
    I've soldered many things over the years, primarily stereo equipment though. I never had to add to or extend any engine wiring though...just wanted to make sure it was safe to do and wouldn't disrupt any signals. I'm also a welder and welding inspector, so quality and strength are always my main concerns when joining two or more components, regardless of process or procedure used. I assure you, I'm qualified to solder a couple iat wires. I'm only familiar with the fact that there are several different types of solder, not so much their specific applications. I have some 60/40 rosin core, which was why I made this thread, to see if it was acceptable to use...I suppose I could have mentioned that in my first post...

Thanks.